Team 2 - Dead Deer Society

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by airenlow, Aug 18, 2014.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pfftt...like thats any kind of excuse... :poke:
    Throw some pics up on here and we might...just might forgive you for being late. :lol:

2. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, this shot was at 40 yds (my arrow is the Easton bowfire (white arrow)). A busy of mine and I went to a 3d shoot today; huge moral booster!! Well be doing another one next weekend so I'll be ready!!! [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A buddy*, not busy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It was a good time bear hunting. There were six of us and we all had shot opportunities. Three of us got bears over 300lbs. Mine weighed in at 307. Pretty awesome experience being in a ground blind 25 yards from a bait site and having bears walking all around you.

This is my third year with the contest and my 5th year bowhunting. I will be hunting public land in South Central MN. Looking forward to shooting with you all this year. My season starts September 13th.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome bear! We got a full team now! Woot :-D

6. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I was just kidding but thanks for posting the pics, that's awesome!

I'd like to thank everyone for checking in also, we got things kicked off about right this year. Team 2 is #1!

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good shooting!

8. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice looking bear! I love the "live" shot.

Ya'll are shooting way better than me. I think that is another thing I'm going to move to the new house tonight - my bag and bows. Going to replace some cameras this evening then hopefully get some shooting in!

9. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    I went to check a Camera Saturday.....found out my camera has been in "setup" mode the whole time....so i didn't get any pictures.....&$@#! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

10. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I have had bad luck with my cameras all summer!

I have two that have pictures on the internal memory...but I can't get them OFF the internal memory. My cameras wont register they are connected by USB! So frustrating!

11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer about the camera issues for you all! I had an issue as well but of a different type. I don't usually put cameras out on public but I found a spot I wanted to get a better look at. Just as I was hanging it, two younger guys (late teens) came hiking through. They seemed like backpackers out hiking even though I was well off any defined trails. So since they saw I was going to hang a camera I decided not to hang it just to be safe lol.

12. TroyS

TroyS BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
  13. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    I checked a food plot i planted on the 16th.....oats are 3 inches tall and turnips have sprouted
    [​IMG]

I also found a fresh scrape along the edge...boy did that get me excited!
    [​IMG]
    Then i checked some cameras....my #1 buck is back!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I saw that pic in your other thread...jeeze what a beast. Get that one and we'll win by default. :lol:

15. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is an awesome buck. Good luck!

16. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome buck!

Unfortunately our sign of deer has died off (Had a couple does and a small 4 point on camera)! I am hoping it's just a fluke but I took a walk last night and it's not looking promising. I saw a couple tracks near our newest hung stand. But my "honey hole" is empty. It is the main pass through spot. But they are not going that way. I'm not sure why, either. I'm afraid the corn field/bean fields down the road are holding them. I did place apples out - maybe that'll show something.

Going out to spot #2 this weekend. It's about 30 minutes away, but can be a good spot. Still have my stand from last year hung, may have to resort to that!

17. P&YChaser

P&YChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, that's a great buck! Good luck on him, hope to see some more close up pics later in the year.

PinkPony, out property has that same issue...during June, July and early August we have many good sized bucks on camera. Then late August/early September comes, and they dissapear. We have corn/bean fields near us too, and I'm guessing that's where they are, because once that's cut down they all come back. Hopefully that happens for you too.

18. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    P&Y, I'm hoping that's true for me. I had near 12 different bucks in the beginning of summer, just like you're describing. We went spotting the other night and spotted some monster bucks for this area. They are a few miles down the road. I wouldn't mind if they ventured over! This will be my after work spot, so I'll just have to put some time in and hope for the best.

19. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Don't get to concerned, I have the same thing happening here at different locations to varying degrees.

I think what's going on (happens every year) is that as days are getting shorter, the deer are feeling the triggers to begin prepping for the coming stress points. Stress points are pre-rut, rut and then winter...their coats will begin to change out soon and the bucks are beginning to feel stages of velvet loosening also. I imagine they are going to be focusing intensely on food sources in order to bulk up, storing energy to coast on through pre and rut. Basically the only place I'm getting good pics right now is on my corn and beans and of course the feeders. But...even the feeders aren't all getting hit hard. One of the feeders is on a property with acres of milo on one side and acres of beans on the other three sides. The milo is also just past turning stage changing from the the green stage to red and that's when it's the sweetest so I know that's where those deer are...even a feeder can't compete with that.

As the seasonal changes get more prevalent and crops begin coming off the fields, the deer patters will change drastically and cover with access to mast will get more important. Where the does are..the bucks will be also.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  20. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still finding sheds here and there at work...

[​IMG]