Team #2 - "Dan's One-Uppers" Official Tread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by rbhunting1, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry boys....haven't had access to a computer since Sept 27th. Was in New Mexico and the day after I got back I ran to IL with Johnny to drop off the 5th wheel, hang a couple stands and check trail cams. I'll post pics of the bucks we got on cam in a bit....gotta go through the cards again and save some of the pics.

Here's the 6x7 elk I killed. It was a muzzleloader hunt and unfortunately I only hit him one lung quartering away at 175 yards. 2+ miles and 52 hours later I found him. Unfortunate to lose all the meat, but at least I had closure. I was alone when I found him too, so there are no real good pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dan, sorry it ended like that. Congrats on a fine animal just the same. Good luck here on out.

3. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went out yesterday morning and bumped a couple deer as I was walking into my stand. They weren't real spooked. They just walked out never blew or stomped. I sure was disappointed when I checked my camera. Check out the date and time. Sooner or later he's going to slip up and make a mistake and show up in the light of day.

[​IMG]

4. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pumped for this weekend! Off school Friday so we're heading to a farm Thursday evening. I'll be in the stand all day Friday, probably gonna film my brother shoot some quackers Saturday morning, in a stand Saturday evening, and then Sunday morning!

5. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    I'm ready too! I'll be on vacation next week and hopefully we'll get some colder weather. The first week was alright, but it's been way too hot since then.

My son stuck a fat doe Monday evening. I was at work and couldn't help him with the tracking. Oh well, he's 20 y.o. and don't need too much of his dad's help anymore. He found her on his own. She didn't make it 50 yards.

6. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to your son, rb!

7. Rory/MO

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to your son rb!! Tomorrow morning can't come fast enough! I'm ready to get back up in a stand!

8. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just got news today, there is a very good chance I can hunt some private land halloween weekend. I have never seen or hunted it before, but caretaker tells me he has seen some really nice bucks in the fields this year. I really don't know what to expect, or if it will happen for sure, but right now I'm pretty excited about it! Looking at the aerial/topo maps and knowing the county its in, this would most likely be the best piece of land I have ever hunted.

9. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great news Vito!

Hopefully you'll get on a good buck you can be proud of.

On another note.. sorry I've been so MIA lately gents... I really haven't hunted much this year.. works busy.. and the daughter gets the bulk of my attention. I'll be in Colorado this weekend chasing rainbows instead of whitetails... I know.. I suck.

We need some points though... I think we're the only team without anything at this point.

Good luck gents.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  10. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, Mike. I should find out more in the next few days. Really hope this works out.

Trout fishing in CO ain't so bad. Its a full moon this weekend anyway. Picked a good weekend to miss hunting.

Love the new avatar too.

11. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, it looks like the hunt is going to happen for me this weekend. Driving down there Thursday evening. The first chance I will have set foot on this property is for the Friday morning hunt. Plan to hunt Friday morning and play it from there. If its slow, I'll scout a little during the day. If movement is good, I will probably sit all day. Planning to sit all day Saturday and part of the day Sunday. I really have no idea what to expect. My season has been a rough one so far, so I'm looking forward to this opporunity.

12. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I have been absent lately fellas. I have just been a little busy.

I will be hitting the woods this weekend though. The temps have finally cooled off here and I have some fresh wheat growing in the fields in my spots so I expect movement to be drastically increased compared to earlier in the season.

Good luck to everyone going out this weekend, and lets get some points on the board!

13. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Good news, I got one down. I saw him cashing a doe. He was about 30 yds slightly quartering away. I made a terrible shot and hit him a little too high and back. I thought he crashed soon after the shot, but I waited an hour and a half. He didn't go 50 yrds. My arrow sliced through the artery that runs down his back. He wasn't the one I was after but he came off public land. I'm happy with him. My granddaughter sure was excited her papa got a deer. I'll get entered as soon as I put a tape to him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  14. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A HUGE congrats RB... Really... very nice buck!!

Finally we have a score to post!

On that note... I'm officially out for about a week... tore some string on my bow and will have to wait a few days before its re-strung.. and then get dialed in uickly again.

Oh well.. good luck gents!

15. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck RB!

Just got back from Canada yesterday in time to see the kids dressed up in their costumes.....great time. I didn't kill anything, but should have. Close encounters on 2 bucks that were 3.5 or better. Self filming kinda screwed me as I was wanted to get a good shot on camera.

Spending a few days with Jill and the kids and then heading to IL on Thursday early enough to get in the stand for the evening hunt. Staying there until Johnny and I tag out.....hopefully. The deer gods hate me the last couple years.

16. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the great buck RB!

This weekend was a wonderful failure for me. Deer sightings were way down and this is turning out to be one of the worst seasons in terms of deer numbers I have ever had. Oh well, I will be back at it soon!

Good luck to everyone getting out!

17. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well done, RB! Nice deer.

18. Rory/MO

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck RB, congrats!
    I'll be out all weekend sitting all day both days (hopefully I won't have to :D). I've got my eye on a smaller buck that I would be more than happy to shoot. I think I'd be more proud of shooting him on this farm, than I would shooting a bigger buck on a different farm. I saw him twice this past weekend and came close, hopefully he closes the distance this weekend.

19. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    I though about hunting a little while Friday morning but chose much needed sleep instead. Look what walked past my stand!!! I will be out there this morning!

[​IMG]

20. Rory/MO

Dislikes Received:
    Well got us 50 points this afternoon.