Team 2 - Final Roosting Place

Discussion in '2013 Turkey Hunting Contest' started by ZXTMike, Mar 15, 2013.

1. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Paul!!! I wouldn't be able to pass on a jake either with a bow! Heck of an accomplishment, congrats and way to get us on the board!

2. ZXTMike

ZXTMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tag sandwhich #2.....no bird. Tag #3, and final for this season, will be for the 15th-21st.

3. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job Paul and congrats. Points on the board! Mine season is coming Wed. temps down this weekend in the 50s but Monday 81. hopefully not too hot.

4. ZXTMike

ZXTMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone out there? Working on eating my last tag this week. I needed a young tom to take 3 more steps out from behind a tree at 10 feet to let my arrow fly last night. But as they always do, he turned directly away in line with the tree, and disappeared. Maybe this weekend.

5. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be out this weekend. Keep at it Mike, good luck!!

6. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    No bird but one heck of day in the woods! this was my second day out and what a morning. they started gobbling bout 5 am a long way off. i set up 3 hens and a jake. Since this is my first time out turkey huntin, I was shootin from the hip. So I kept yelpn here and there. finally about 7:30 I start to get board, set my bow down and start to text someone. No more than 10-20 seconds I look up & there's a jake if full strut right in front of my blind 15 yrd just about on top of my decoys. He must've see me reach for the bow, cuz he ran off to about 20-25 yds and started walkn away. so I yelped and kept interested at 25-30 yds struttin, circlin. I took a shot at 25 yds and went just infront of him. But he stayed for 40 min but at 35-40 yds to the side. Very cool to see him going nuts struttin & puffed up circling infront of the decoys. At 9:30 I was buys trying to coax a large tom in for 50 min. he'd gobble to yelps & gobbles. Kept this up for almost an hour. Wish I had a video camera, very cool time in the woods. My next and last day will be Monday. So I'll try to stay out all day. Good luck to everyone else still going.

7. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a real good hunt!! I went out Saturday am and had another tom hot off the roost but he just never would come in to the setup. I keep getting birds talking but they wont commit, I believe they are henned up. I plan on hunting all next weekend.

8. ZXTMike

ZXTMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Done for the season. Birds 3……Mike zero. Maybe next year.

9. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    well boys, I got my first bird but not with a bow, shotgun instead. in came down to time and his presentation. I was shooting at 7:30 in the evening and, with it getting dark, he wasn't coming in to where I could shoot him with a bow so I switched to the gun. turkey pic.jpg stats: 23#, 10" beard, 1 1/8" spurs

10. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    well I have to say that I'm hooked now after this spring hunt. all I can say is WOW! that was unbelievable. I couldn't get over how those thunder chickens lose their minds over a yelp followed by a gobble call. The bird i shot was I'd say about 150 yds up on a field above me(i'm in a creek bottom) how he came in and I got to hear drummin/spittin/stompin at 20 yds away. very cool. never experienced that before in my life. At first when I heard him walkin I was thinkin like deer hunting and drew back. After several minutes I let & looked out of the right of my blind thru a small opening in the zipper. And there he was struttin on a stump 30 yds from the decoys and 25 yds to the right of the blind. finally after about 20 long min and some more yelps I got him to where I could use the shotgun, so when he stuck his head thru two trees, that was all she wrote. Bummer I didn't get to use the bow, but with dark coming on and my first bird infront of me I had to use the gun. I did'nt want to arrow it and have it run off to feed the coyotes. But overall, I kinda got an idea what it's all about and will take off all of the days I need. What a fantastic day in the woods. Wouldn've been some nice points on the board if only he got there earlier.

11. ZXTMike

ZXTMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice bird. What a great story.