Team 19 Official Thread

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by Dan, Aug 25, 2012.

1. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Backcountry, I don't know your locations terrain real well but during the early breeding stages of the rut I try to set-up tight on the downwind side of the thickest stuff I can find. Edges where it goes from thick to open are best. Bucks seem to run this edge scent checking the cover for does and if a doe is chased hard they seem to head to thick cover at first with buck in tow. This also allows for calling because you have a visual block. It works in the Midwest.

2. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks i'll have to see if I can apply that. This area is forested on a North slope and the South slope is comprised of wide open grasslands with thickly covered fingers reaching into a saddle that cross back to the north. All of the deer are on the south side in a basin. I would pull a GE picture.. but anyone from my immediate area who caught glimpse of it would know exactly where I am.

3. Woody9220

Woody9220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can you put a list of the books up? I'm in illinos and have been looking for some good informational reads.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about the buck Sparrow. Keep at it bud!

Congrats Woody!

I'm home Paul. Hunted Saturday morning through Monday morning. Crazy slow.

I'll be heading back to the cabin tonight to hunt tomorrow morning though Sunday night or Monday morning. I'm torn right now as to what I'm going to do. Our property is split into 3 sections. 400 acres around the cabin with all the food, 120 1/4 mile north of that that we rarely hunt because of other people and another 120 1 mile north of the 400. The north property is where the Big 8 lives (pictured below) and I really want to kill him. But, we have a lot more deer on the south property and better chances of killing a decent buck, but not of the caliber of Big 8. If I hunt strictly for Big 8 this weekend, my chances are much more slim, but the pay off could be huge. We haven't had any pics of him since mid August, but we've had some camera problems so it wasn't unexpected.

[​IMG]

5. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto on Slivers quote!

Sliver....any big boys on the radar there in KS?

6. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    In stand now

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

7. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dave, :)

Our North Western bucks area always a couple weeks behind midwestern bucks in regards to rutting behavior. Right now in the terrain your hunting (I'm Hunting) big mature deer are camped out for the most parts in higher elevation hideouts during the daytime. They will be decending at night into known doe family group areas and are beginning to check up on the does. They are retreating back to their hideouts for the most part before daylight though, especially if you have pressure in your areas. Once does start to near estrus the big boys will spend more time in those doe area in the daylight, longer stays in the mornings and earlier departures to get to them. Once a doe comes into estrus then you will start seeing big bucks bedding in the doe bedding areas with them, day and night. I, am currently crowding bedding areas on the fringe of thermal and prevailing wind currents depending on morning or evening and calling and rattling. I will switch over to hunting my doe family groups very soon. Prob within the next 7 or 8 days, depending on what I witness for real time evidence of bucks on the prowl. We are very close to the big switch ... I rattled in a 3.5 year old last night crowding his area. He rolled in down wind and hung up at 60 yards and killed a tree until dark. Wouldnt commit but postured by rubbing.

I'll be honest I think our Nextbuk Outdoors video does the best job of any I have seen for deciphering how to hunt HIll country.. steep terrain, prevailing winds, thermal tunnels, thermals, leeward slopes... and why big bucks hide out where they do and how they chose to move through that terrain because of the steep terrain and wind.

Books, I've yet to find one that is mountain specific.. I need to write one! :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  8. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Yes you do! Just had two does come in behind me at 80. One bedded down, other one is out of sight, I assume she bedded.

9. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck man!!!!!!!!

10. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dan....DAVE! sorry buddy, sneaking this in at work! :) the only other place a big buck will hole up in mountain ground.. is on private ground lower elevation IF he isnt getting much pressure.. The thing we have to remember about our mountian bucks out here is they are hunted by wolves, lions, bears etc, 24/7 ... so they really rotate around in a "Core" area and bed, they RARELY ever bed in the same bed, day to day to day.. its too easy for a predator to pin point them and pattern them. This also runs true with our does that get hvy predator pressure. Finally this is why our mountain deer rotate around day to day on different native foods quite often... If you get a big buck on a native food source for more than 2-3 times a week, thats exceptional. Those native feeds cycle throughout the fall too.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  11. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Tim, I mean Troy. :D

His name is Dave. LOL At first I thought you were talking to me.

12. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I meant DAVE... Sorry Dave..

13. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dan... thanks! :)

14. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dave, one last thing, we have a severe cold front coming! Should really pick up the bucks movement. Suppose to snow and be in the 20s here by Fri!

15. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Troy! I'll review it all tonight and take my notes!

Does ended up spooking. Not sure why. Wind was perfect and they couldn't see or hear me.

16. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    wow, heck of a cold front moving in today! I am itching to get out in the woods.. Fri-Mon for me. Good luck to everyone else getting after it.

17. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Same cold front here. Dropped 20+ degrees last night. Snow expected all day and through tomorrow. Leaving work early tomorrow to move my stand and will sit in it for the evening.

18. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! Good luck, snowing here now! I can't get in a tree until tomorrow tho...

19. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Time to get the cold weather gear out! ")

20. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    snowing like a mutha! :)