Team 2-These Unprecedented Tines

Discussion in '2020 Deer Contest' started by wl704, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds about right! Lol

2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been sitting this weekend out, rare east wind that just doesn't work for me being on the property. However, that is supposed to change around 3pm so I am going out for an evening sit. It practically took logging chains to keep me off the place yesterday with a high pressure front, clear skies and 30.25 on the barometer but if age and my time on this place has taught me anything it's that east wind just educates them. Most all bedding or staging areas are east of every stand I have bc my predominant wind is SW or NW. And for what its worth, blackpowder opener was yesterday and I haven't heard of much success on mature bucks, just a bunch of dinks.

alenhard15 and wl704 like this.
  3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd take an east wind, or a NE... Have a great spot especially for muzzleloader. It's across a wide stream from where lots of folk hunt... Deer get pushed the stream...MZ opens next week here.

I should've sat the pond yesterday with the west wind

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Okiebob likes this.
  4. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday I was out for the morning and almost had a shot at the buck I went in after, I’m now calling him Mr. Brows, he came in chasing a doe at 20 yards but wouldn’t stop for a shot, got a picture of him last night so he made it through chasing a doe on public on a Saturday which was a relief, told the boss I’m going to be sick on Wednesday, pressure is going to drop into Thursday with rain all day, I think they will be up and moving! Hopefully he comes by slower this time!! IMG_3470.JPG

Okiebob and Lady Forge like this.
  5. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    And this morning I woke up to what I believe is his dad or older brother checking the doe bedding... this is getting exciting IMG_3476.JPG

Lady Forge, wl704 and Okiebob like this.
  6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We are currently in the middle of the earliest ice storm I've ever experienced here in Oklahoma. Leaves are still on the trees so thats really helping them.. Anyway, this weather all breaks Thursday afternoon and I am planning on sitting all day Saturday.

And my electric just went out..

Lady Forge and alenhard15 like this.
  7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted a new property for the first time this past Sunday 10/25. It rained most of the morning and temps dropped and wind was from the N/NE. I saw this Brute 80 yards away walking the field edge. (I was hunting the stand below in the pic when I saw him )He made a scrape and went into the corner of the woods. Wind was blowing towards me so he didn't wind me. I went back in the next day and hung a set in that corner. Wind was NW to start, which was blowing towards me. It shifted from NW to SE later in the day. Never saw him. This weekend Cold weather coming in and Monday I will have similar temps and wind. Going back and may sit All Day!
    RR.jpg

Lady Forge, alenhard15 and Okiebob like this.
  8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well the wind was whipping pretty good here today, but it is hot and swampy out. Next couple days tenía will drop and good (for me) winds are in the forecast... So long as the deer cooperate.

Lady Forge likes this.
  9. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll be out Saturday, high is looking like 49 and the morning will be 30, going to sit most of the day, have to get home earlier for a Halloween party... on my birthday... when I want to be hunting.... lol

Lady Forge likes this.
  10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good Hunting to everyone out this Weekend!

alenhard15 and Okiebob like this.
  11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We're skipping Halloween, game time decision for how long I sit.

12. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sitting all day, might change stands around 11am and sit deeper in the property for the midday. I am a believer in the full moon, kill a buck at noon, especially when it falls on the end of October beginning of of November.

I've been without electric at the house here in OKC for what feels like weeks but has only been 4 days. I can see in the dark now and my blood pressure has dropped from the lack of mainstream media, so I have that going for me. Thankfully the hot water tank is natural gas so I take hot showers, so its more like glamping. Or maybe it is just good conditioning for a long sit tomorrow. Good luck y'all!

SharpEyeSam, alenhard15 and wl704 like this.
  13. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well y'all, I didn't get out in the morning and its probably a good thing. It looks like a bomb went off out at the farm. Trees down everywhere. I couldn't even get back to my stand in the woods if I wanted. 2020 y'all, 2020..

Lady Forge likes this.
  14. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made it out yesterday morning on public land, tried a spot I marked a couple of years ago but had never hunted it before and I really like the spot ... had one hunter coming towards me in the dark while I was setting up my climber but a flash of my flashlight alerted him that I was there and he was kind enough to not move in any closer on me. Was a great morning seen 16 deer and 12 of those were all in shooting range. Had a 130 inch buck chase a doe with fawns at 20 yards from me ( Im waiting on a bigger buck) and was tempted for 40 minutes at 11am to shoot a giant doe that wouldnt leave she eventually wandered off to bed .. I think it was the same doe the buck was chasing ... she was at 10 to 20 yards for 40 minutes but I only had one tag on me & I was saving it for a buck. I actually ran into the other hunter on my hike out and we chatted for a bit, he apoligized for moving in on me in the dark and said he would avoid my spot in the future ... I told him its not my spot ... its public land and anyone can hunt any spot they want. All in all it was a nice hunt :bhod:

Okiebob likes this.
  15. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like an awesome hunt!! Good luck out there!!

16. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I might try a hunt this afternoon, Ive got the wind for a favorite spot but I know hunters have been pounding the area around it ( Public land ) I dont know I might change my mind and try a different spot on the public land:confused::bow:

17. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    I got out yesterday to scout ( thanks PA for not letting us hunt on sundays...) found some really awesome sign and even better didn’t look like any hunter sign was in the area!! Hung a set and will be hunting it tomorrow morning. Also have off Wednesday and I think I’m gonna go down to MD for the day been getting some really nice bucks on camera in daylight there as well! Good luck out!! This is the time we live for!!

18. dustywilmuth

dustywilmuth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys little update on the droptine score, still waiting for my taxidermist or get back from his hunting trip to have a guy score him for me. In the mean time i shot this guy november 1st in Jo Davies county illinois. Check out the video if it will let me post! Do i need to score this one too or no?? Currently hunting WI public to try to find another!

Attached Files:

19. dustywilmuth

dustywilmuth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It doesnt even let me post the video... if you guys would like to see it add me on facebook!

20. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What does work is posting to YouTube and pasting the link, but I'll hit you up on FB.

Only the first buck is scored, but the second deer may count as a 50pt deer like a doe... You could drop little chief a pm to double check...

Oh, and congrats!

Lady Forge likes this.