! Team 18 ! The Ant farm

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by boof, Aug 25, 2012.

1. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was hunting the property that I just got permission for. After work that day, I threw up a ground blind on the edge of the field and did a quick attempt at brushing it in. The whole time I was second guessing myself as I was torn whether or not I should be closer to the bedding area or not. I have made that mistake too many times in my young hunting career, so I stayed with the original game plan. After I got all done, I was pretty impressed with this blind location, I just had that feeling I would let an arrow fly that night.

As I sat there from 5-6 PM on my smartphone, peeking my head up every ten minutes or so, I was sure deer would be appearing any second. At about 6:10, somewhere in the middle of reading my Vikings blog, I looked up to see a couple deer appearing from the bedding area. It was two does and a fawn.

They started feeding out into the corn field, at this point about 200 yards away. I was ready with my bow in hand and it was now a waiting game. Surprisingly, they moved much quicker than I anticipated and within a couple minutes they were at 80 yards. At this point they were straight out from my blind and it didnt look like they would get any closer. However, just like someone drew it up, they started feeding closer to the fenceline I was on.

At 40 yards the lead doe presented a broadside shot, I opted to pass as it was the first night on this ground. Then they started moving in closer and closer. Now at 26 and looking directly at my blind, she wasnt so sure anymore. After a couple of echoing stomps she was about ready to scram. She then blew at me, I was straight up busted. Then, she turned perfectly broadside to make a couple more stomps and one last blow.

I was aware there wasnt much time left, so I centered the pin on her and let the Wasp Bullet fly. I was sure it was a good hit and seeing her pile up about 70 yards from the point of impact confirmed it.

This kill was especially meaningful to me as it is my first bow kill from the ground and because I have never seen a doe this big before. The best part is that I was able to give the doe to a guy I work with. He has two kids and his wife is a stay at home mom, so the grocery bill hurts to look at I imagine. He was incredibly thrilled to take the deer and showered me with compliments. He was eager to learn how to skin and gut the deer, too, so it feels good to pass on that knowledge.

Sorry for the long post on just a doe, but just wait till the book I write if I get a buck!

2. Rut Junkie

Rut Junkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Boys, I shot a 7x7 last night, this is the buck I put trail cam pics up. More detail later.

3. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    RUT JUNKIE! You are awesome! Get some pictures up ASAP. Happy for you man!

4. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im assuming it is recovered?

5. Rut Junkie

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, he is at the butcher now. My down and dirty score is 162, I will get a better score tomorrow when I get home. I am in a stand now look to shoot another.

6. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pictures are taken, correct?

7. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way to get it done RT. :tu: 162, must be a beauty!!

8. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That must be a pig of a deer. This should move us into the Top 10 if my calculating is correct. Good work fellas! I wish we would hear what Ben/PA is seeing.

9. Rut Junkie

Dislikes Received:
    here a pic, field dressed at 234 lbs

DSCN0752.jpg

10. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This week was a wash. Sandy killed Monday. Tuesday I froze and only saw a spike and a 6. The 6 was chasing a bit. Work killed today. Tomorrow, I'm heading to State College for dinner and a Springsteen concert. (I was supposed to have that tag filled by now):)

Friday, Rob and I are heading to a cruising zone at my cabin. He'll have the camera in tow. Saturday I'm heading to the killing hill for buck or bust.

Get em boys.

11. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work Rut.

12. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, it's back to work for for a day then getting ready for my dads auction on Saturday.

I thought I had another 50 points for us Sunday evening. Had a big doe at 30 yards, let the shot go and she whirled and turned to go. Arrow hit her very low in the chest. Got down and checked and had good blood. Waited 45 minutes and took the trail. Lots of blood down the first hill then it got spotty. Trailed her to the neighbors line 400ish yards away and called it a night. She never laid down. Called the neighbor in the am and we took up the trail until she crossed a hay field that the frost was melting off of. Lost the blood trail there maybe 600-700 yards. Don't think I hit anything vital, she never did bed down. Think I hit too low and only got tissue below ribs.

After that I think I saw every 100" and under buck in the county. The little guys are out cruzin. The neighbor is going to call when it breaks loose or I'll head back around Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Helluva buck there RJ congrats.

Bakers Dozen is back from last year. I'm not the only one who can't kill him.
    Here is a link.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3313040684929

13. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What a buck RJ, truly a giant. Congrats again!

14. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  15. flopdrop

flopdrop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats RJ!!!!! Nice one!!!!!

16. Rut Junkie

Dislikes Received:
    This buck was shot on 10/30 at 6 PM. The bow was a Hoyt at 65 lbs with a Gold Tip arrow and G5 to do the damage. He came to a grunt call and was shot at 20 yards.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Score Right Left
    G1 5 6/8 4 6/8
    G2 9 2/8 7 0/8
    G3 9 4/8 8 0/8
    G4 5 3/8 5 3/8
    H1 4 5/8 4 6/8
    H2 3 6/8 3 6/8
    H3 3 4/8 3 3/8
    H4 3 2/8 3 3/8
    Abnormal Points
    A1 7 7/8 4 0/8
    A2 3 2/8 4 3/8
    A3 1 2/8
    A4 1 1/8
    Main Beam 21 1/8 22 7/8
    Inside Spread 14 5/8

Gross Score 160 6/8

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  17. bowhunter18

bowhunter18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good job rut!! Now only if I could see a good buck:throw:

18. bowhunter18

bowhunter18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    About to hit the horns together

19. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats rut

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

20. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats RJ!! He is going to look awesome on the wall. Congrats Boof on the heifer of a doe. I will be headed out tomorrow a.m. to deer camp for a week . I hope to kill one of my target bucks this trip. I think I may have a nice 10 point 150" patterned if the info my neighbor told me is correct and the buck is still on my trail cams. Good Luck everyone and be safe out there.