TEAM 14 - Game of Bones

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by Fitz, Aug 14, 2017.

1. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted ladder stand in the corner of this field this afternoon until dark “he was a no show”. couple of small bucks and five or six does in the field. Still great times.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. cdm369

cdm369 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well tracked her for about 200 yards. Had some good spots of blood loss, then dried up, then spurts again. I think that arrow is preventing good blood flow and when she fills up it gushes out. We lost blood a little over 200 yards, batteries in flashlight got low, and our marking material (toilet paper) ran out. Going to search at first daylight tomorrow.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

3. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at it you'll find her!

4. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pa. 9 pt down and recovered more to follow I’m crazy excited and great full. [​IMG]

5. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first buck with a bow, Nov 9th 2017. In ladder stand 6:00 Am using Doe decoy on radish/ turnip food plot. It is really foggy only about 15-20 visibility and 34 deg. 6:50 am daylight and better visibility about 40 yards. I hear a grunt low and really soft out in the fog, so I grunt back twice. About 30 seconds or 1 minute later I hear thump thump thump and there he is on the food plot acting like he owns the place. He stomps straight up to the decoy and sticks his nose under her tail. He seems disappointed that she is not soft and warm so he walks around her a little eating radish tops. There is a locus tree in between me and the decoy and the buck. I had time to take my bow off the hook and get my release on. I’m standing waiting and waiting. He came to my left at 15 yards I go to full draw forever but he never clears the tree. ( he actually looks up at me at full draw) He turns to my right back to the decoy. He eats and checks the decoy forever. Then he starts to the right and looking like he is going to clear the tree at 30 yards ( ranged a rock earlier). He stops just clear of the branches. It’s still foggy I am on his shoulder with lights lit on my spot hog hunter. It is hard to tell but I let it fly. It sounds like I hit shoulder but I’m not sure. He wheels around and blasts down through the woods. I hear a lot of thrashing then quiet. The branch’s in the locus tree are moving so I think I hit them. Up until now I’m pretty calm , I start shaking what a rush. I catch my breath and radio my brother in law and uncle Rich. They tell me to stay in the stand for a few minutes( so I don’t fall getting down) then go check the arrow or see if I can find the arrow. I found the arrow exactly where I shot it has bright red bubbly blood. The shakes start all over again, while I’m trying to radio the guys. I can hardly talk. They tell me hang tight they will be there shortly. My dad, my uncle Rich and my brother in law Mark come from there stands in less than an hour. Very little blood at first but within 20 yards it’s easy to follow. 50-60 yards later we find my first buck with a bow. I break down in tears. Hugs and congrats from my people. 175-180 lb 9 pt Pa. buck. I am proud , great-full, happy and sad for the loss of a beautiful animal all at the same time. My dad should get outfitter of the year and Dad of the century award, brother in law gets best hunting buddy of the year award, uncle Rich has always been my big brother. Best day ever for me. PRICLESS!! BOW HUNT OR DIE!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hillbilly Jedi, Fitz and Garet like this.
  6. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    By the way brother in law shot a hog Pa 10 pt 190 lbs today at 3:45 pm. Two awesome bucks same property ( Dad property manager out fitter of the year) [​IMG]
    Another whole story gotta love it BHOD!!!!

Garet likes this.
  7. cdm369

cdm369 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good job Johnny!

JohnnyD likes this.
  8. cdm369

cdm369 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Back home from my Missouri hunting. We found my doe the next morning laying down in a lane, then she got up and trotted off with a limp - busted arrow in upper aft side of shoulder. No blood where she was laying. Bummer...lost deer. Doubt she'll survive that embedded broadhead. I regret using my Dad's mechanical head, instead of my fixed. Anyway, had a lot of fun in one week. Glad to come away with a buck. Used my last 3 mornings, trying to bag a turkey with the bow in a pop-up. Heard'em, never saw them. I'm going to try to find a place to hunt near me before the end of the season, so we can get another 50pts.

9. pdun24

pdun24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just got out of class and am headed home to get out for an afternoon sit. Finally got some cooler temps. Should be around 51 this afternoon which is wayyyyyy better than the 82 I️ sat in last weekend. Hopefully I️ can have some of the same luck that you guys have had.
    Congrats on the great deer guys!

JohnnyD likes this.
  10. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Still here, on my way out tonight I went to the swamp stand I have only hunted once. Pulled camera card, put my worst camera out there...wish I had not done that. Since September 25th it appears several good bucks are moving out of the swamp. Got some good pictures, this picture is of a Buck I call " Splinter", tall 4 by 5. Come through Sept. 28th and has been through every 2nd or 3rd day since, last time he came through was Nov. 8th. Best picture I have of him the other are blurry "hence the worst camera comment above".

Anyways, give you one guess where I will be at O Dark 30 in the morning?))

WGI_0055.JPG

Dave

Hillbilly Jedi and Fitz like this.
  11. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been out most mornings. Seen some deer, but all the bucks have been young. Still waiting to see some chasing around here?

12. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Having dinner out with family last night. Back too Ca. In the morning. Great bow season in Pa.

Hillbilly Jedi likes this.
  13. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Doe posted to the scorecard

Hillbilly Jedi and Garet like this.
  14. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well gents even though deer season is over for me, fall turkey season has opened. Put down a nice hen yesterday. Have only seen 5 toms on the camera so trying to save them for the spring since there are at least 30 hens running around.

Keep putting the bucks down! Looks like everyone's season is in full gear! Best of luck to everyone, congrats on all the kills so far and keep it up!

JohnnyD likes this.
  15. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fitz- Is there something you would like to share with us?

BigHoss likes this.
  16. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  17. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Holy crap I hope so! Fitz, just tell us you shot a buck. We'll wait for the show for details! We don't even need to know if it's Walter or not!

18. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ha, sorry guys! My lake is froze over already :tu:

Bloodcrick shot a beast of a buck. Scores in the 120s, but has Mass for days.

I've been hunting every morning and working on my in-laws house every afternoon. Been seeing a pile of deer, just no shooters. Seems as if I'm a better guide than hunter. My dad shot a buck on MN rifle opener (11-4), my buddy Nick arrowed a doe than night that I tracked for over a mile before she jumped in the lake, my brother shot one of our hitlisters Saturday, and my father in-law shot a doe Monday afternoon. Shoot, I've spent half my time dragging other people's deer :busted:

Here's my brother's rifle buck.

[​IMG]

Truth be told I'm exhausted, getting up every AM to hunt and then working until 5 or 7. I also feel like I've hardly seen my wife and son.

Tomorrow I head to WI for the rifle season there. I'm hoping to fill the freezer with a doe or buck of any size with my rifle. Then I'll be back here for Thanksgiving and back to bowhunting the last week of November. One December hits, I'll be looking to shoot a doe most likely. But, with only one tag, that'll burn my buck chance as well.

Garet likes this.
  19. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a nerdy stats kinda guy. I keep an excel Journal of every hunt. Have been since 2009. Here's a little comparison of my season thus far to other's in the past...

[​IMG]

cdm369 and Garet like this.
  20. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow I might be copying your format! Love stats, useful or not, I find them intriguing.