Team 20 - Boneheads

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Sticknstringarchery, Aug 29, 2011.

1. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing today although this afternoon I watch a decent buck chase out two young bucks from a guy's very, small tree patch by his house. It is thick and nasty. I've got permission to hunt his land but going in there would be suicide. Just end up blowing all the deer out of there. Got to give that place some more thought and figure something out.

Tomorrow is high winds. 30 mph with gusts of 50 mph according to Accu-weather. Not going to be a pretty day !!

Tim

2. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Buck down tonight. Not my best but he'll do. Still have one more tag to fill. I start my new job tomorrow so I need to hit the sack, story & pics to come.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  3. rednas5

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys shot this guy last night 15 minutes or so before shooting light was done. A little ground shrinkage but oh well. He grossed 125 4/8. Definitely not my biggest by any stretch and to be honest if I could take the arrow back I might. Regardless he is a nice buck and I'm still happy with him. He came running in chasing 4 does last night and with the lower light and him being in my lap before I could really judge him I was already drawn back and letting it fly. I shot a little high and spined him and he rolled into a huge ditch. It took all the strength I had to get this guy out of there so maybe I'm a little lucky he wasn't bigger! I still have one buck tag left and plan on giving it a try. This is the latest in the year I've taken a buck so he has some significance. Good Luck guys!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mark

Conrats on your buck !! Great job !! You are having a great season and hopefully it continues.

Tim

5. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Things are finally starting to pick up here. I am seeing good deer movement finally. All other deer hunting seasons are over except for bow now. I think the best is yet to come. Will be hitting hard every chance I get now.

Tim

6. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got the next 2 weeks off from work. Gonna hit it hard !! Our season doesn't end until January 8th so I still have a lot of time to make something happen. Been looking forward to this all fall.

I will be doing a lot of scouting/hunting also. Troy ( shed33 ) is coming up for a late bow hunt right after Xmas. Going to be a very good time and deer are going to die. Hopefully a couple yotes too.

Good luck to anyone still hunting !!

Tim

7. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The next week I plan on getting in at least 8 sits. I could probably do 12 or 14 to be hinest but, don't want to burn out my 30 acres. I am hoping to give us at least 50 points before the season is out.

8. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I quit!

9. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are no quitters on this team !! :rant: Get out there and kill something !!

Merry Christmas by the way. I see you got a rifle for xmas on Facebook. Kind of looked way too long for you in the picture and over calibered !!! :p :lol:

My luck hasn't changed so far. I had a doe and two fawn come by 15 minutes before shooting light this morning. Tonight I had a doe and fawn heading in right after dark. :sad: Weather is just too nice !!! Good for the deer... bad for me. I am keeping on...keeping on.

Tim

10. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What. I got a benelli shotgun from the wife. No rifle.

11. vectrix27

vectrix27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dang I am frustrated!!!! Our deer are just starting to chase does, and I have been off work for the last week. I spent 45 hours in a stand in the last 5 days, and wasnt even presented with an oppurtunity. I saw a GIANT 6pt monday but never came close enough for a shot. I did some scouting last week and found a narrow strip of woods bordering a swamp that was tore up with big buck sign. Its pinched between the swamp and sage grass field. I hunted it a couple of days this week when the wind was good and saw him both times. And man he is a big one. The first day I hunted it, it had rained the night before and the wind was blowing hard. I got in early, and sat until 12:30. I climbed down and started easing out, and I jumped him up 60yds from stand. Evidentally, he snuck in on me and bedded behind me in some thick brush. I was pissed. The next time I hunted it, he came wading across the swamp right at daylight and entered my little wood strip, but I never saw him again all day. Dont know where he went. Anyway, Im close, just hadnt got it done yet.

12. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Skunked for the second time in my 29 years of hunting.

13. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gimpy walked by me at 60 yards Tuesday morning. Looks to be an old injury healed over as I couldn't see any fresh injury on him. He looked to be in very good shape. He was a little over a mile from where I had seen him before so he is getting around. He is feeding.

The deer were moving better this past week. I had a good buck come in behind me a few days ago on a PM hunt. He was heading in on a trail that would have lead him by me at 15 yards but he stopped and turned around to head back out in the field. I couldn't get turn around fast enough to get a shot at 17 yards !!! It didn't help my arrow got snagged on some cattails when trying to turn. I wish this forsaken ground had trees. He would have been dead !!! :mad:

Troy hogged all the does/fawns in his spots so nothing for me in that department either. :lol: In the first couple days he had 12 does/fawns go by him in bow range. Course he was after a buck so it didn't do him any good either. He would have had more but I left my spot a little early one morning and spooked another herd of 13 does/fawns right as they were getting to him. Behind them a 125 class buck was following. He said he wasn't going to shoot it in hopes of something bigger so he wasn't bummed about my botch up. Or at least he said he wasn't to make me feel better. He is a good egg !! He was going to shoot a buck or a doe the last day but the wind got nasty and nothing moved in the area he was hunting.

The older bucks aren't moving very good yet. Hoping to get a hunt in tomorrow night after this darn wind settles down. I will have next weekend to get it done then it is over.

Tim

14. vectrix27

vectrix27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I killed a 9point. Not with a bow though. Sorry fellas!!! Bow hunted hard all week and couldnt get one in range, and then carry my gun and this buck comes out gruntin behind a doe at 25 yards. Of course. Thats the way it goes. Anyway, here is a pic. 000_0010.JPG 000_0012.JPG

15. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice man, congrats!

16. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tim, sounds like you and I have had pretty similar seasons.

I just hope to get another doe down, then I'll be happy.

17. rednas5

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck to all of you still out there trying to get it done. I recently got promoted to a supervisor's job at the largest battery distribution center. 13 hr days, 6 days a week. Needless to say I have very little free time. I got 4 deer down this year, 2 bucks, 1 doe, and a BB. I would say it was a pretty good year. I didn't, however, fulfill my goal of filling all three of my buck tags. Regardless, I had a very enjoyable time getting to know each of you. Good luck this year fellow bowhunters.

18. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the 9 points !! Great buck !!

Tim

19. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am gonna kill something before it is over ( this weekend ). I've been close. It has been a different year though !! Good luck on another doe. Hopefully you get a surpise and a buck shows up also. How long do you have left ??

Tim

20. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mark... you have had a great season !! The job seemed to get in the way for many of us on the team this year. At least you got it done. That says a lot about you. Congrats again !!

Tim