Team 2 - Harvest Hounds

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by buckeyehntr5, Aug 14, 2017.

1. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ah yes, thx for the reminder. Will do

Sent from my XT1080 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good cold front coming in mid week. should be very good weekend for sitting.

3. 802bowlife

802bowlife Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    it was a warm and wet first three days of the archery opener over here in the northeast. saw some does move through but nothing that caught my attention this early in the season. suppose to drop down in temps Thursday and into the weekend so banking on getting back out then to try and fill the freezer and get some more points rolling. this work week cant go quick enough

4. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Dan!!

pastorbigdan likes this.
  5. pastorbigdan

Dislikes Received:
    Thx, it's been a good year so far!

6. flopdrop

flopdrop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a nice one, Dan!:rock:

pastorbigdan likes this.
  7. jtreat

jtreat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well crap I just got off work and got to my stand with this cold front coming through and I am late . These two were here about 2 hours ago. [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1254 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

ETABNT likes this.
  8. Page

Page Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice to see them in daylight. Stay on em!
    I've only been out once so far, may head out Thursday afternoon, trying to get past this moon a bit. Almost all of the corn around me is still standing. Hope it comes out in the next few weeks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

9. jtreat

jtreat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is the first picture of the one on the right that I have and he was posturing big time at the other buck. I hope he claimed this spot and comes back

10. pastorbigdan

Dislikes Received:
    The downside of cameras for sure. I struggle to not second guess some of the spots where the pics show up. Nice deer for sure.

11. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Dan!
    Get on em Treat. Would love to see that big one on the ground!
    I got our a few times over the weekend. The only thing I managed to get on the ground was this guy.

Actually shot another bigger hog but was unable to recover it. I typically switch to fixed blades for hogs. This one was shot with a slick trick standard and only went 20 yards. The other was with a killzone, and at 20 yards I don't think I got but about 4" of penetration. I watched it run way off, then it snorted a couple times and busted off across a slough. Never found my arrow, never a drop of blood, or a pig, sadly. Pretty much decided me to switch back to fixed blades all the way around
    [​IMG]

ETABNT, pastorbigdan and Page like this.
  12. pastorbigdan

Dislikes Received:
    Been so busy I haven't had time to share the hunt w/ you so I thought I'd give the details. So, as my handles states, I'm a pastor so Saturday nights are a challenge to hunt b/c I desperately want to be out there but shooting something is worst case scenario due to needing a good night's sleep and being up early. There is always a tension b/c I just want to hunt. Anyway, this means I hunt very close to home or not at all. Columbus day weekend had Been good to me, so I chose to sit right behind my house, quick in, quick out. It was 82 when I left which is very warm for NW PA this time of year. Not much hope for action but I chose to sit in my co-workers stand b/c he is on vacation (he didn't care). Long quiet sit over his grassy food plot , very windy but warm. Sun goes down and still nothing. Begins to get dark and Im waiting for dark so I can get down. All the sudden, I look out and see white in the plot. 50 yrds away, too far and too late I think. I'll just watch him until dark and sneak out. He must have read the script b/c he only fed for 1 minute b4 coming towards me. Wierd I thought, maybe just maybe. Problem was he would run into my downwind side at the moment I needed to shoot. He comes to 20 straight on and makes sense scrape. No shot. He proceeded to walk towards me to 20 yrds, still steep quartering to me. He stands there and senses something isn't right, but he isn't sure what. He finally turns away from me as he is about to go across the field. It's now or never I think. Darkness has set in but I put one right behind his front leg. Hear it hit and he takes off towards my tree. He stumbles, breaking the arrow off, bounding away. Im super pumped (biggest archery buck) and then realize I have a tracking job and it's Saturday night. Thankfully he ran towards the church and died 50 yards from the parking lot. Had him in the garage w/ the hr. Thankful and blessed w/ a great season so far. Hope this encourages u to get out there and get after them.

13. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    Dan did you get your buck scored up? that's going to be some good eats for sure.

14. pastorbigdan

Dislikes Received:
    He scored 107". 8 points, 17" wide. Went 200# field dressed as per my cheap gambrel w/ built in scale. Good buck for our area, although I think PA has gotten much better since antler restrictions were instituted. He was 3.5 yrs old I'm told. I actually had only one camera pic of him that I'm sure of.

802bowlife likes this.
  15. Page

Page Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wish I could get the clock to move a bit faster. Heading out this afternoon. Calm, overcast and in the low 60s

buckeyehntr5 likes this.
  16. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    tomorrow is projected 32 degrees with a steady SE wind - perfect conditions for a few of my mornings sets.

jtreat, buckeyehntr5 and pastorbigdan like this.
  17. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to all going out this evening. Really wanted to get out this evening but couldn't get out of work early enough. Nice cold front came through last night with light drizzle all day. Would have been a good evening in the stand.

18. jtreat

jtreat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well it has turned off hot here in Oklahoma going to give it a rest until this weekend. Going to have a front move through Saturday night and I always have good luck setting about 3-4 hours before they come in so we will see.

19. Page

Page Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just got settled in on an oak ridge. This stand has been good to me in the past. Does beware!

jtreat likes this.
  20. pastorbigdan

Dislikes Received:
    I'm also back at it in NY. Hoping the cooler weather will increase movement. First sit in this area of our lease.