TEAM 14 - Game of Bones

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by Fitz, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I don't know if my luck is changing or I'm learning. I don't really have a pattern but I'm starting to get a little better intel on a few bucks. This guy stopped by again this morning and I have another pic of him coming onto the property about 45 minutes after dark 3 nights ago. I wish I had 6 more cameras and could be in 2 places at once.
    No name 2.JPG
    On my way out from hunting last night, I ran into 2 bucks, almost literally. They were walking the road towards me and I startled them about 50 yards away. Wind was in my face so that was good and they didn't know what I was. They spooked at first but settled down quick and just slowly walked away. There was barely enough light left to watch them with binoculars for about 1 minute. I could see one was better than the other and wider but that was it. Couldn't count points or get a good enough look to see exactly which bucks they were.

But looks like a cold front coming through last half of this week. I'll be out there every day I can until it ends on 10/29. Best of luck to everyone else!!

Garet likes this.
  2. cdm369

cdm369 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's showing we only have 50 points. Is that right? 2-1/2 weeks away from my hunting season starting. I certainly hope I can at least add another 50.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

3. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here 2 1/2 weeks, hopefully be in the woods for afternoon hunt on Nov 2nd.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. pdun24

pdun24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a great sit tonight. I saw 13 deer. Just got out. Had a couple bucks come in right at dark. It was too dark to tell anything specific about them. First good action of the year for me. Hopefully I can get something down tomorrow.

Hillbilly Jedi likes this.
  5. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    WGI_0047.JPG This guy showed up last week. Took this pic Sunday night when I wasn't out. Sadly he didn't show up last night when I was out. It's early muzzle loader season until the 22nd yet. Hoping to get a chance at him yet. Can't make out much of his rack but his neck is the definition of swoll.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    JohnnyD likes this.
  6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a nice one Garet!

7. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Question for you guys. It's early muzzle loader season here until the 22nd. I've been desperately trying to get on a buck but keep just missing out on them. Last night I was busted by what I think was a doe. I showered before hand and was completely sprayed down. The entrance to my stand is through thick trees and bushes and really well concealed. She came in through the thick of it all just fine until she got to my entrance lane. She stomped once and then shortly after snorted and took off, stopped 30 yards and snorted again and then gone. I only ever saw her legs underneath the tree tops from my view but I hardly think she ever saw me. Mind you she was up wind of me the entire time.
    My question is do I go back there again? I don't have many locations and this is the only one picking up pics of bucks. I'm getting strapped for time and maybe even a little bit desperate. Thoughts?

8. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    BB.jpg Hopefully this paints a good picture for you guys. You can see where I walk in and then I pass through the thicker timber and come up right behind my Stand (TS2) Just north of my trail camera (TC) is where I get all of the good pics as they travel both SE and NW in the evenings. There is still corn in to the left but I suspect that could be coming out any day now.

9. pdun24

pdun24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Give it a break for a couple days then go back. I know you might be limited, but try to enter the stand from an area where the deer won’t be. The biggest risk of being winded is the area where you actually walk. Walk where they won’t be.

10. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's just it, I thought I was doing that. Honestly there are deer bedding both north and south of the stand. I knew it was a possibility a deer would walk behind my stand like that, but from earlier trail cam homework they travel in front of my stand far more often. Not to mention that it was a NW wind last night so my scent should have blown away from where that deer was traveling. I know there's not one fix all answer but I appreciate any and all advice.

11. pdun24

pdun24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't be too concerned with one deer blowing at you. I think you'll be okay going back.

Garet likes this.
  12. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think that's what I needed to hear :bash:

BigHoss likes this.
  13. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Garret you ever hunt that timber you are walking through to get to the field edge stand? That looks like a perfect funnel point between the two large patches of hardwood.

14. NYMark

NYMark Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldnt be concerned Garet. Deer blow and stomp at alot of things other than us even each other.She may of known something was not right but she will settle down and as for the other deer in the area they have no clue what she was blowing at.

Garet likes this.
  15. NYMark

NYMark Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been out a few times havent seen much. Seems like the weather is perfect all week then the weekend comes with a heat wave.

16. cdm369

cdm369 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nice map...yeah, I wouldn't be too concerned with the response of one deer. I've seen them do that, then come back a couple hours later. Deer can do some strange things. Kind of like humans I guess :O) However, you can never go wrong with Scent Crusher & DDW.

Garet likes this.
  17. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately I don't have permission to hunt that ground.

18. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So in case you guys were wondering the correct answer to the equation was :field edges :woot:. Sat in TS1 last night and watched a nice buck follow the field edge from the SW. Presented a 150 yard shot for all of 2 seconds :biggun:. Twas barely enough time to range him and then he hopped back in the corn and walked the rows all of the way past me. :sad: Such is life....

JohnnyD and BigHoss like this.
  19. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My dad hunted Senior hunt yesterday saw nothing but chipmunks. 52 deg low 75 high Breezy to gusty winds. That’s why they call it Hunting! Hopefully cooling in next two weeks.

20. w1ckstar

w1ckstar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Got another doe this morning on a low impact stand, rut is starting to heat up!