Team 17 - Children of the Horn

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by srtiek, Aug 29, 2011.

1. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get on 'em guys! I'll get some days off next week - I cannot wait to pull some longer sits...there is a big one running our place right now - I'm hoping it the same buck I passed twice last year (8 points on one side (main 5 with 3 stickers) - broken main beam on the other - last year)...he gave me 2 chip shots last year, if he has both antlers this year he will be impressive.

2. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been out whenever I can get out, got skunked wednesday morning, rained in the afternoon so didn't go out.

Saw one little 3 pointer this morning, very disappointing, was in an area where the last 20 years I should have seen alot of deer, really off this year in this area, so moved over to the other side of the property, saw 5 bucks, one ok 2 year old 8 pointer, but nothing to really get the heart pounding, best thing about the afternoon was I saw 3 bucks before 3pm, so the young'ns are out and moving about in the middle of the day, hopefully the rut will come on before my vacation ends.....

3. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    OK - we need some bone posted by a teammate on this thread. Who's going to be out this weekend?
    I'll be out tomorrow morning, and possibly sunday afternoon.

Shoot Straight!

4. FLCracker

FLCracker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm goin out but hell, i've been goin out...I'm not sure whats goin on whether it was the massive drought all summer or the heavy rains and swamp conditions we have now but they just havent been moving during the day. I've had many all day sits and nothing to show for it. I've never been this far into a season and only seen 3 deer. I'm trying, fellas....good luck to everyone else.

5. USarmyMP

USarmyMP Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Midwest Ohio and anywhere the army sends me.
    Well guys looks like im going to miss the best part of the rut. Corn was still up everywhere i hunt and is being taken off starting monday. However i have to report to fort carson by sunday at midnight so im on the road. Ill be back in ohio around christmas. Im hoping to get some late season action. Good luck guys.

6. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Took a small break in my vacation and went back to work for 3 days, then will continue the vacation in the hopes the bucks start running. In the next few days maybe the bucks will move in where I can hunt.

My old man went out to a part of the property (about 120 acres) that we cannot get a treestand in, so he sat in an old groundblind/shack. Had a banner night, saw 3 shooters, all chasing, non-stop action for the last hour of the evening, not sure if you can use a bow in that blind, (he has a xbow) hate to think that for the 1st time in 25 years the deer have moved out of where they have been, not sure if there is a way to get out there :/

7. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had a simi productive weekend in the stand. Hoping to get out a couple more times before gun season. Good luck

8. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was lucky enough to get out for about 90 minutes tonite, saw 10 (6 does/fawns, 2 small 6pointers, a fork and an honest to gosh 1 pointer, one horned spike)

Pretty productive, hoping that with the SNOW!!! coming in tomorrow, Thursday will be a banner day.....

9. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    I have one more day to hunt before the WI gun season. I passed on a borderline buck this weekend in hopes the bigger one I was after would check the scrape but he didn't. Here is the buck while I was in the tree.

[​IMG]

10. Tribal

Tribal Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are lucky to even see a deer compared to my season right now. I have been out and the small funnel I hunt I figured the deer would be using but they are not. At least not often. Cameras have caught maybe 3 deer in as many weeks. Real slow. Corn is all out except one field to the north where they may be. I'll keep at it! Good Luck.

11. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wasn't able to put a tag on anything over my vacation. Seen many bucks but nothing over 130". I pretty much have my heart set on 2 bucks. One is a high 130"s mature 8pt and the other is a upper 180's main frame 10 with 4 drops. Had them on camera a couple times during the week but it was either at night or I wasn't hunting that location at the time. Still have plenty of time left. Hoping one of the two will come back looking for a few more girlfriends. I have my cams set on video right now. I'll be after them this weekend!

Big 8
    http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=PICT0009.mp4

Drops
    http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=PICT0083.mp4

12. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    Been a rough go here as well guys...Only got 1 full day off work to hunt (besides weekend) the last two weeks...PTO did not go as planned. The good news is that the rut activity here has been very little according to everyone around me - full bright moon all night, calm sunny weather in the 60's during day...my camera shows all bucks moving at night. We have not seen a hot doe yet, so I'm hopeful the next week or so will still have some rut activity (only problem is our first gun season is this Fri-Sun).

After Thanksgiving - it's back to shooting does.

Good Luck guys - somebody has to post bone for Team 17!

13. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why?

As much as I would like to see that happen, no really...

It would be better for Team 6 if you guys were to shoot trees and post hot air. As an individual, I'm wishing you all well. As a team player... "nanny nanny boo boo, we have you fellas right where we want you!"

Get 'em 17!

14. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    What Team 6 is doing is quite impressive!

But - Let's say 4 of us drop 150" monsters...and we're back in this!!! (or 3 - 200"ers...I'm not picky)

Bring it Team 17...let's finish with our heads high!

15. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well, it aint gonna happen for me (unless I get out after the gun season)

literally banged my head against a tree this year trying to figure out where the bucks went this year, tough to see, much less get in range, sat out all day today (again) and saw one decent one (far into the junk as you can see with binocs, glimpse of horn here, leg there, horn, etc....looked like he was tending) seems like that is what has been going on all week, little guys were around, tons of does and fawns, but the big boys were scarce.

good luck to the rest of you that are still plugging away....

16. Tribal

Dislikes Received:
    Well, back from hunting all weekend, literally sat from half hour before sunrise to dark today. It was single digits here this morning try that fellas. But I managed to take 2 does and at 4pm this evening hit a young 9 pointer. I either pulled or hit a small twig hit guts for sure. Going tomorrow mid day to get him. I watched him for 40 min before sneaking out and he wasn't moving too fast. I'm guessing around 100-110 hopefully. Sat 20+ sits in a tree without even a doe sighting so it was time. The reality is as much as I would like to hold off for my 6th Pope and Young, I like to be successful too. After a long COLD day in a stand it was completely worth it. I just wish the shoot had been a bit better. I'll get him.

17. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    Tribal - Good Luck today on the recovery. It'd be great to see some Horn on this page:)

18. Tribal

Dislikes Received:
    No good, we looked all day through acres and acres of cattails. Exausting walking through thick cattails let me tell ya. Problem is they are soo thick hard to say what is 10 yards from you. But I looked hard and just don't know where he went. Been awhile since I lost one, BUMMER!!

19. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    Too bad Tribal that's a bummer. Me I hunted the day before gun season and had a buck I haven't seen in 3 years. He was in the 160's and got within 35 yards. The 10 point I was trying to get a picture of and had him at 25 yards finally showed his face. turned out to be an 11. I'll be back bow hunting in December but now I have some inspiration to keep me moving.
    [​IMG]

20. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been quiet with work and family commitments but, I am out tomorrow morning for a few hours. Happy T-day. Hope to report one down by 10am.