**Team 16 Official Thread**

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by Fitz, Aug 25, 2012.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be heading out in the morning. Moon set isn't going to be as early as last time so hopefully I'm not busting deer the whole way in. I hate daylight savings time ends this weekend, I'm kind of getting used to the late awakenings.

I'm really optimistic on tomorrow, full moon be damned, I'm going in with bad intentions!

2. Troutking

Troutking Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck cls74, hope you get a good one tomorrow. Keep up the hunting frantic, I know its not easy when your sick. I feel a cold coming on as we speak, hopefully I am over it by next week.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't have quite the day Fitz did, but it could have happened in the end. I've got to change it somehow, I keep putting deer on alert for some reason and it never used to happen.

Seen a spike and small 4-5 pointer tailing two small does about 9am. After that all was quiet except for an occasional group of turkey on the next property. Climbed down about 3 and switched stands. About 5 I had a lot of leaves rustling on the other side of a drainage ditch. Couldn't see anything and thought a buck was making a scrape. Out steps a turkey and then about 15 more came in cutting and yelping. They went over to the stand I had left earlier and milled about. Finally roosted about 5:30 and all went quiet until the squirrels came back out. About 5:45 I heard what I thought was a squirrel in the creek behind me. I slowly caraned around to my right and an 8 was standing there and looked at me. I think he caught the bill of my cap, I was pretty tight to the tree. Anyhow, I turned back around and froze, a bit later I looked to my left and he had somehow quietly got 60yds down the creek walking off.

Snuck down and swapped cards n the cam. Think it was this guy, nothing overly special big bodied but decent rack. Would have shot him for the simple fact it was Halloween. 1st pic.

The other 4 pics are of a young guy, but if he lives another 2-3 yearshe'll be a stud. Already has double split brows

Attached Files:

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm at work tomorrow, then 3 days off, should have a better wind Friday and the best winds for me will be Saturday, chance of rain, and Sunday.

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at it guys! They are definately moving up here.

In case you missed it, I missed this guy today....

[​IMG]

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, I'm done with predictions and jinxing myself.

Tomorrows weather:

Friday Sunny, with a high near 53. Light and variable wind becoming east northeast 5 to 7 mph in the morning.

Here is a panoramic view from the stand I'll be in

[​IMG]

The little culvert is directly in front of me facing south. Left of the picture is due east and right is west. Although it's panoramic it's actually more concave in nature.

To the east is the doe bedding, behind the big tree in center is where the trail cam is. Bucks go in and out of this area all the time and with an ENE wind if they're out scent checking they should be coming through there similar to how they travel on the cam photos. The light winds are a bit of concern, I'm going to spray down like there's no tomorrow. South winds are better, but not looking like any of those in the near future and easterly is the second best option especially with a north component.

Sun up to sun down, that's the only thing I'm guaranteeing unless something happens earlier.

7. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys...sorry i haven't checked this thread in a while. Been working long hours with the restoration effort from Sandy.Hope all of our sick members are feeling better. Fitz...sorry to hear about the miss...i need to get caught up on your thread.

I shot a real tall 7 ptr last night at 6:00. Got it on video but the shot was low and back a bit. Actually thought i just grazed his belly but got down to the arrow and it was watery blood. Then i saw some stomach matter....its not a typical gut shot through the intestines...it was really low. Backed out, called work to swap shifts so i can look for him this morning. Currently sitting in my truck with my dog waiting on daybreak.

Not too optimistic but I'll give it my best. The video was taken with a Panasonic lumix and it recoded in AVCHD format, i believe. Couldn't edit it in windows movie maker. Would like to shorten down and post. Ideas?

8. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Found him....pix later.

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wasn't going to post from the stand today but seen this.

Can't wait to see him, congrats! Glad you found him

Had a 2 1/2 7pt. chase a doe through about 8:30. Then have had two separate deer blow from the north of me. Frigging wind is blowing every direction but the forecasted. Heck of a lot gustier too.

10. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work Finch! Congrats!

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well, since I've been bow hunting I am now 3 days shy of tieing my longest open to the season without putting a deer down. I went in to today ready to drop the first antlerless or decent buck that gave me the opportunity. I was ready to spend tonight processing a deer and getting the freezer started. Then it happened, the first sighting of the day was a 2 1/2 horn crazed 7 chasing a doe. I just knew the rest of the day was going to be filled with much of the same and bucks cruising. Then reality checked in.

It wasn't a bad day, ended up with 7 deer seen the one buck was the sole male deer. All the does except for the one being chased were solo. I passed on an easy chip shot twice on fawns knowing a buck was going to be along soon after. Then as light was fading I had another doe come out in the powerline right of way and feed just where I couldn't get a shot, instead of working her way to me she ducked back in where she came out.

Got that split brow buck on cam again, I'm seriously thinking about taking him if given the opportunity. He's not neccessarily the clean 10 I'm after, but he is a 10 and I have another buck tag. Something about him that I like.

I'm hoping to make it back out tomorrow, waking up at 3:30 comes early especially after a 13 hour stint on stand. Supposed to rain but that may be to my favor.

Congrats again Finch, so was your dog able to trail him pretty good?

12. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So close. I thought he was spooked by a 4 pointer on the other side of the drainage ditch, then I convinced myself he spooked on the trail cam triggering, but it wasn't triggered. When he comes in you can see him look across at the 4, I commited to the 8 and no clue what the 4 was doing.

Between my arrow falling off the string, a deer coming in I wasn't expecting and the excitement I struggled pulling the bow back a bit. I'm really not that weak, honest. Quality went to crap for some reason on the upload, but you can get a good idea on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23E4qYrgfes&feature=youtu.be

14. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome!!! You weren't joking when you said real tall. Thats a cool rack

I was planning on going this evening but decided to stay in to see if I can kick the last bit of this cold. Planning on all dayers Monday and Tuesday followed by 7 days off starting the 10th.

15. ChrisSchwarz

ChrisSchwarz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted Thursday thru Sunday.........saw a total of 9 deer.....four different smaller bucks.....from 1.5yo to 2.5yo......the rest were fawns.

I have never had a rut (in the peak here from my records.....1st-5th) this slow. Very little cruising and zero doe movement. We have a corn field real close that is about 150+ acres and I am thinking they are holding up in there. Weather has been great even with the NE wind.

Give her a go Thur-Sun again then the riffle starts the week after...then ML then four day Doe only.....then back to bow hunting, although I will be bowhunting during some of those times as it is legal now.

We did lose a lot of deer in our area to EHD so..........I know they one 15 pt died from it....he was a TOAD.

16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck on your upcoming trip! Should be a heck of a week.

I'll be back out Wednesday all the way through Monday if need be. Just need a little better luck to swing my way.

17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Hope it picks up for you this weekend. I've seen 2 shooters so far, and had a 2 1/2 chase a doe this past Friday. Hoping it picks up this week, supposed to turn warm over the weekend. I'll get a good 3 full days sits in before then.

Good luck this weekend!

18. ChrisSchwarz

ChrisSchwarz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yeah.....heading north because of the weather....no doe shooting.

Good luck to you also.

19. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just shot a doe. Pretty iffy placement I flinched terribly on the shot. Half her stomach is hanging out and she can't move real well but can still move enough to get away. Giving her a couple of hours.

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, Bro .... wait 6 hours and you will find her dead pretty close! Looking forward to the pics ....