Team 15 Official Thread

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by SouthDakotaHunter, Aug 25, 2012.

1. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    good luck this weekend guys i have 4 days off this weekend i will be in stand all the days in the afternoons have been seeing some buck sign so i hope to see one

2. DoubleLung

DoubleLung Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be taking my oldest son out to the tree this weekend... hope to see some deer and smoke a doe at the least. I'm going to have him video tape, should be interesting (he's 8). :) It'd be great to get him on a blood trail!

3. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    Question for everyone: This day and age most everybody owns a trailcam... how many do you guys have in the woods? And what one is your favorite?

4. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    I suppose I should answer my own question. I own 10 camera's, 5 Bushnells, 4 Moultrie's & 1 Gameview, I've also owned a Stealth Cam and a Cuddeback. As for my favorite; I like my bushnells but with what little experience I have with my Moultrie's I couldn't be happier with them. The like the features that the Moultrie's have and the quality they provide are great. I'd give it to my Bushnells if I didn't have the screens stop working on 3 of them. :(
    I have all camera's (except the one I bought today) out in the field, I'm sure you'd all agree it's like christmas everytime you go and check them... What did we ever do without em?

5. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I made it out the last two evenings for sits... Didn't see anything but WOW - just beautiful nights to sit! I've got to travel for work the rest of the week but weather is suppose to be really crappy anyway. Hopefully things settle down by the time I get back...

I own four trail cameras - all Moultrees. Right now I've got 3 of them out. I used to run them starting in the summer and fall but now I've kinda changed my tune and generally put them out about when the season starts. My models use 6 D batteries each - so that's almost $40 each time to change batts in all units so putting them out at the start of the season, I can run them for about a month, then once the batts are done, I usually just pull the cam.

6. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck man!!

7. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You two will have an awesome time I am sure....Good luck!!

8. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Trail Cams

I totally agree about checking cams....However I am about fed up of spending money on them and having problems...I have had 2 Wildviews, 3 Cuddeback, 1 Bushnell, 1 Moultrie, and 2 Primos. All of have had problems including my newest,Primos Ultra 35. I used it one time and all the IR pics were blurry. I had to download new firmware and I tried it out last night and it still didn't work. As a matter of fact I think I smelled burning...Needless to say I am pissed

9. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    NC, I hear ya. There is nothing more frusturating than that. It's a love hate thing. :)

10. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LOL...Definitely DL!!

11. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not been able to check on for a few days....I have about 6 smaller young bucks hanging on one parcel Im hunting. I have a short video clip on my phone of two bucks sparring. These two bucks are little fork horns and although its nice to see them frequently, it sucks to see them so frequently too. I get all excited hearing something walking/trotting through the woods and then I see its these two...again! LOL regardless, its still pretty neat. The same parcel has three older, heavier bucks, which are on my hit list. One of these bucks however, is broken off on one side after the G2.

Reference trail cams, I love the Moultries and the Reconyxx. Reconyxx uses 12 AA batteries, but those batteries last me a very long time. Ive also used the Buckeye cam which is a bit more bulky, but has email options amongst other options which make it really nice. The email option is nice because I don't need a subscription or cell signal. It transmits off radio waves. Now where everything seems to be going digital narrowband, I guess Ill have to wait and see how the camera is effected.

DL good luck with your hunt with your son. Should be memorable regardless of deer.

12. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys. I just looked at the team scores and we're at 250! Not bad for not having a buck down... yet!

The bucks will come and when they do; will be in the running for this thing at the end of the year. Good Luck this weekend crew.

13. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Came to a conclusion this week - I need to make some adjustments for south wind.... I've decided that at my best spot/creek I'm not going to hunt it with a south wind this year which means I need more options...

14. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright...trivia time...What is the "lucky charm" that you absolutely must have with you in the stand?

15. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    A plain black stocking cap. Not sure how old the primary one I have is but it feels like it's been around since I can remember - ha ha... It's pretty much always in my pack and if it's 50 or below, most likely I have it on... In fact - think I had it on in my doe pics from the other day...

16. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    I think my "Lucky charm" is my foliage green summer fleece I bought a few years ago along the canadian border. Nice and warm yet lightweight, and I have a few deer and bears to my bowhunting credit while wearing my fleece.

Alright, next Trivia question...face paint or mask?

17. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    face paint and i have a knife i never go with out i have had it for 30 years now

18. WIHoytHunter

WIHoytHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a picture of a buck that came to investigate my mock scrape. It's hard to tell how big it is due to the corn stubble but I believe it is a decent 8-pointer I have other pictures of. If I can find them, I'll post those later. I made the scrape around 10am and this picture was taken at 5:25pm. The camera must be too far away from the scrape because this is the only deer picture I got and I know there were more deer around the scrape. Poor location on my part. I'll keep you guys posted on my Code Blue "Grave Digger" experiment.
    PICT0007.jpg

19. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds and looks good!!

20. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty good evidence right there WI.