Team 19 The Booner Doomers

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by beavertronic, Aug 14, 2017.

1. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks a lot like Georgia! The majority of the woods in Ga are planted pines for lumber. There is always a plot of woods getting clear cut nearby so the woods around us are always changing and thus changing up the deer's routine! Keeps it interesting, always having to change up our game plan

2. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not thrilled with the idea of being on ground. I think it'll be easily seen. However, my only other option is a climber and I've never used one before. Loosing my bow spots has really messed a lot up this season!

3. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just started using my climber this year because I can’t leave a stand overnight on city property. Was nervous at first but after a few times up and down a tree it got much easier. Now I don’t even think about it, just attach and shimmy up the tree. 30lbs awkwardly strapped to your back walking in and out is still tough, though

4. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer hunting from a tree, however, hunted from the ground hundreds of times. Comfortable, easy in, easy out. Plenty of advantages. Just harder to shoot a deer :)

5. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    The carrying in and out is one issue - the next is I'm afraid of heights already, I think it's going to take some getting used to, to use one. I plan on working on it after season to be prepared for next season. Don't really wanna just jump into it this year.

With that being said, I'll be heading out tomorrow. It's been so windy this week and two days of pouring down rain. Hopefully it clears up some. The temps did drop some, so hopefully the deer start moving in daylight.

Pick - I'm hoping I can be hidden enough to be able to shoot. I used to practice shooting down all the time, I haven't with the new bow - so hopefully. Flung a few arrows the other day and did okay - just tougher with a longer bow!

6. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Saw 4 does and a young 6 point that would be an 8 but he had no brow times. Had him broadside at 9 yards for about 5 minutes. I also saw an armadillo, that's a new one for where I live. Good luck for those out this weekend.

7. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Saw nothing this morning. Went home practice climbing the telephone pole. Now I'm out in a new spot along a soybean field in the woods, by a scrape, in a climber. We will see.

8. bradn4201

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck.

9. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I'm no longer hunting. I shall now just call it nature watching. Yet again, nothing. Didn't help being 75°.

10. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just snuck in to the creek bottoms. Was thinking about my property but I just threw out some winter peas and winter wheat where the farmer had picked his beans so I elected to sit here. Big temp drop so should be moving. A big doe in range could have a bad night.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

bradn4201 likes this.
  11. bradn4201

Dislikes Received:
    Put the thwack on something.

bowhunt4abuck likes this.
  12. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have been sitting for over an hour also. Just squirrels so far.

13. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    No live from the stand thread this year for you Brad?

14. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    Not a single deer, kinda surprised really but still haven't touched my favorite stands. Few more weeks and it's vacation time!

15. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I finally had some deer come around while on the stand! That was the good news. The bad news was that at 25 yards, darkness was closing in. To boot and for the first time ever, the fog was so thick that I could only see the back half the deer...at 25 yards! Could not believe my luck. I'm away all week for work. Will start all day hunts on Saturday. Excited!

16. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Going out tomorrow afternoon. This will be the second time hunting this spot. First time I ended up seeing four bucks so I'm optimistic that I'll see something :)

PinkPony likes this.
  17. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Glad most are seeing deer. We had a cold front move in...but Im at work. Supposed to warm back to 60-70 by end of week. So unlike PA!!

18. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sat Friday night in one of my new stands I hung this year. It was a great sit the way it started thought I might have a shot a good buck walking by. Had a fork horn come in about 1.5 hr before sun down then had two does trailed by a young ~115" 4x4 (makes me excited that the magical time of the year is close) then had 5 basket racks within bow range for about 30-45 minutes sparing and all the fun stuff. The during prime time the final 30 minutes of shooting I didn't see another deer.

19. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Tanner, I have no idea what i'd do if I seen that many deer in one night. Our hunting here is pathetic I am starting to realize.

Was a very chilly morning. Of course I had to work, but I imagine it got some deer on their feet. I am going out with my brother tomorrow evening where he hunts. I usually go out with him a couple times a season. He's still waiting to get his first deer with a bow - will be awesome if he gets it while I'm there....but wont lie, will be just as awesome if little sister kills a deer while hunting out of one of his stands :lol:

20. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Went out last night and only saw two deer a couple hundred yards away on the other side of the field edge I was hunting. I blame the coyotes because they were howling well before dark. However, I was fortunate enough to get to see and film a bobcat. It was pretty neat. I'll share the footage with you all later on in the season if you want to see it.

bowhunt4abuck likes this.