Team 18 - Got Booners

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by srtiek, Aug 29, 2011.

1. JCraig

JCraig Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Leaving for Illinois in about 22 days, can't wait. I never made the trip to try and get another deer down in my own state, the drive was just to long to make it work for one day of hunting. My Maine season is officially over! Good luck to all you guys that still have seasons running, we still go time to lay down a couple bruisers!

2. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Where you heading to in my state (IL)?

Well I have great news everyone. "Ghost" was spotted out of my "Hill Stand" by the property owner right at dark Saturday night during the 2nd shotgun season. Fortunately for me he couldn't get the shot off. He decided he didn’t like where my stand was at, so brought his climber out, but couldn’t get up high enough. He said that if he would have sat in my stand it would have been a dead buck. Carma’s a *****. That’ll teach him to commiton my stand placements.
    With this noted, I’ve decided that my season is not over now. I will hit the stand at least once more in pursuit of the infamous Ghost. I know where he spends his time and I’ll attempt to seal the deal on him in coming weeks. At first I had no idea what I’d do with the meat, but I have a taker now and I’m eager to provide his family with 200+ lbs of venison. I’m on call this weekend and leaving for FL next weekend then Christmas the following this new years after that. I’ll hopefully have an opportunity for a morning hunt during one of the upcoming work days. I’ve used up all of the PTO I can for hunting, so I’ll have to rely on trading OT instead.

3. JCraig

Dislikes Received:
    Shane, I'm headed to Nebo, IL.

4. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    still going at it just been a lot of rain here the last few days

5. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    I hope your hunting there. that's a great area near the river bottoms. I was in Bowling Green, MO just across the river last night for work. You paying to hunt there, or permission??? whats the story?

6. JCraig

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I believe we are hunting right in that area. Me and my dad are paying for an outfitter for a high school graduation present. First time I've ever done anything like this, I've only hunted here in Maine previously. Can't wait!

7. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    went out tonight, saw the same little deer by itself again. this is the third time its offered broadside shots at less than 20 yards. I just cant bring myself to shoot it it's way small and cute it's sort of my hunting buddy i guess. It is the only deer that keeps visiting me but maybe thats cause I shoot the other ones...

8. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well have been off the grid for a bit but out hunting when i get a chance. not much action going on here just a lot of rain. pretty much thinking this season is a bust for me. oh well next year

9. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yup there's always next year, my season doesnt end until the 15th of January here but I dont have a whole lot of hunt left in me. I still get out one or twice a week but its been rainy and cruddy and havn seen a thing in my last 6 sets. but i do plane on hunting tomorrow in the am, not really holding out much hope but it beats sittin around the house.

10. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    well unless "we" can take down some major 200"+ buck in the next couple of weeks we are domed. looking at some of the other teams they have more members. NOTE to Self: grab as many members as possible next year. I haven't been in the woods since mid November. I've passed up a couple of opertunities to go out on the account that my bed was so nice to me. However, rain nor shine I'll be in the stand on the 31st. I want to end 2011 with my final bow hunt for the season. I was oringally going to goose hunt with my brothers, but do to the poor number of birds down here I'd much rather sit in my stand then walk a mile carrying dec's and setting up and not see anything. My freezer is completely full with the 100 lb of buck meat I took to the processers. I also have about 20 lbs of back straps that I cut out my self. At this point i'm strickly looking for "Ghost" he's had over a month of rest from hunters in the area, so I think i have a great chance at spotting him during the day. I'll concentrate my efforts on my hill stand area, but I'll bring my climber and set up closer to his known trail. I may even bring my decoy out to set up behind he in an opening??? but that will make for my work on my part and I'm simply worn out.

11. JCraig

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck with ghost Shane. I'm in Illinois right now, saw two 130"+ bucks today, quite a treat coming from Maine! I'll most likely put down a doe or two in the next few days and enter one into the contest. Good luck to everyone still hunting and stay safe! Merry Christmas and a happy new year!