Team 17 Official Thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Jim_IV, Aug 10, 2009.

1. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck team. I'll be headed back to my place Friday evening to hunt all weekend. Hopefully things have picked a bit from last week. The boys should be moving more by now. I HOPE :)

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    John, offtopic a bit, but I just found out through Crick's post that you do your own taxi work. That's impressive! Good luck this weekend, bud.

3. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well i have returned to Pa in one piece, but with NO ANTLERS. as of my my up date from the tree. As my other post says it was slow for me, but it has been that way all year for me. However on the last mouring i was up in my tree stand early waiting for day light to come. i still had about 20 minutes until it was light enough to shoot. When I heard a buck grunt up on the hill and then the chasing headed my way. The Doe ran by under my stand about 5 / 7 yards away. She was a good size Doe. The Buck came right by the same spot. All i could see was body shape. He was SO much larger than the Doe. I couldn't see any antlers but he was a big bodied DEER.
    I could see and hear that he was slaming his hoof's down on the ground as he was chasing her.

Thursday (11/12) i had a 9 PT come to 12 yards and i could have pulled the trigger and given us approx. 110 to 115 pts but we had a 120 minium.

Now i will be among the Orange Army. I will attempt to save at least 2 out of 3 tags for second archery season 12/26/09 to Jan 9th 2010.

Close but no cigar:(

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Mud, question. The 120" minimum...who was that set by? You? Anyways, sounds like a pretty good time. Good luck during the rifle season.

5. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The 120 inch Minimum was set by the outfitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill SNODGRASS ( SOUTHERN OHIO WHITETAILS) ???????

I HAD A GREAT TIME WITH FRIENDS!!!!!!!! Even thou i didn't score

6. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Leaving tonight to try Thursday with the bow and then shotgun season starts Friday. I'll be out with the ML mostly to patrol the boarders, but if a good one gives me a shot, I will let him have it.:)

See you guys next week or sooner.;)

7. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck John. Guys, I haven't been any help to this team. Screwed up a shot at a nice doe two weeks ago and this morning because of getting down early wanting to move my stand I missed out an opportunity to score on a huge buck with good mass..........at least a 150". One more day before firearm season...............sucks.

8. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas I made it through the Noreastern last week and actualy the hunting wan't all that bad. I'll be gun hunting with my dad, brother and sons this weekend and next weekend but afer that I plan on some late season bow hunting. The area I get most of my cam pics hasn't had bow season yet, gun season runs from Oct 1 to Nov 30 then bow season come in Dec 1 through Jan 3. So I will hopefully be able to tack on 50 more points by the end of that season. Right now my main goal is getting my oldest son on some deer with shotgun or bp. The past 2 years he has really showed some interest and I want to focus on him right now. He is getting a bow for Christmas so I figure we can set the hook with the gun and then get him ready for bowhunting before next season. I'll do the same for the 8 year old next year as he is getting a youth 20 gauge this Christmas and we will have plenty of time to get him ready for next season with that.

I have been tracking a couple of decent bucks with cams and some sightings so I might just post a gun kill sometime soon for sheets and giggles (I hope anyway). Good luck all on adding some points. If anybody has the link to the scoring info could you post it and I will get my buck added asap.

9. Jim_IV

Jim_IV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hunting here around the house this weekend. I got the green light from my buddy on the big 7 with split G2s, so hopefully I will get a crack at him. It's been a tough season so far this year. I know I can get it done in Oklahoma, I am just fighting for time to get up there

Good luck to you guys this weekend. Be safe

10. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Back from the gun season. I saw a really good buck Thursday evening while I still had my bow in hand. The problem is I was up on the hill and he was chasing 2 does around in the bottom.

Saw a couple bucks while toteing the boomstick, just nothing I wanted to burn a tag on just yet. I really want to kill him with my bow. I'll be out there till I get it done. The good news, they were picking corn again in the neighborhood this afternoon. That can only help the hunting getting rid of that hideout they have been living in.

11. Jim_IV

Dislikes Received:
    Alright guys, I'm slipping out of work early. I'll be in the stand in 1hr 30min. Wish me luck, Lord knows I need it

12. Jim_IV

Dislikes Received:
    I had the big 7 (I think) at 40 yards. It was too dark to shoot. Crap. also had 4 doe come out at 35 yards 30 minutes before dark. It was an exciting hunt to say the least. I'm getting closer and closer to closing the deal. I hope it happens soon

13. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are all so close. I have faith...we can put that pesky team 12 down :D

14. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
  15. Jim_IV

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again on the doe John

I hunted the 26th, 28th and 29th. I saw a few does on the 26th am hunt but couldn't seal the deal (I was hunting the in-laws in Oklahoma). I had a spike come by on the 28th am hunt here at my place by the house. The rest of the weekend it warmed up to 70 degrees and I was fighting off mosquitoes at the end of November, ridiculous. Needless to say I didn't see anything the rest of the weekend

16. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guys I let us down. I shot two does Tuesday afternoon and didn't get pics. Left my camera in my truck too long without recharging the batteries. Had to work 3rd shift and after recovering, field dressing, tagging, and hauling the does home I just didn't have time to get it done. My appologies to all. Hopefully I can some points with a nice buck before season is over.

17. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:

Hey, no need to apologize, Coug, it's just an online contest. Congrats!

18. Jim_IV

Dislikes Received:

x2

Glad to hear you put some meat in the freezer. Congrats

Well guys I only hunted once this weekend. It was 21 degrees Sat morning, thats real freakin cold around these parts:D. Saw four coyotes and two buck. A spike and a busted up 3 point. Both walked right under my stand. I'm suppose to be headed to Oklahoma this weekend. It will be my last good chance at a doe and a good buck. I'm seriously considering shooting the first thing with antlers that walks by. I had two goals this year.....

1. Kill an out of state doe
    2. Kill an out of state buck (no matter the size)

Plus, the wife and I are hungry, we haven't had venison in our freezer in over 3 months:eek::mad:

I'm nearing the point of desperation

19. Jim_IV

Dislikes Received:
    I'm headed to Oklahoma for my last shot in about 6 hours. Good luck to you guys this weekend!

20. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Jim! Get some backstraps down:D