Team 16 - Silent Slayers

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by cls74, Aug 29, 2021.

1. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Merry Christmas guys. Hope you had some good times. It’s been a tough year for us. My wife has MS and she has been slowly moving towards a wheelchair. It all started back in May. June we made a trip to the Mayo Clinic and they told us she progressed to the next stage. The last 5 months we have been learning how to adjust and make the house work for her. She fell into some deep depression at Thanksgiving and this last month has been hard.
    Today we had a great Christmas with lots of fun and I promised her I would not let her be miserable. We are going to have fun in life whatever that looks like. I would like to get out but everything is mud here. Warm temps and rain. I have all week off so maybe I will make at least one hunt. Take care and Merry Christmas!

cls74, Adamant2010, cantexian and 2 others like this.
  2. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Merry Christmas to you all as well! Got my son his first bow! He was ecstatic about it! Final count down here...have until Friday to get something else on the ground! hoping for the best this week.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You just going to leave us all hanging or what?

4 days out from January and haven't heard anything more from from you on it. If you can't score it and post it, just fess up and state so, better than just leaving everyone in the dark on it.

No reason for it to go this long without an update, you were last on a bit over 2 weeks ago and failed to check in at the least. You're definitely not going to cost us the contest, but most certainly letting us down as a team.

Score your buck and post it up, it's not that hard.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Damn, was hard to like that but hopefully everything works out in the best possible way.

Wishing the best to your wife and all your family, hopefully better times await. Stay strong.

OkieArrowSlinger and camo75 like this.
  5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I stand corrected, this was your last post but the sentiment stays the same

6. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is probably my last season doing the deer contest. Seems like the last few seasons there have been a couple guys on the teams that really stay active posting. Just a quick update on your hunting situation would be nice. Seems most folks start strong and then just fall off and completely vanish. I'm in another contest for hunting, and it's the same thing. The guys on my team there don't ever share any updates and I don't know if they are even hunting at all. I understand these contests are for fun, but the fun leaves when you or just a few of your team are active. That being said, I'm done for the season and with these contests.

7. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you!

8. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Hate to hear that. Sorry if I was part of the missing team mate saga. I believe you should never give up. Some years you might have a team that just doesn’t stay active which I agree is a bummer but then a team comes along when everything is rolling and having fun. Don’t let the slow years discourage you.
    I myself loose motivation when gun season hits because everything changes. I always like hunting in the snow but we don’t even have that here. Good luck out there to anyone still going.

OkieArrowSlinger likes this.
  9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Went out for sit on public with bow. The only deer I saw was a doe fawn on the side of the road as I was driving back.

However, I did see:

5 yelling horse riders
    4 ATVs
    3 uncontrolled dogs off leash
    2 emotionally eaten beef jerky sticks
    and a death diaper wearing bowhunting freak swinging in tree.

I wonder why the deer weren’t moving? Want my spot? Let me know and I will drop you a pin.

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My season is over for all intents and purposes.

Went this morning and grabbed my 4 wheeler, trail cam and the bucket seat(not needed but polluting the woods isn't my cup of tea). Deer were moving good yesterday for whatever reason, would have been a good day out if I sat in front of trail cam.

Still have everything loaded in the truck just in case, but not counting on getting out again.

Was a good year for the team even if points get left off the card. Appreciate the comraderie and apologies for being absent from the thread at times, Live From the Stand is my home anymore and think I'll give the contest a rest for a season or more.

Hopefully 2022 doesn't suck as much as the past 2 years have. We could all use a break.

cantexian and OkieArrowSlinger like this.
  11. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I picked this spot because some one beat to another spot I wanted to go to. I didn’t want to walk in on someone else. So, I ventured into a new spot, found a nice rubline and followed it down to where it led into a draw that opened to a food plot. Everything was looking great until people publiclanded it all over the place.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    OkieArrowSlinger likes this.
  12. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Not going to make it out myself. It’s been lots of rain here and getting something out of the woods is not in my list of things to do. It’s been fun hunting with you guys. I would take this team again. I like the contest as it’s my only way to feel I am at deer camp anymore! Wishing you all a great start to the new year and may the Good lord bless you all!

OkieArrowSlinger and cantexian like this.
  13. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Happy New Year! I'm starting off the new year with an afternoon hunt. Big cold front coming in early afternoon. Temperatures dropping by 20⁰ between 1-2pm. I should at least see deer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

14. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I was hoping to go out this afternoon. Temps are below freezing for the first time this year when I am not at work. Wind chill in the teens, but, the wind is blowing gusts 30+ mph. We were cooped up in the house all day yesterday with thunderstorms and I could tell my wife needed to get away from the kids. I will try again at some point before the contest is over. I would love to put a few more deer in the freezer if I can.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    OkieArrowSlinger and camo75 like this.
  15. Adamant2010

Dislikes Received:
    My Season is over as well. I had a chance at one of my hitlist 8 pointers and I blew it rookie mistake.... I equate it to not waiting until he was broadside but, more importantly aiming for the entrance and not the exit. Shot was low and back. Arrow had a little blood and white hair on it. He ran 30 yard and stopped. His tail was flicking back and forth repeatedly so he was definitely hurting. I gave him 8 hours and went out at 230 am to look. Found nothing. Went back at first light and searched for another 5 hours circling and zig zagging 5.5 miles with no hair, no beds, blood trail petered out after 30 yards from where I last saw him. Question is, will his death be slow and painful with coyotes in the mix, or will he live to see this years season. If I do find him before the end of the contest, will he be counted? (thinking 110-120) I'll keep an eye out for him on my cameras and I plan t go out again and search more as time allows.... I'm really torn up about putting a bad shot on him, I would have rather missed completely and dealt with the feelings that come with that instead of what transpired...

16. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    If you can recover and score it before the contest is over, it will count. I had that happen on my 2018 buck. Made a bad shot, recovered two days later after coyotes found it. Might want to hire a tracking dog if legal in your area. That is a dead deer based upon your shot description. Probably will be dead some time later today if not already.

17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It will count if recovered, there's at least one entered that was similar in occurence. Just remember to get the proper 2 photos and if coyotes/birds/scavengers get to him not it on the entry. Shot xx/xx x:xxpm recovered on xx/xx time not needed just to clear up any potential confusion.

Good luck on the recovery.

Adamant2010 and cantexian like this.
  18. Jensen

Jensen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Team, I've been MIA for a while. Been caught up with work and family. My season has come and gone, and I was unable to harvest any deer. I did however learn a lot and was able to get on plenty of deer, and with that messed up plenty of opportunities ranging from 2 bucks in SD and 2 bucks in MN, thankfully all clean misses with the exception of backstrapping a buck in SD. Simply put, it wasn't my year and I have a lot more work to put to improve my woodsmanship skills, staying calm during shots, etc., I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts and seeing your harvests, if you're still hunting I wish you the best of luck!

camo75 and cantexian like this.
  19. Adamant2010

Dislikes Received:
    Dogs are not allowed here. First week of 2022 was crap lol. Didn't find the deer (yet) and everyone in the house tested positive COVID (second time for me). I've been out and searched some more to no avail but, I did find some great buck bedding areas! I have a couple other areas I need to search so I'm still hopeful. I'll update you guys after go out again.

20. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! Hope you and the family recover quickly.

Adamant2010 likes this.