**Team 16 Official Thread**

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by Fitz, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good post cls...someone always forgets!

Fitz...congrats on the doe!

2. ChrisSchwarz

ChrisSchwarz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting Saturday evening.....had a doe and fawn with in 20 yards TWICE and could not get a shot off. First time she took a different run than I thought she would, second time a bachelor group of bucks chased her back up the ridge...if she would have followed the fawn.....but nope by the time she came to the opening it was a moving quartering away shot at 30+ yards....pass.

Edit: Anything Fitz?????

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, I forgot to update this thread. Yes, the doe is hanging in the garage. Augustice had clean misses. My doe was piled up about 100 yds from the stand.

[​IMG]

There's more details in my Journal Thread (link in my sig).

Nothing this AM or lastnight. I'll try and get out one of these evenings before the weekend, otherwise sunday night might be the next time I get out.

4. ChrisSchwarz

ChrisSchwarz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Would have been awesome to stick blade on the opening weekend as well. But from your past seasons stats it was a hell of a weekend regardless.

Were you able to pull the trail cam card? Any recent pics of him in the area?

I'm ready for Oct. to get here, but looks like it may warm back up again so may be even longer until I get out.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Funny you should ask :tu: Just checked it today :tu:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, some hard-horned detail :rock:

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice, he loves to split his tines.

You getting many does in this area or mainly just him? New Moon and after dark movement, wonder if he's getting his instincts going. You just have the one camera in this area? Seems as if you've got his core area pegged, now just need to did where his ladies will be in a few weeks if you don't get him sooner.

Really hope you get him, contest aside

8. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome pics Fitz. I love all the junk on that deer. Just one of the coolest racks ive seen.

Little update where I am at hunting wise. Got my last stand set this evening. Put in on a flat in the private land that I hunt. Overlooks 2 good creek crossings and the main highway that runs the length of the flat. Luckily was able to find a good tree on the opposite side of the creek that offers good shots and very easy access.

Sunday I went and hung a stand in the area on Corp of Engineers ground my buddy and I have been calling the triangle of death. We went back in and went to one end of it where we think is main entrance/exit for this area and hug a stand that I just love the location of. When you sit in it you can just see the exactly how the deer would move through the area. Really loving that find.

Deer were moving a lot this evening. Had a cold front come though last night and today was a perfect day human wise and the deer enjoyed it too. High was 72 and dead calm on the wind. Dad and I saw about a dozen or so and that was with us making a lot of noise, talking putting up a stand. Also saw a lot in the fields on the way home.

Looking at the extended weather I'll probably make my first forays out hunting this weekend. Highs are supposed to be in the 60s lows in the 40s. Mostly north winds so things should fall together nicely. Also, got my vacation scheduled for October 20-31. Weather permitting a ton of hunting will get done in that time frame. Would like for that to be later but job blacks out November 1st-January 1st.

Anyway, good luck to everyone. Hope to see some great kills in the coming weeks.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks cls! I get does there too. and a few other bucks. I know I'm close, but there's a lot I'm still guessing at with him. I have the one cam there right now. I think I'm going to pull my other cam and swap them out. Then put the Bushnell between here and where I think he's bedding. We'll see, I think it may rain tomorrow, so it'd be a good day for that.

Sounds like you are set to go! Good luck this weekend. Glad it's cooling down for you. We hit 27 this AM :tu:

10. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again on the doe, Fitz. Still patiently waiting for October 6th here in Virginia. I feel so unprepared this season....haven't shot my bow near as much as I'd like, didn't check my stand locations for trimming and what not, not much scouting. Guess this is the year I kill a brute! :) I have my ole standby honeyholes...they won't let me down.

11. BShunter

BShunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Fitz! I start Oct 1 and hope to do the same!

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I knew I wouldn't be able to wait, just took off the first two days of the season. 11 days and I'll be back in the tree, and after checking meat inventory last night, I won't be overly selective with the antlerless variety.

Definitely been a long wait

13. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    So my boss wouldn't approve my vacation for October and said no management could go in October. He came to me asked what I had planned and I told him deer hunting. He asked then if the second or third week of November would work for me instead. So know I can have any week after November 8th off. Worked out pretty awesome for me.

But know I have question for you moon phase guys. Full moon is on November 13. Would be it be better hunting leading up into the full moon or the going out of the full moon. Was thinking I would take the 10th-17th off unless you guys have a more logical time frame. Was thinking if it was better hunting leading into I can move it one way or the other by a couple of days.

14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know much about before or after, just know I don't like hunting during the full moon. I always try to take somewhere between the 5th and 12th off.

I think this year I am going to take the 2nd-11th off if possible. 1st shotgun season is 16-18th so definitely want to be in before that, although I did get one either sex firearm tag.

15. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's a great week off, but it's a New moon, not full. I like new moons better anyway, I don't think it promotes nighttime activity as much as the full does. The 5-7th look like stellar days too :tu: If you could swing 10 days, the 5th-14th would be my choice.

16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice catch, I didn't look at dates just went by what was posted. But agree, definitely wouldn't care about the new moon. Darker the better, be nice to have a nice cold snap about that time as well. I think a lot of locales are due for a stellar rut this year, I'm super optimistic about the season. Could just be preseason excitement, but have that feeling and love it!

17. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    Looked at the calendar wrong. The earliest I can take is probably the 8th-15th so thats probably what I'll do. I don't have to worry about any gun seasons or anything. That doesn't roll in until the first Wednesday after Thanksgiving.

18. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I had this same week November 10th-20th off and it was a full moon week. It was a pathetic rut. I did kill a nice 11 right at last light on the 17th. We were field dressing it out and the deer were everywhere around us. They were definitely getting their business done at night. Glad I read it wrong and its a new moon instead of full.

19. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My vacation starts Nov 3rd-16th. Then I'll be off again Nov 27th-Dec 2nd (regular days off). Starting to get really excited.

20. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like tomorrow night might be my next chance to sneak out. Running solo at the resrot right now, have to see how things go through tomorrow morning. If it's all good, I hope to head across by 2:30 or 3.