! Team 18 ! The Ant farm

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by boof, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sept 29th opener for me.

2. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My first time targeting and hunting a specific buck! Here are some pics I've gotten over the past few days. trailcam 2012 014.jpg trailcam 2012 034.jpg trailcam 2012 013.jpg Typically I just set up near heavily used trails and I see deer all the time. This season I want this deer specifically. I spent 3 hours hiking today following trails trying to find bedding areas. Im hunting big woods. So there arent any clear bedding areas that i've found yet. I'll go back out next weekend and pick up where I left off. I am hiking as scent proof as possible and I moved one camera up trail. Hopefully I will get some pics of him at a different hour and then I can decide to work up trail or down trail. Either way there is signs and rubs everywhere. Its almost too much sign! :tu: Any tips would be helpful. Thanks guys

3. bowhunter18

bowhunter18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    September 7 th was opener for me. Be out in a.m. Over an acorn ridge catching deer going to bed

4. Monsterman7

Monsterman7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Can't come soon enough Ben... The mornings are getting nippy here, high 30 this morning, leaves are starting to change, it's harvest time... I cansmell it in the air, love the fall!

5. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saw my first bucks from stand last night. Had 3 of them feeding on the neighbors beans 110 yards away. One was a good 10 pt. I cannot hunt that property. The property I can hunt is a 25 acre picked corn field lined by trees on 2 sides. Most of the dropped corn from the harvest has sprouted with all the rain lately. They are hitting the beans now. :cry: Not the best of situations but at least I'm hunting.

6. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    Out again over bean field moved farther down towards corner of field where deer were

7. flopdrop

flopdrop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Team 18 Archery Season Dates
    KyleLewis OCT 17-NOV 26
    jmbuckhunter MO-Sept 15-Jan 15 IL-Oct 1-Jan 20
    boof SEPT 22-JAN 1
    MechDoc-Oct. 1-Jan. 20
    flopdrop OCT. 1 - JAN.20

8. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    Saw my first buck tonight.. Just a dink but I'm getting closer

9. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    excellent, now find his daddy!

10. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man I am getting excited for opening morning. The weather has been in the 40s in the morning when Im going to class and that does not help me focus on my classes!

Only four days away now. I am hoping for a perfect south wind, but as the forecast says right now it is looking to be a north one. We will see, I always have backup stands. I have never had much luck the first couple of weekends, but I have also never had a shooter buck patterned like I do now.

11. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't been out since Sunday evening. Drove up to my farm last night to check cams. Not much for big buck activity, but I did have 2 1-1/2 year old sparring on cam at my waterhole. Food plots are getting a lot of use morning and evenings by does and fawns and a couple small bucks. Got a couple pics of a nice buck moving thru at night by one cam, but he was moving and not very good pics. What I can see looks promising tho.

Probably hunt Thursday after work if the wind is good for my closest stand. I need North or NW, maybe NE, just no South.

12. Rut Junkie

Rut Junkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is the biggest buck I have living on the Bone Yard at this time. I have photo's of him on 3 drifferent cam's. I think I know where to kill him on Oct 1 if the wind is right. PICT0166.jpg

13. Rut Junkie

Dislikes Received:
    Here is some video off of a trail cam.[video=youtube_share;SbL8AUZvlis]http://youtu.be/SbL8AUZvlis[/video]

Attached Files:

14. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What a buck! How many points are you thinking he has?

15. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    Been getting cold around here in the mornings... I will probably be out Saturday

16. flopdrop

flopdrop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cool here in the mornings also. When our season rolls around, we will probably have what they call Indian Summer with temps. back up into the 90's.

17. Rut Junkie

Dislikes Received:
    Boof, He has split G2's and G3's that match on each side, that makes him a 7x7. Once the crops come out and the pre rut starts the bigger bucks will come out to play. We have pic's of a 5x5 that will go in the 180's. We never see this deer or any trail pic's before the 28th of Oct. Not sure were he comes from but the last coupel years he hanges around the Bone Yard in the pre rut and rut. Sure like to get a shot at that 5x5.

18. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A 180 buck and this 7x7? What a dream! I think we know who the bread winner will be for Team 18.

19. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One last check on the cameras tonight before the season opens tomorrow. I was pretty bummed about the check, not a lot of activity. The 5x4 I have been wanting to chase has shown his rack three times and is officially out of velvet. Now that I have seen him hard horned, I am second guessing my pursuit of him. What I once thought was a high 130s buck is looking to be mid 120s. He hasnt been very consistent about his visits but I know he is still around.

The place I have pictures of him is in some thicker bedding area I try to leave alone until late October. I dont know if I will be trying to get in there early or not this year. Anyways, I plan on hunting all weekend. Whether it is goose or deer though, I dont know yet. Wish me luck boys!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What great looking buck. I have some hope to get out tomorrow evening for the first time. I've been traveling a ton so, getting out has been impossible. Long season regardless. Good luck guys!