Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Team 18 - Official Thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by littleshooter, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The buck pictured below Is giving me tons of opportunities! Problem Is, he's not the one I want. Just thought I'd share some of the action I've had. I've saw him 3 sits In a row now. 3 times this evening at 10 yards. Another year and maybe I'll think about It If he lives through the season of the orange army that opens this coming Saturday for 9 days.

Attached Files:

2. leadoperator

leadoperator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope you find out too! Good luck Steve!

3. D34

D34 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. Got some great trail cam pics on another property but there is still a bunch of standing corn.

4. leadoperator

Dislikes Received:
    This could work in your favor.

5. D34

D34 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really hope so. I talked to the the land owner and he said that the farmer doesn't get in a hurry to take it out and it could be still standing after Thanksgiving.

6. leadoperator

Dislikes Received:

Thats even better! Sounds like a little slice of paradise, how big of a cornfield is it? Are all the other fields in the area picked? Good luck!

7. D34

D34 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is approx. 6 acres to our east and across the RR tracks to the north there is a bunch (Not sure total acreage). I wish the guy to the north would pick. Everything else around seems to be picked. The area is a 250 acre tree farm and is very difficult to pattern. Not even sure you could pattern until the snow flies. We have a ton of pics on trail cams of some really nice bucks but have yet to see a single deer at shooting light. I did smoke a raccoon and had an incredible chance at a coyote that I squandered. He was at 20 yards stalking something in the corn.

8. WV Hunter

WV Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got blanked again this evening. I had high hopes...was a beautiful evening, just nothing moving. Been cold here of late...25 the last two mornings. They gotta start soon I would think. Haven't seen much by way of rut here yet. Good luck to everyone...the next few weeks should be awesome!

9. leadoperator

Dislikes Received:
    If the bucks havent started cruising yet, they should any day now. If theres a standing cornfield that borders those trees i know i would be set up somewhere on the downwind of that cornfield. Maybe even use a scent drag and a decoy. Good luck!

10. leadoperator

Dislikes Received:
    Try not to think of it as getting blanked, take it as a learning experience and apply it to future hunts in that area in the future. The mature bucks are moving here so keep those hopes up! If you're hunting mornings and evenings, keep track of where the doe's are bedding and the bucks wont be far behind. No matter how bad you wanna shoot a buck, keep a positive attitude! Good luck!

11. WV Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya lead. I try to learn from every hunt. I have a couple of resident groups of does....I see the one group almost daily. 3 does, 4 fawns. Hoping they can drag one in eventually.

Went out this evening in the rain. Saw 2 small does about 15 mins before dark. I about got run over on the way in. Slipping in slowly, all of the sudden a big doe comes flying right at me. She passed about 5yds behind me, and ran about 20yds and circled back in front of me back towards where she came from sorta. Tail down, tongue out. I thought...sweet, he'll be right behind her. Stood still and ready for 10 mins, nothing. Bummer. No clue what she was running from....but it wasn't me. Maybe next time. Not sure when I'll get back out....might take my son M/L hunting on Sat morning. Did see a nice rub that wasn't there last week. Someone is around. Good luck guys!

12. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Mike and I'll be expecting pics!! I always enjoy your family hunting threads.

13. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Tonight turned Into a real downer. 15 minutes Into the hunt a 160 class buck (the buck I've been hunting) came with In 15 yards of me but I couldn't get a shot off. He was with In 15 yards for 5 minutes or so. He proceeded to go behind me so I spun around hoping to get a shot at him there but he locked the brakes up when he smelled my walk In trail. For what seemed like an eternity he smelled my tracks, lifted his head, smelled my tracks, lifted his head. You could tell he wasn't happy with the smell and when he went to spin and go I spun too hoping he'd trot on by me at 10 yards. Instead he veered farther right and busted out to 30 yards and walked away. I got the can out and gave him a couple calls. He wanted none of that and took off running. I'm pissed!!!!

I just put this stand up today. I went In around 10:30 this morning and bumped him and a doe. They had no Idea what I was which was a good thing. I spent the next 2 hours trying to figure out where to put a stand as the tree's In this part of the woods aren't good stand tree's or not In the right spot. When he came In tonight he walked where I was earlier today and It didn't bother him a bit. I wore my hunting boots (Danner Pronghorns). This evening when I went back In for the evening hunt I put doe pee on my same hunting boots I put the stand up with today. When he hit my walk In trail was It the doe pee or was It the fresh scent from my boots? I'm thinking It was the doe pee. No more of that **** for me as It may have costed me a buck tonight!!

14. WV Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go get em Steve! Sounds like you are in the right spot!

Is that the buck from last year?

I don't know what to tell you about the scent. I've had mixed results over the years with about everything I've tried it seems. Not sure whether it ends up helping or not. Lately I've used nothing at all, though my gut says a "scent" is better than my stink. Of course I'm not killing slammers either, so don't listen to me! LOL

Good luck man, looking forward to you posting that bad boy soon!

15. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, It's the same one Mike. Gun season opens this weekend and I hope like hell I didn't spook him out off of the property. I went back out this morning In this same stand and got blanked. This evening I'm going on the opposite side of the land and staying out of this spot for a while hoping he comes back there and sticks around his bedding area where It's safe. I've saw him In the spot I'm going to this evening before so anythings possible there too. I can't believe I'm going rounds with this same buck 2 years In a row. Something's gotta give.

16. WV Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man Steve....I hope you best him this year. Cool to have some history with the same deer. How much did he gain from last year?

I went out Sat morning for a few hours....saw a spike early at 20yds, then a group of does came in with a basket rack 6pt about 9:00. He was not a shooter, but it was good to see a racked buck FINALLY! He was about 13" wide, no brows. Nice looking 2.5, maybe he'll make it through. Saw some fresh scrapes also and a few new rubs....hopefully its starting to heat up. M/L season has been in for a week....so the guns are banging already. Rifle comes in next Sat. Good luck guys.

17. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  18. littleshooter

littleshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No apologies!!! I cannot get over that law and that there wasn't any flexibility in your situation. What you did was highly commendable. I'm not sure there are many that would have handled the situation correctly, as you did. You have intergrity and an incredible passion for what you do. We're lucky to have you on the team and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has learned something from you. So....thank you. Good luck with the rest of your season!

19. DEERSLAYER

DEERSLAYER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got my first (but hopefully not my last) buck of the year. He wasn't what I was looking for, but it happened so fast I literally only got a glimpse of the rack and I had to make a snap decision. While he's smaller than I wanted I'm happy with any deer I harvest! He fooled me a little. He only scored 125 4/8" Here he is:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  20. leadoperator

Dislikes Received:
    Tx i didnt see this thread, you have nothing to be sorry for. You made a mistake and you took it on the chin. You can be a teammate of mine anytime. Respect.