Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Team 21 Lung Bloods

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by CToutdoorsman, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

You guys and your projects motivated me to be productive today. I organized my ozone locker and leaned the ozone generator and got it up and running in preparation for September 15th.

2. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It's becoming contagious!!!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. John adams

John adams Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im really liking the setup, I needddd something like this

4. Rampaige

Dislikes Received:
    It works pretty well from what I'm able to tell. The ozone itself has a unique smell that is definitely detectable, but all other odors are gone. I can put a musty towel in there and it smells clean overnight. The Rubbermaid drawers were an afterthought and they just happen to fit in there. They work perfect though. I have seen a lot of the commercial "lockers" with the cloth enclosure and a metal frame. At Walmart they call them "portable lockers" and they sell for $35. I wish I had seen those before I built mine because I had one already. That's where I keep my bird hunting stuff. The generator itself was only like $35 but I spend $100 building the locker. If they claim to work as well, I'd just buy a portable closet and an O3 generator.

John adams likes this.
  5. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mostly sitting over wallows in ground blind on private ground. We won't spot and stalk too much. My dad is 65 and broke his leg earlier this year. He is walking 1.5 miles a day every morning with about 300-400 ft elevation gain. I might end up pushing him a little if we hear a bull nearby. My limited experience elk hunting has mostly been hear and stalk. Mountain thermals and winds are usually as tough as the elk.

This will probably be my dad's last hunt using compound bow. Bad shoulder is hurting him and crossbow is probably in his near future. As he says....it sucks to get old. I always remind him it sucks to not get old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John adams likes this.
  6. John adams

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I've looked at a couple but I felt they were always a bit pricey. I'll have to look into the Walmart ones

7. John adams

Dislikes Received:
    My dad and I bought some a few years ago. I don't use mine too much but dad does. He loves it. Look at Parker crossbows

8. CToutdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was scrolling through the forums and say a spot in the deer contest for captain announcements, team names and if anybody is missing @virginiashadow I think we are still missing one guy.

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Took care if it, thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rknierim and CToutdoorsman like this.
  10. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, sorry I'm late. Been crazy busy with a funeral, kids back to school and working overtime. I'm Dave, 42 from south central IL. RK I'm not too far from you, live by Salem, work in Flora, hunt Fayette and Marion co. I've managed to get my food plots in, and hung the cameras last week. I have been shooting some, I'll ramp up more in the next couple of weeks. I'll try to stay better in touch in the future ;)

11. John adams

Dislikes Received:
    so what's everybody's thought on doe estrus/pee throughout the season and what's is you're favorite brands to use?

12. Rampaige

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had luck with it. I'm not opposed to it but I've tried Code Blue, Tinks, Buck Bomb etc. and have seen bucks, young and old, walk by without any noticeable reaction. Maybe I use them wrong, but in theory it would be difficult to set yourself up to keep your scent out of the wind/thermals, while using the wind/thermals to carry the scents the direction you want. I've tried a scent drags, hanging cotton tabs, sprays, and 60-yard figure 8's and nothing's worked.

13. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use it to freshen scrapes. I also pee in scrapes. Whizzing is a lot cheaper. I've used the same as rampaige.

I usually put on boot pads when walking in closer to the rut. I've seen young bucks follow my exact line. No big shooters.

My friend swears by nose hammer which is vanilla. I've used a few times and have never heard so many does blow at me from far away. Might as well have been wearing bells.

I'll still use in scrapes this year and on boots. I've used around tree I'm in and I'm not sure it is doing anything. I've had does go past me downwind. Not sure I can say it was because of urine smell or maybe a thermal drifting my scent up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. CToutdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have had good success with Tinks in mock scrapes and really good success with grave diggers dented soil I tell you what I have never seen deer tear up a ground so much

Sent from my iPod touch using Bowhunting.com Forums

John adams likes this.
  15. John adams

Dislikes Received:
    yeah i've used the nose jammer stuff as well. don't like it. I felt like the deer came thru more alert and uneasy. same way with the ever calm stuff. I put that out around a camera one year and didn't get one deer on camera after that

16. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use anything. Bucks don't seem to be very aggressive where I hunt. If I play my cards wrong with scents and calls I've noticed a lot of negative reactions from bucks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

John adams likes this.
  17. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And I swear by evercalm. I've had deer downwind watch me draw on them, or take phone out to take their pic, and never spook. I love the stuff. Maybe it smells more like my area deer. Who knows

Sent from my SM-G920V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

John adams likes this.
  18. John adams

Dislikes Received:
    yeah I think what you said about the scent is a big factor. like Virginia said about how the deer in his area act towards scent and calling. that's what's so fascinating in my opinion is how differently deer can act and how scent can differ in different parts of the country.

rknierim and CToutdoorsman like this.
  19. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Howdy, just checking in. Been busy chasing pronghorn. I'll be hunting three states for deer this year so hopefully I can help the team out. Live in South Dakota, but hunt numerous states a year.

20. CToutdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    It happened today...after shooting for 20 minuets and shooting good groups with my broad heads I became angry with not being able to wait anymore, all I want to do is sit in a tree. That's all I want right now lol :bigcry:

18andrew and John adams like this.