Team #14 Rack Reapers

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by jmbuckhunter, Aug 30, 2010.

1. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Darn it John! When I got a text from you I figured it meant bone-on-ground. You're such a tease!

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry about the tease Rob, just thought I'd give you guys an update.

I saw what I think was 4 different shooters this weekend. From 35-40 yards away crashing through the the woods to 110 yards away in the food plot checking out a doe. The bucks were definately moving during daylight Friday and Saturday when it was cold. Not really chasing does just cruising around searching. Not so much Sunday and Monday after it warmed up quite a bit. I'll be headed back Thursday or Friday whenever I can get away from work. It's supposed to cool off some by then but colder would be better. One of those good bucks has to walk by me sooner or later.

3. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Work's for chumps. Go Kill Deer!!!!!!

4. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    :D At least have fun not being at work!

5. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Who's still chasing those bucks on the team? This is the best time to be in the woods in most of the country. Buck activity has been picking up every week for the last couple, it should be crazy this weekend. I'll be back after them this Friday-Sunday. Can't stay Monday this week. Gotta cover for 2 guys at work taking off for Missouri gun season.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  6. Oklabowyer

Oklabowyer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck John! I'm after them with my recurve Friday-Sunday. I just checked the Federal WMA's website and they killed 5 P&Y's this last weekend. I've been practicing like mad with the old bear recurve so I hope I can connect if I get my opportunity. Out to 25 yards I'm dialed in.

7. hoytuser

hoytuser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am, but with the muzzleloader. Went out last weekend with it, and will be out this weekend with it too. Then 1 weekend with the bow, then back into muzzleloader, for 3 weeks.

8. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hitting the road now for a 3 day weekend of killing. It has to be happening in the woods now or at least after the cold front blows thru tomorrow. Sat & Sun temps are only supposed to be in the low 50's. That should help daytime movement. It has been in the upper 70"s the last few days.

Hoping to lay down a bunch of points. :rock:

9. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Get on 'em boys! Today was my first day afield for goats of the season. The billy we spotted last night bailed out of his hole in a hurricane to go looking for love someplace else. The nannies were still there though so I'm going to keep checking them over the weekend to see if any other suitors show up. If not, it's off on the 90' trawler for a trip to the south end of the island next week.

10. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well team, I'm home empty handed again. :cry: All I saw was small bucks and they were everywhere, I saw 8 different bucks Saturday alone, the woods was crawling with them. You should be able to see some of them on this weeks Bowhunt or Die episode. Two 8 pointers were tempting but only 2 year old 115 ish bucks. I still have plans on putting up bigger numbers than that. But it won't be this weekend, gun season.

11. Oklabowyer

Dislikes Received:
    Got back yesterday from my hunt on the Federal WMA. Man what a hunt, unfortunately I couldn't close the deal on a buck. That is one amazing place and we were there on the right 3 days. I saw deer everywhere. Big bucks were on they're feet and checking does and scrapes all day long. I had a monster come in but he got downwind of me. He got within 25 yards but was in some thick stuff and before he got into my shooting lane busted me. I passed a perfect shot opportunity on a 115" 10 point on the first morning. I think they killed 7 Pope and Youngs on the 3 days I was there.

On a side note, the guy that owns the property that I have leased for the last 7 years but lost after last season called me and offered it back to me for the rest of this season for half of what I usually pay. His weekend hunting package deal didn't pan out the way he planned (at least to this point) I took him up on the offer. Hopefully he'll let me lease it again next year but this should substantially increase my chances of killing a nice buck.

12. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been bowhunting hard the past 2 weeks...even though the orange army was in town. They shot off 3 does...going to let the woods settle this week and hit it hard until december 31st

13. Oklabowyer

Dislikes Received:
    Here's one of the bucks they killed on the Federal WMA last weekend. Grossed 168 and change for a mainframe 8 point with several stickers. I think in all he had 14 scorable points. Check out the mass.

Attached Files:

14. Oklabowyer

Dislikes Received:
    I took my 5 year old out with me yesterday evening. I traded the bow for my 30-06 in hopes of shooting something while he was with me and of course he had to take his cap gun. He's been out several times with me but we usually don't see much. He sat patiently (well as patiently as a 5 year old can be) for a couple of hours. I took him some snacks and a drink as well as a couple of books to read. We sat in one of our blinds that overlooks a transition area where the deer move from a bedding area to a winter wheat field. With around 15 minutes left of shooting light I spotted a doe around 100yards off. We watched her for a few seconds as she moved off into a thicket. Then two more crossed the clearing. He wanted me to shoot but I told him that we should wait to see if anything else came out. A minute later a big doe came out right near the blind. He watched her as she circle behind us and started down a trail that took her 15 yards from the blind. He says, "Daddy shoot her". I say are you sure? He said yeah. So I told him to hold his ears and I shot. She ran 70 yards and piled up. We got out and I gave him the light and had him follow the blood trail. He did perfect! He saw her ahead about 30 yards and he got so excited. He ran straight to her. He said aren't you glad I saw her? I said yeah! He said I sure am glad I've been eatin all those carrots! Man he was pumped! What a great evening in the woods!

Attached Files:

15. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a great experience! I just got back in from a boat trip down to the south end of Kodiak to chase goats and deer. I'll get a story up in the next couple of days.

16. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm back from the gun season with all of my tags in my pocket. Had one close call with a good buck. I heard a twig snap behind me and leaned around the tree for a peek. I was staring a good buck in the eyes. He didn't stick around long. I don't know of any of the neighbors killing any big bucks, but I don't know all of them. Maybe I can find out some info this weekend when I'm back to bow hunting.

I know there are a few good ones left tho and late season should be good hunting. I have some of the only standing food left in the neighborhood.

17. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Would one of you PLEASE run a stick through something?!!!!

18. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously, when I get back from HI in 10 days there better be some bone on the ground!
    :cool:

A happy and safe Thanksgiving to all of you. Remember to be thankful for being able to get out and enjoy bowhunting as much as we do.

19. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, haven't been on in a while, the move has been crazy. I will be going back in December for a late season deer hunt, hopefully I can throw down some points then.

I hope nobody hates me for this lol, but my dad killed a stud out of my treestand. This buck would have won it for us if I was still there. 176 5/8's. Couldn't be happier for my ol' man!

Pictures on our hunting group's Page. Parallel 46
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Parallel-46/159306070774682

20. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be headed back out to my property on Friday. It'll be interesting to see if I get some pics of the good bucks on my cams after the gun season last weekend. Hopefully a few of them survived the massacre.

I don't think my water hole is gonna be as hot as it was tho. We got a couple of inches of rain here in the last few days. The creek will have plenty of water in it now.