TEAM 14 - Game of Bones

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by Fitz, Aug 14, 2017.

1. pdun24

pdun24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also just had an encounter with another nice buck. He picked me out of the tree before I could even move to try to get my bow. He walked up to about 5 yards of the stand staring at me. I hoped he would relax and go back to feeding. That was not the case. He spooked. I’ll attach photo from trail cam he walked by when I get down.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If he ducked it at 25 yards that's amazing. I don't think any bow hunter would have aimed that low at that yardage. Nice buck, hope he doesn't head for the hills on ya.

3. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Well how's everyone doing? Hope seasons are going well. Had a small forkie cruise past me a week ago when I was out turkey hunting right in the middle of the day. I just shook my head thinking where were you when deer season was open!! Put down a hen and did her up for Thanksgiving. Not the biggest bird in the world but she fit in the smoker and tasted good. Well hope everyone is well and ready for the holidays. Best of luck to everyone still hunting!!!

4. pdun24

pdun24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll try to upload the video with the arrow marked. It’s still haunting me.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it. They don't stay alive by walking around and hoping we make bad shots. Chances are he'll do something different if you get another crack at him. The only consistent thing I've found in hunting, is walking to my blind. Everything else is a crap shoot! Good luck man!

6. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been slow for me here. Shotgun season opens this Saturday so I might try to get out all day Friday and punch my bow tag yet. On the plus side of things I got the text last night that my muzzle loader buck mount is done! My guy did a month turn around, that's gotta be impossible right?? He does good work so I'm excited to get it back.

BigHoss likes this.
  7. pdun24

pdun24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone been hunting? I went Friday morning and didn't see a thing. Rutting activity is starting to pick up from what I hear. (Seems to happen significantly later down south) I will have 2 weeks for Christmas break to hunt starting Friday. Hopefully they will be in full swing by then. Would love to hear some updates from you guys! I saw Fitz update on BHOD.

8. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    No update here. My season has been over for quite a while. Sounds like some seasons are still open so best of luck to those still hunting!

9. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went out for the last time on Saturday. It was nice weather for sitting but not near cold enough to get the deer moving. The few deer that came into the field were pushed back in by the geese. Too much noise and commotion. I possibly could sneak out Christmas Eve but without a good reason I probably won't Good season guys!! It's been fun!

10. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer to hear Hoss but hey, turkey season will be here before we know it hopefully! Great being teammates again and best of luck to ya this spring!

11. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm already getting excited about turkey season! It's time to put my mouth calls in the truck so I can practice while driving to work.

12. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya! I can't wait either although I'd like to find another property or two to hunt turkey this year. The current one I'm on is good but the owner will let anyone who asks hunt there and it's getting a bit crowded.

I'm really excited this year because my buddy and his son just got their hunting licenses. So I get to take him and his son out a weekend early for the youth weekend. Should be fun!

13. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds awesome. I'm looking at flocking my strutter decoy. I have real wings and a fan on it but a little more never hurts. Also repainting the head. It's a Primos and the head is white. It needs more red on it to fire them up. Nothing more frustrating than to finally have birds come in and then ignore your decoys.

14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well my season is over... and it was rough. Long story short, I shot two does in the last week and a half of the season.

One here:

[​IMG]

And one here:

[​IMG]

... both are still alive today. I was completely dumbfounded by both shots. The first was high because she dropped over 16", and the second I though I center punched her heart. Both arrows flew true and there isn't really anything I'd change about the hunts. Sometimes, I guess, you just get on the bad side of luck.

So now I'm licking my wounds (just like those does) and looking to next season.