>>Team 18 - Wolf Pack->

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by drenman, Aug 19, 2013.

1. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, hunted hard for a week. Rattled in probably at least 50 bucks but none worthy of harvesting. Best I could do was pass on a 130 class 8 pt. I just couldn't pull the trigger on him. I've shot too many. I still have until January 15th but unfortunately the orange army is going to be out in full force tomorrow and for the next 10 days. We all know how that effects the bruisers after that. I'll still give it a go though. Good Luck guys!

2. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man and thanks for your service.

I've been getting my butt kicked in Kansas. I've hunted daylight to dark for the last four days and have seen two does and 5 small bucks. Had two bucks at 12 yards, one was 60 inches and the other 70... not shooting those guys. One of the bucks I saw might have gone 125 but I never had a shot. I have this evening and tomorrow morning left to try. I've had some really nice mornings and evenings but not seeing much at all. Day time winds are brutal. I'll keep trying. A doe would excite me! :D Good luck fellas.

3. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya JGD, it was tough the last couple weeks. I put about 80-90 hours in the stand since the first of November and saw a total of 11 deer. That makes my total for the season 18 deer in all my sits combined, 12 small bucks, 1 110" buck and 5 does. A 110" buck used to be a small one until this year. Opening day 2 years ago I saw 23 deer in the morning and another 20+ in the afternoon just to give you an idea of the impact of EHD on the herd here in Nebraska. I have never gone a season without having a mature buck in range until this year, I did see a couple from a distance but I don't count those. Rifle is on here and it appears that we are having a mostly nocturnal rut so far, the rifle hunters are reporting a tough start to their season.

I still have the itch to get out and hunt but I'm not sure I'll make it out more than a couple times. It is down right dangerous to be out there during rifle season due to the number of road hunters we have. After rifle most everything goes nocturnal and we seldom see deer, this year would only be worse.

4. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In 5-6 days I will be back to hunting and hopefully be able to put some points on the score board for us. In the area I will be hunting there is a decent 8-point showing up on camera nearly daily as well as some smaller bucks and a lot of does. My "nice" buck will probably only be in the 110 range if I even get him, we have a lot of deer but not a lot of bruisers.

5. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm done in Kansas. Saw 7 deer in 5 days of hunting. I had planned to hunt tomorrow but it is raining like crazy and shows no signs of letting up. Crap! Gun season opens on Saturday and bow hunting is not allowed on public land for the first nine days of gun season... even in areas that don't have gun season it is closed during that time. Makes no sense to me. The rut will be about done by the time I can hunt again. May have to kill a doe in Wyoming next week during my turkey day visit.

6. Chris1982

Dislikes Received:
    Today I'm making my move back to Louisiana, hopefully I can get unpacked and settled in early enough to hit the woods starting tomorrow evening.

7. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I made the two hour drive for an afternoon hunt in the rain. Saw three does and a nice young buck a half mile from where I park at 11 am. I was encouraged since they were out mid-day. Got geared up with my buddy and we hiked in a mile and hung our stands...then came the rain. It didn't rain hard but it rained steady. Then the temperature dropped. In an hour our bows, packs and stands were iced up. Pulled lightly on my bow string and it sounded like the whole thing was going to break although I'm sure it was just the ice. No way I would be able to draw on a buck much less shoot and arrow covered in ice accurately. Sent a text to my buddy and we left the stand about 4:30pm. If I don't kill a buck this year it won't be for lack of trying. :D

8. Chris1982

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been able to hunt twice since I moved back to louisiana and I've already seen 8 does and a six point, no shot opportunities yet. Also have pictures of a nice 8 point from earlier today. Weather has been rough so far but I should get some points this week.

9. Chris1982

Dislikes Received:
    I missed an eight point this evening, first clean miss of my life. He was hot on the trail of a doe and I couldn't get him to stop so I rushed my shot and he ducked. I'm actually glad I missed opposed to a bad hit. I'm going to try the same stand in a few days cause I don't think he knew what happened when I shot at him, he'll be back eventually. I have several other promising places to check out while that stand" cools off".

10. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Chris. I'm in Wyoming for Thanksgiving and may get a chance for a doe hunt but don't know yet. We'll see.

11. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Left Wyoming at 5:30 am on Sunday and got back to Texas at 2:30 am Monday...slept till 7 am and got back in the truck and drove to Oklahoma for a hunt. Hiked in about a mile, climbed a tree, sat till dark, hiked out and drove back home. I'm trying fellas, just can't get it done. :D But I'm having fun!

12. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's all that matters my friend!

13. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ive passed several does an a few young bucks over the last few days. Nothing big enough yet. Will be headed back west next weekend. Hopefully I can put some bone on the ground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

14. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to you guys that are still hunting. I think my season is pretty much over, I've done 2 sits after rifle and saw nothing both times. Sorry I didn't contribute, this is my first season with a bow that I haven't shot anything. Hoping for a mild winter and a wet summer next year to help start the population rebuilding process.

15. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you! The MDC just announced that this year's season is down almost 25% from last year. Although I had quite a few sightings the mature deer were none existent. I firmly believe EHD did a number on the population and I hope it's better next year. I am throwing around the idea of heading out tomorrow morning though...it's a disease I guess.

16. Chris1982

Dislikes Received:
    I hate to say it, but I may carry a rifle for the remainder of rifle season. I want to contribute to our teams score but I really need some venison in the freezer. I will still hunt the late bow season, but I usually don't have much luck with that.

17. iahunter11

iahunter11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry guys...just a simple bad year for me, short on time, 50+ deer dead on my hunting grounds, neighbor killed my 185" buck to..killed a doe early in the year but must not of posted right....

God makes bigger bucks daily! Next year in works already

18. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I did not contribute anything. I had several opportunities at smaller bucks but elected to pass on them. It seemed like a strange year in that I saw very few does and that is a worrisome thing to me. In thinking back on the season I can't think of a single time that I had a good opportunity to take a shot at a slickhead. I hope things are closer to normal next year. I thank God that I am able to hunt and that He kept me safe throughout the season.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

19. xtreme16

xtreme16 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Blood has been drawn tonight!

20. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Let's hear more about that Chase. I hunted last week on Friday and Saturday and saw nothing. Since I hunt big woods and no agriculture, it is difficult to figure out feeding patterns. I think I'm done. Season closes on the 15th.