Team 15 Official Thread

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by SouthDakotaHunter, Aug 25, 2012.

1. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I missed my target buck Friday night - I got stupid and hit a branch - you know the one - the branch you think about trimming but you leave to give yourself a little more cover... To say I was disappointed would be a massive understatement (truthfully - only other bowhunters can know what that feels like - to be patient, target a specific mature buck, waiting for perfect wind, doing everything right - EXCEPT closing the deal)... Certainly a moment like we talked about the other day - the low lows of bowhunting... On the flip side - went out this morning and had another productive sit. A doe and her doe fawn and then 3 smaller bucks all cruising\sniffing around together. The largest of the 3 will most likely be a shooter next year and he was really pushing his luck - with the amount of time he spent giving me all types of shot angles under 20 yards...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. SeanMF9104

SeanMF9104 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well guys i am done for the season...... 8-(. I will be in a sling for the next 2 months.

until next year guys..
    Sean

3. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow that sucks, sorry to hear that. Take care of yourself and heal quick!

4. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    Well as some of you know, I took a buck today. Not my ideal buck, but opportunity knocked hard. Unfortunately, hes broken off after the G2 on one side, and seems to be kind of busted up, so Im not sure how well he will score. Took him at about 35 yards quartering away. Tucked the arrow in at the end of the rib cage, it passed through the tip of the heart and came out through the right tricep area. He went about 50 yards and my hunting partner was able (once again) to watch my deer fall near his stand! This is the second time hes been able to watch the end result of a well placed shot ( something i tease him about regularly). I will get the measurements and post the pics in the next few days. The best part of today was that my parents were up visiting and my Dad was able to take part. I think this really made his day, maybe even his week. :)

I wish everybody well, shoot straight and stay safe!!

5. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    SD I feel your pain! I think we have all been there at one time or another. Hang in there, perhaps your buck will give you another opportunity, or maybe a better opportunity will find you!!

My first year bear hunting, my friend and I went in to check his bait only to find the bear in the bait as we walked in. He went to take the shot and found that branch. He shot right under the bear tummy! My only concern thereafter was which path did the bear intend to leave on since the were only three pathways to the bait and we were standing on one of them!! The bear took a path which we werent standing on (thank goodness!)

Persistance pays off!!

6. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome - congrats!!!! Can't wait to see the pics!!

Well it's getting close to party time.... I've got to help take the kids around on Halloween, but beyond that, there are only a handful of days in the next 3 weeks that I can't be out in the stand at least for an evening sit and if need be (still an un-punched tag), my plan will be to take the week of Nov 12 off....

7. sevi316

sevi316 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First off I want to say sorry to Junior and Sean... That is tough luck for both of you...

Now on a Good note.... I pulled my trail cam pics and there is a MASSIVE BUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bad news is he is moving at Midnight right now and I only have 2 pics of him.... I will post the pics later tonight... I am at work right now but I am just so pumped I had to tell you guys!!!! They need to start moving in Day light really soon

8. DoubleLung

DoubleLung Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    SDH, I feel your pain... Sounds like a great week of hunting however, and I'm sure that just having the opportunity to finally get in front of your #1 buck is something you won't forget, and that's what it is all about!

9. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    photo.jpg

Well, as some of you already know... my hunting partner and I had the greatest week our hunting careers to date! Thursday morning we were fortunate enough to harvest our #1 hit list buck (SPLITS). He turned out to be every bit of a trophy as we expected, he scored 172 4/8! It was our first buck harvest as 'U.P. FULL DRAW'! We got the shot and everything that comes with it on film, I'll let you all know when we get it edited and posted.

The rest of the week for me was with a bow in hand. I had some great encounters with two very nice bucks that never read the script completely. Saturday morning we had a shooter buck chasing some does about 80 yards out and Sunday morning I was able to rattle a nice 10 pointer to within 55 yards before hanging up there.

I'll end with telling you all what you proabably already know..... GET OUT IN THE WOODS! This is the best time of year and the bucks are pushing! Can't wait to get back at it this weekend, Good Luck Team 15!

checkout U.P. Full Draw's Facebook page to view all the photos taken from this past weekend! www.facebook.com/upfulldraw, be sure to Like us when your there! :)

10. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    PICT0021.jpg
    PICT0023.jpg

Good Luck Sevi.. nothing gets the blood flowing like getting a stud on camera!

I had similar luck on Sunday when I checked my trailcam on a scrape and got this guy for the first time this year. I'm not positive but it might be a buck we call 'Mr Rodgers' from last year.... regardless he's a shooter and I can't wait to get after him.

11. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that Sean... Here's to a quick recovery! Take care of yourself!

12. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about your shoulder... Hope your recovery goes well!

13. sevi316

sevi316 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    WGI_0011.jpg

Named him Tank... To say the least I am very pumped!!!! We don't get these deer in my little town in Indiana

14. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    DoubleLung - that's a stud you guys got for sure!! Sounds like you're getting close to putting down some bone yourself!! Keep at it!

Sevi - great looking buck - good luck on him!! I love the name tank! Here is a buck I nicknamed Tank about 5 years ago (pic below)... I shot him that year late season - unfortunately didn't realize before I shot him but he had busted himself all up.... Was still a great buck though and his weight was something else!

I really want to be out this evening - unfortunately had a dentist appt this morning and didn't make it to work until near noon - so figure I better not leave early today.... Plus there are better days yet to come! Looks like a mini front moving through my area this weekend. I'm so excited my palms are sweating :-)

[​IMG]

15. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    Dang! He is a Stud! Good Luck with him Sevi. We harvested a buck last year named 'Tank' he turned out to be a 7.5 year old beast.
    Go get em! :)

16. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    By the way Sevi... that's a sweet looking pic!

17. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    I'm headed back into the woods Friday... who's with me?

18. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone have any experience in using decoys? I'm throwing the idea around for this weekend, I've always wanted to try it and after ratteling a buck in last week, only to get hung up at 55 yards, I'm really tempted! Please share your experience with me good or bad and if you have used one what kind was it?
    Thanks guys... Good luck this weekend!

19. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I'm heading back into the stand after taking the last 2 days off... Will just be evening sits but least I'll be in the stand... Plan to hit it hard this weekend too...

20. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've got one of the Flambeau buck decoys... They can be a lot of fun. Really a toss up. Seems like bucks either get bristled up and head in or it almost scares them off - may try and do a big downwind circle to get wind in their favor also. Friend of mine shot a really nice buck last year using a decoy that he probably wouldn't have shot otherwise... Just don't face a buck decoy straight away from you (doe decoy that's not as bad) - increases the chance the buck will come in and not give you a shot. I prefer putting the decoy fairly close - around 20 yards (and would rather be a nick under 20 than over - but then I like close shots), then put it either facing towards me or put it directly broadside from me. Generally I spray mine down with scent spray once I've got it assembled and in place. I've added a small square of white plastic sack back by its tail a few times for movement. Again - sometimes they like it, sometimes they don't - that's the risk you run into using a deek...