Team 19 Official Thread

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by Dan, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, that really sucks about the bow Sparrow! The buck too. Good luck when you get back down there. I also agree that Team 19 is about to start making a run here. Gotta find out what a couple of the lost team mates are up to. Maybe El Capitan can send them a message.

Paul, 172"! Very nice man! That extra junk sure adds up fast.

Tyler, keep at it, you'll kill something.

My time to hunt has been very limited again this year. Family obligations have me home more than I would like. I am getting up to the cabin tomorrow night and hunting Saturday-Monday morning. I have to be back by 230 to pick the kids up from school Monday. Then, back at it Thursday-Sunday of next week. Johnny is coming up to film me Saturday and Sunday, so hopefully I can just get it done then. Quite a few good bucks around the cabin and they should be moving.

Good luck boys and shoot straight!

2. Woody9220

Woody9220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is one hell of a buck paul. Hopefully I put atleast 50pts on the board this weekend

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

3. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got back in a tree last night for myself for the first time in a long time! Man did if feel good! hitting it hard all weekend. Kicks some *** boys! 19-RISE UP!

4. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sheesh Sparrowhawk. sorry about the luck as well. I literally had the exact same thing happen to me a few months ago. Never again will I draw without a release. I got lucky and there was no bow damage.

Dan, I appreciate the support. I am sure as hell trying man. I saw more deer today then I have all season. So for the last two weeks I've watched this doe follow this treeline about 150 yds out. So this morning I decide to Cut her off and sit about 20 yds up on the corner. 0720 and sure enough here she comes. She gets within 30yds and the little hussy turns and starts coming right at me. She gets within 15 yds and gets wind of something. She does a little stomp spin, I draw back and she gets exactly where I wanted her to be. Wham....let the arrow fly, she jumps and crashed through the thicket. I'm excited as hell and about 5 minutes later I hear her snorting. My heart drops because I knew I had missed her. I gave it about 45 minutes and decided to step out and take a quick peek. No blood, no arrow, but I do discover a freaking superhighway of trails I didn't know of. So I slip back in the spot and move a little more into the woods to watch the trail. with that many deer maybe something else walks by.

About an hour goes by and I pull out the rattle and start letting loose. 10 minutes after that a stampede of does come up the treeline behind me to my right about 25 yds away in the field. I let out a bleat as they run up to me and get a doe to stop right where I wanted. Draw back and let it fly. she hopped like I had hit her ran in a weird circle and went into the brush. I knew I saw a bleeder so I was finally relieved that I had got it done. I wait about 45 minutes and head into the field to retrieve my arrow and WTF.....no blood on it at all. I wanted it so bad I must have imagined the blood. lol.

So by now I am happy and pissed all at the same time. The hunt went exactly as planned so the planning part of my thought process was correct. Unfortunately I failed miserably on the execution portion. I would give anything to have had someone running a camera to see what I am doing wrong. After that I grabbed some lunch and decided to move a stand I have in a poor location over here. This is going to be a productive spot and I am going to get this done.

I get home and have about 30 minutes before work and it's just killing me. So I grab some arrows, head out back and let about 10 fly from 30yds. Every arrow was within about a 2 inch circle. I have no idea how I am missing. I am pretty sure I am short shotting them but I walked it off and I ranged it correctly. Maybe I am just so nervous that I am pulling....hell at this point I dunno. All I know is this is infinitely more fun and exciting that using my rifle and I am hooked. Rifle starts next weekend so I might have to take a pause to put a couple in the freezer then get the bow back out.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Eric

5. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Alright team...need advice. Shot a real nice buck last nighround 6:10pm. He came in right underneath me almost but I felt I had enough angle to make a good shot. Hit a little far back but I went completely through top to bottom. Fletchings had good blood,very dark. Shaft had blood all the way down. No guts/smell of guts and I don't think I hit high due to nice white most likely belly hair on my arrow. He bounded off 30 yards stopped to look what hit him...where he stopped there is good blood. About 20 yards after that I found a clump of thick hair pry 4 inches long with really thick blood.I only tracked about 100 yards and backed out cause the blood trail wasent the best. I waited 3 hours to track... I felt so sick last night, such an awful feelingg9ihg to look again right now... any advice would be appreciated. I'm hoping I caught liver.

6. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like liver to me. Hard to tell. Did he run after he first stopped?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

7. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with Backcountry, if you did hit liver he shouldn't rise out of his first bed if not pushed. Good luck.

8. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    He let out a snort and ran hard after he stopped and looked back. Going to look now, might call a dog if needed.

9. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    I thinly you'll find him. Go slow

10. Woody9220

Woody9220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got my first bow kill! Shot her around 530 last night found her this morning. 50pts for team 19

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

11. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Great job!!

12. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Woody, hope sparrowhark had the same luck!!

13. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    Looked all morning..no buck. I have never lost a buck before, truly a sick feeling. Had the help of a dog with no luck. 3 of us stomped some serious ground. I question where the arrow hit. The blood stopped around 100 yards. I'm down here in Illinois until Sunday and its really hard to keep my head up after what happened last night. I'm in the same stand right now, its tore up all around me. I really hope I get another oppurtunity. Even a nice clean kill on a doe to boost my confidence and put 50pts on the board

14. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    So sorry to hear that Sparrow. Keep your head up and keep after it!

I have a serious monkey on my back that will not leave. This has been probably the worst season I have had in a while. Really hoping that my mule deer hunt pans out so I can put some points up for the team. Absolute goal for next year is too learn the deer, and my area better. Hanging stands for certain situations is just something I do not know enough about. I usually kill a, small, buck every year but that is usually by chance. I need to learn why I am putting a stand in a tree vs. just putting a stand in a tree.

Anyone recommend any books/videos?

15. Tyler Durden

Dislikes Received:
    Out-freaking-standing man. Hopefully my luck will turn and I'll get one down soon too. Missing 3 deer this year is making me sick. Two in one day is just plain awful. I feel like I am pressing and just wanting it too bad or just getting too excited. Rifle season starts Saturday so the pressure is about to get cranked up. I have got to get some meat in the freezer so I'll probably tote the rifle till I get a couple does down. I'll probably take my bow as well. I really want to put some points on the board for us.

16. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Woody, congrats on the doe.
    Sparrow, bummer on the buck.
    Tyler, keep that bow arm up. You know you miss one more deer and under your user name where it says Weekend Warrior automatically gets changed to Premature E-rackulator.

17. Tyler Durden

Dislikes Received:
    I miss another and I'll deserve all the ridicule you guys want to pile on. lol

18. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Got desperate, bow has changed colors and is completely blacked out ("murdered out" for the cool kids). Maybe it will bring on a change of luck?

Going back out tomorrow, undecided on whether i'll sit on the doe stand or go try to rattle/pattern some bucks on the other end of the property.

19. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    This time of year the "doe stand" should be where the bucks are! Keep at it, it will happen. I have a few great books but your terrain is so different than the Midwest.

Anyone hear from Dan on how his weekend at the cabin went?

20. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Paul.

I talked to him on Sunday morning. Seemed to be having similar luck to what I am having.