Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Team 20 - lung busters official thread

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by illinibowhunter, Jul 20, 2016.

1. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is a fantastic buck. Public isn't easy either. What's the story behind it? What are you seeing in Illinois? Just got out for a quick 2 hour sit. Northwest winds usually produce more movement at our place. Good luck in Illinois and anyone else that is out.

I keep looking at that buck. Really cool and unique. Trip was worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's been slow really. It's starting to pick up but the temps had them laid up I think.

He shot this one following a hot doe. She came running out of the brush with her tongue out, a 6 and 8 point in tow. They sniffed around then the big one stepped out. Gave him a 20 something yard shot.

3. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Saw one decent 8 point running looking for does. He was probably 200 yards off. Probably 10 deer total. Most all really late. Some lower temps will get them up early.

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had a blast in Wisconsin. I had a Giant walk in behind me on the second day about 15 yards. Wind changed directions and he busted me. I saw deer everyday, but nothing I wanted to shoot. I can;t wait to go back. The Rut is going strong here in NC and I am heading out this weekend!

5. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear you had a good trip!

6. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Buddy hunting across the road from our farm saw 14 bucks this morning. Had one wall hanger bedded with a hot doe. He was chasing off all the smaller bucks. He almost got a shot, but a small buck was in the way. Said he had never witnessed all of that so close.

The neighbors of our farm are logging their woods right now. Luckily I know the guy logging. They got out by 1 today and aren't going in until Monday again. My dad said they were logging this morning and I thought my weekend was shot. They still have standing corn on the same farm which is oddly late for them. Excited about 29 degree morning tomorrow and seeing some movement.

Good luck out there. Let's hear some updates of people out.

7. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Messed up today. Had a decent buck come in to 16 yards and I shot him low. Trailed him 500 yards and eventually bumped him.

He was pumping blood but it dried up.

Only got one lung. Kicking myself for this one

mylsuhat - Bowhunting.com Forums(5306581) on Vimeo

8. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    You still in Illinois? Keep at it.

I'm not hunting in morning. My son was throwing up and my wife is working in Chicago this weekend. Plan was to take son to grandma's house for the weekend. He hasn't thrown up for awhile so hopefully it still partially works. Lowest temp of the fall tonight. Killing me not to get out. Don't want to drop of a sick kid for my mom though. Good luck out there.

9. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah we are heading back to Louisiana now. I can honestly say I did my due diligence in looking for this deer. I feel disgusted that it happened this way.

I shot him at 7am. Knew then I hit low. Waited till 9am to start looking and when I did he was pumping blood everywhere. Around 9:30 I bump him. Find a few bed downs. The blood started having clots. Then the blood became drops. Then no more. I hope he survives it. I feel like he will.

10. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    BBD I will post pics later got him yesterday evening !

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

11. Born2Hunt

Dislikes Received:
    This year bowhunting has been the toughest year for me in a long time. From missing a doe opening day of bowhunting..missing a doe in early October and missing a giant 6pt...it wasn't all fault why I missed these deer, but I learned from these opportunities. This week I took the whole week off from work in hoping to put down my 1st big buck. This week I was hoping to see some good rut activity but with the Temps being so warm in Wisconsin I hardly saw any rut movement. I have been bowhunting for 16 years with many opportunities for putting down a wallhanger but could never make it happen until last night...I didn't get in stand today until 1 because we had parent teacher conferences..I saw deer movement around 3pm just like this whole week however nothing in range...hours past and I was just about ready to get down from my stand until I saw this buck trotting my way kept getting closers I grab my bow i drew back brrped at him twice to make him stop and took the shot at 20 yards I connected and he trotted off 45 to 50 yards until he tipped over...I'm so happy to make this happen after so long..Im very thankful for my wife for allowing me to put in a lot of hours on stand and allowing me to enjoy something that I'm truly passionate about..I also hope my grandpa's witness this tonight because I'm sure they both would have been proud if they were still around...what I learned this year is have fun and shoot whatever makes you happy... I also wanna say thanks for all the veterans for making this hunt possible on veterans day without you this wouldn't have been possible. I also wanna say thanks for my parents for always being there during my ups and downs during all the hunting years and thanks for all that you have shown me over the years! Shoot straight my friends and enjoy the moment !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man! What a nice buck!

13. Born2Hunt

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks

14. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Stalked a 160ish 12 pointer around noon bedded in field by my parents. Got to 40 yards. No idea I was there. Windy enough for sound cover and wind never switched. Could see his antlers on ridge at 80 yards out. Crawled into the 40 yards. Felt like I couldn't risk any closer.

Had my bow drawn and set at 40 on adjustable pin. Made a noise so he would stand. He just looked. Doe eventually got up and ran. He stood up and I was drawn on him, but he ran right away with no shot opportunity.

Heck of a good hunt. Probably wouldn't have been able to do if I was hunting all day at other farm. Luckily my son Henry is feeling better and I got out. Be out tonight. My dad saw the buck driving home from hunting. He got to study it really well. Had two stickers coming off back. From my view I didn't think he was 160, but my dad insists he was that big. I didn't really see the stickers or the whole rack either.

Also by my parents place where I stalked the buck....a nice buck was hit this morning by car. Neighbor who is cop sent me the pic.

[​IMG]

15. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Amazing how shooting a mature whitetail makes you reflect on all the good things in life. Makes you feel like the luckiest person in the world. Family makes it all happen.

I'm lucky to hunt on a century farm of 100 acres that has been in my family for 103 years. I think about family every time I'm here and thankful for what we have. My great grandfather bought the farm and his name was Henry. That is why we named our son Henry. I just hope he grows up to appreciate and enjoy what we have here.

I'm sure your grandfathers are both really proud. Looks like a really nice deer. Glad to hear the perseverance has paid off.

16. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Our family farm is closing in on the century mark. I think all the time, why didnt great great grandpa choose IOWA! lol but i do have pretty good hunting!

17. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome deer congrats!

18. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Whitecotton. U alive

19. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Saw the big one tonight. Crossing our corn field. He is still in the area. Rattled in a 9 point this morning. Not in shooting range or a shooter. Decent buck though. Saw another nice 8 point that was broken up on one side.

20. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    gun season starts here in the morning. So for next two weeks, no bow hunting for me.