Team 19 Official Thread

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by Dan, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been snowing all day here. Nothing sticking though, wind is blowing like a banshee! Hoping it dies down for tomorrow's hunt!

2. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Buck down!! I couldn't pass this guy up this late on my trip. My first out of state Whitetail Deer. I will post a story when I get home to a computer. Thanks for the encouragement after losing that buck earlier in the week. Always keep your head up and keep hunting!

Attached Files:

3. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Good job buddy!

4. Woody9220

Woody9220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Way to stick with it and bag a nice buck

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

5. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great deer sir! Looking forward to the story, you had a fun out of state hunt the way it sounds!

6. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a quick drawing of the area I am hunting tomorrow night. Sorry for the close up, but don't want to reveal too much of the area.

Red- Old Stand Site
    Green- New Site, will be moving here tomorrow
    Orange Line- Powerline Strip
    White Lines- Known deer trails

[​IMG]

The deer movement starts from the NE and travels to the SW along the trails. The does from last night piled into the powerline clearing and fed for over an hour at the connecting trail just in front of the new stand site. Should be a great spot to kill a doe and catch any cruising bucks.

7. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Just got word from Dan.. He missed the big 4 tonight. Sounds like the buck will probably vacate the area for a bit. He will be hunting a new stand tomorrow chasing a different buck.

8. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Troy, were you referencing the Hill Country Bucks video? I'll have to get it.

9. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    WAY TO GO SPARROW! yahoo.. we are rolling guys.. man too bad about Dan hope he gets another crack at him!

BC yes, Hill Country does a great job of breaking down steep terrain and thermals and how bucks use it. U and I just hunt even bigger steeper terrain but the concepts are the same.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  10. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    well, gentleman, I have miserable news. idiot moment number 2 for the night. Had a doe come in and stop broadside 12 yards, missed the shot. not sure what happened. the arrow hit her at the base of the neck and at the very top of the shoulders, all meat hit .

I caught up to her several hundred yards later and watch her feed another group of does for nearly an hour . not sure when I will make it out again, thoroughly disgusted with myself at the moment. can't catch a break this season.

11. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Here is where the arrow hit. FML:bash:

12. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keep after it BC, the only way to work out of this is to work through it, keep your chin up, I have a feeling things are about to change for you, stay right on those does, you should have bucks trailing any day!

13. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First all day sit of the season for me, 22-27 degrees today, fresh snow.. man was it awesome out.. 9 deer came by in range, 4 bucks, nothing older than 3.5 year old 5x5.. he will be a dandy next year! I got pretty chilly but it was not to horrible, making a few clothing adjustments tonight before tomorrows hunt, Gonna put in a full day tomorrow too, good luck everyone!

14. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. I am back home after a week of bowhunting. Unfortunately I have still not filled my tag. I had some bucks in range but nothing I would consider a shooter (best was a 115-120 inch 8 pointer).

You may remember a picture of a non typical buck I posted earlier that I was hoping to get a crack at. Here is another picture of him below arriving in front of my stand just 10 minutes after I left that evening on Nov 2nd. He was then killed by a rifle hunter the following morning :(

[​IMG]

I also had encounters with these other bucks but was not able to get any shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have hopes of getting the job done this season. I plan on hunting each of the next two weekends.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  15. Woody9220

Dislikes Received:
    Well sat all weekend waiting for a chance at a buck and saw nothing. Then on my way into work today I see a 10pt that would have scored around 120 standing 25yds away. Just my luck nothing in brown county and a 10pt in cook county. I didnt know they had decent deer this close to chicago!

16. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Coot and Woody, keep after it! Unfortunately persistance is a large deciding factor this time of the year! We got this.

I will be leaving Thursday night for my mule deer hunt, should be a great time. Really hoping all goes as planned and I can bring home some points for us.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

17. Woody9220

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be leaving weds night for a 4 day hunt. Unfortunately it will only be 1 day of bow hunting 3 days of shotgun. I wish I could bow hunt atleast 2 days but illinois shuts down the archery season for the 3 day shotgun season. Hopefully if something big comes through its on thursday.

18. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck Sparrow!

I hated to get that text BC. Keep at it though and you'll connect!

I headed up to the cabin last Wednesday night and got in a few days of hunting. As Dave said, I blew my opportunity at Big 8 on Thursday evening. I know where his core area is pretty much and we have a small food plot there. Its in the middle of the big woods. I knew he would check it for does with the rut going on. When I got to the stand that morning I pulled the card out of the trail cam and checked it when I got in the stand on my camera. It didn't surprise me that he was in there in the middle of the day the day before. I figured he was close so I decided to sit all day. It was light was starting to fade when I saw him step out of the brush and walk into the plot. My heart about jumped out of my chest when I saw him, as I've been after him for 3 years. He walking into the food plot 30 yards and walked right at me. He took a couple bites and then turned to walk back out. I drew when he turned around, but he still picked me off when I got to full draw. Like a dumb *** I figured he was 28 yards and put my 30 yard pin on him. When I released I saw him duck and watched my arrow sail just over his back. He ended up being only 23 yards. I really blew it and nearly puked.

Here's his pic from the day before in the plot.

[​IMG]

After that I spent the next couple days chasing Hector on our other property 2 miles south of where Big 8 is and around our fields. I ended up bumping into him in the dark on Friday morning at 15 yards with a doe. That was about the last of my excitement as the bucks seemed to be locked down with does and yesterday ended up being a wash out with the all day rain.

The 9-days of hell start this weekend, also known as the WI gun season. Most of the bucks I'm after stand a very good chance of making it through the season. Hopefully after gun season we get some snow and cold temps to drive the deer to our standing bean fields. Late season hunting is some of my favorite and we will have a lot of deer around. I'll put down a doe then for sure and stand a very good chance at killing a good buck then too.

Good luck to everyone still out there!

19. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dang Dan! I feel your pain, that story brought back a few memories of shooting over a buck/bull. On a positive note my boys both got their deer this weekend, Tyson my 9 year old shot his first deer, little button buck, he was so jacked, and Jess my 11 year old got a big old doe. Both public land deer, I am proud of my boys they hunted their little butts off in a virtual blizzard all day.. They were pretty happy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  20. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome man. Congrats to them both. I took my oldest out Friday for an afternoon sit. He just turned 5 and has been wearing me out to go. So I picked him up after preschool and away we went. Didn't see anything but had an amazing time with him. I think he's hooked already.

Tillman's first hunt.jpg