Team 16 - Silent Slayers

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by cls74, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The shot wasn’t as bad as I thought I just found her!!! Give me a bit!

2. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go brother!

Adamant2010 likes this.
  3. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Points rolling in! Congrats everyone! All I seen this evening was hogs. They stayed in the area all evening out of range.

20211110_171654.jpg

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice, don't forget your 2 pics with bow, hunter, deer and both different.

How long is a bit anyway? Drill bit, little bit, driver bit, got dog bit.....

Congrats regardless!

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I might sneak the crossbow into the local petting zoo tomorrow.

I've seen a total of 3 does this year, insane and I cannot figure out why that is. Others hunting state similar.

6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jeep is packed and ozoned. Coffee pot set. there is a rain system just now moving into the area that will be here all night. Thunderstorms forecasted between 11p-3a with the rain not letting up until 5a. Legal light is at 6:10. I will be in a tree, got the next two days to do all day sits for a mini rutcation. Gun season starts Saturday, after that any chance I get will probably involve taking out my boys to get them deer.

I did take off all of the week of Thanksgiving. Most of that time we be spent helping the MIL and beginning the process of cleaning up the property in preparation for its eventual sale. If things go well in the beginning of the week, I may try to slip out after Thanksgiving Day. Otherwise, I am probably done with the bow until after Christmas. I prioritize hunting with my older boys during gun season since they can handle a .243 but can’t draw enough weight to bow hunt yet.

7. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    congrats!

Adamant2010 likes this.
  8. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes!! Way to go man!!!

Adamant2010 likes this.
  9. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok I got my entry posted in the Score thread! She weighed 97lbs.

thumbnail_IMG_8497.jpg

cantexian, cls74 and OkieArrowSlinger like this.
  10. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!:tu:
    Take 2 pics with that buck in back and put us in the lead!

OkieArrowSlinger and Adamant2010 like this.
  11. Jensen

Jensen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good work fellas! So I am going to get to go sit today for a bit, thankfully! Problem is high winds 20+ mph with it dying down to about 17 or so closer to closing time. Question is, I was looking at a marsh area the other day during my break and it was hot with sign and I don't think it gets a lot of pressure because of the cat tails and marsh environment. With the high winds would you guys give it a shot or look for a different area where the bucks may be moving on the leeward side of slopes?

Adamant2010 and OkieArrowSlinger like this.
  12. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    Had a decent 8 point come into 25yds, but I didn't feel comfortable with that long of a shot. Going back first thing in the morning to try again.

camo75, cantexian, rbhunting1 and 2 others like this.
  13. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rifle season kicks off in Arkansas Saturday. I'll be taking out the .308 for several days next week trying to get the buck I've been chasing for three seasons. He'll probably show up in bow range but if I hunt with my bow he'll be out of range. I still need to put a doe on the board. I have 4 antlerless tags for Arkansas and 4 for Oklahoma. I still have plenty archery season left to get it done.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

14. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Well my sit today started off well. I got into one of my favorite spots on a piece of public. It is a creek bottom with a thick that does well bed in and it is a transition area between food on private land and bedding.

On the walk in, I found the tree I wanted to get in and have hunted in the past had been taken down by a beaver. I moved to a different tree about 75 yarda away. I saw an unknown buck with its nose to the ground about 20 minutes into light about 60 yards away. About 30 minutes later around 7:45 I had a spike at 18 yards.

around 10 the winds started to shift so I got down and moved over to where I had seen the first buck. I found a few scrapes and a point where several trails come together. I have hunted within 100 yards of this spot several times but somehow missed this exact location.

Unfortunately, there were several trees within shooting distance of the scrapes but the were either too small to get in or had not shooting lanes on the downwind side because of all the smaller trees. I climbed 6 different trees and nothing worked to hunt those hot scrapes with the wind.

as I was getting out of the last tree by pull rope slipped out of my hands and my pack with bow attached fell 15 feet to the ground. Fortunately, my pack took the worst of it. I lost one of the mounting screws to my sight. I called it after that point and went home about 1:30.

to add insult to injury, as I was trying to get one of those trees near the scrapes set up, I had a buck chase a doe with in 15 yards of me. Of course, my pack and bow were on the ground. That was around 11:30.

i put new screws in the sight with locktite. Shooting when I got home, I was hitting low and right. I am sure the sight got bumped off, I will have to adjust that in the morning.

hoping I get take care of it without going to a shop. I will get out later in the day after I test it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    OkieArrowSlinger, cls74 and camo75 like this.
  15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hope to get my head back by Monday and will get it scoree and entered. Not sure how many bucks/deer the top 3 or others close have outstanding but we're within a buck or bonus deer of entering top 3.

Don't drop your standards for the sake of a contest, but at least we are competing.

A few of us still active, do we have anyone that is no longer hunting? I'll have to go back to page one and see who hasn't been active for awhile.

Almost need a second check in, might send out a mass group text to everyone, sonif you get one and have posted in the past week or two ignore.

16. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Gun season starts Saturday for us. Our pole barn is now complete so I will be moving stuff in this weekend and taking time to work around the house. I get a lot of time off during Christmas and Thanksgiving so I will be after a doe then. Might also slip out here and there if I get the chance.

17. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    FYI, I will post my buck as soon as the butcher calls me to pick up the meat. May be another week or so depending on how busy he is.

Dave

OkieArrowSlinger and cantexian like this.
  18. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    Had a big buck I was chasing last season come through chasing a spike off. I may have gotten a little footage, but I'm not too sure. Never had a shot opportunity. He's a 5yo 8pt on public here in the GA mountains. I've got a few trail camera pics of him from last season. Haven't had any out here this season, so it was a big surprise to see him.

Adamant2010 and OkieArrowSlinger like this.
  19. OkieArrowSlinger

Dislikes Received:
    I’m sure that was a cool encounter!

20. OkieArrowSlinger

Dislikes Received:
    Passed a 3 yr old 9pt this morning just before sunrise. Very tempted but I know there are at least 3 larger, more mature bucks in the area. He’ll be a good one next year if he makes it, either way it was fun. Got my heart thumping for a bit!
    46AC9978-F2E1-42D0-AA2E-F2E688A686B8.jpeg

rbhunting1 and Adamant2010 like this.