Team 14 - Field of Beams

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by beavertronic, Aug 28, 2022.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It’s actually Going full body !! I have spot waiting for him!

wibowhntr likes this.
  2. fshafly2

fshafly2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I took another doe this morning and fixed her tenderloins tonight with bacon, onions, & morel 'shrooms (picked last spring). Life is good!
    -fsh

wibowhntr, mylsuhat, camo75 and 2 others like this.
  3. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have never been able to not eat all the mushrooms I find in the spring. Having some with backstraps sounds too good to be true. Congrats on the doe!

trial153 likes this.
  4. Agi Ambre

Agi Ambre Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome though. The coyote is a full body soft mount. https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRQr92wx/ I will be getting this mount for my first predator kill.
    It's my hope that some day, I will get the opportunities to hunt like this. To get out to other states, spend a week or more at a time, scouting, hiking, tracking. Make a fresh wild game stew with the meat of my labor. It took 40+ years to find that hunting and archery had it's place in my life. Right now though, I'm just hoping I don't have a 2 year "skunk" streak. 1 weekend left *fingers crossed*.

wibowhntr, camo75 and trial153 like this.
  5. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Today been the best morning in NY any far. Seen five bucks so far. A mature 7 that I passed on the other day, a 9 point that is obviously 2.5 and then a 3.5 year old 8 with short tines. A forky and spike. I am
    Way under dressed today..cold and wet.
    No idea what I was thinking passing the 8 point at 20 yards. The nine was an easy pass.
    Guess I am holding out for Gus but it’s along shot…maybe that seven pointer comes by…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fshafly2, wibowhntr and mylsuhat like this.
  6. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Hard at work I see!

7. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Somebody has to do it!! Lol

camo75 likes this.
  8. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Today it’s been the place..6 bucks so far, does getting nudged all over. Just not the right one yet. Though I might be unrealistic in what I am hoping to hold out for. Season is done Friday

camo75 likes this.
  9. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Good time for hitting the horns together maybe??

10. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I rattled three into range today. Never passed up so many 3.5 year old bucks in NY in one day ever. I hope they make till next year but I doubt it . No one around me waits. If it has three on a side they shoot it

mylsuhat likes this.
  11. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Here is what I saw

~Fork point
    ~Spike
    ~7 pointer that looks to be 3.5 maybe 4.5 heavy rack, not wide, short tines, about to his ears, not big beams. Pass 33yards

~ 9 pointer, at his ears, no mass, fairly tall. Little body, 2.5. For sure. Pass at 20 yards

~8 pointer, 3.5 or 4.5, little wider then his ears, maybe 8-10 inch G2, no brow on his right side, 5 points on his left Decent mass Shooter. …no shot though

8 pointer, 3.5 , 100 inch frame… seen and passed him twice he was pushing a doe around. Passed at 20 and 25ish yards

8 pointer, 2.5 y/o little basket rack.

In retrospect I should have killed the 7 point, pass him twice now and I think I am being unrealistic at my chances of the one buck I am after. Down to 1.5 days left in this NY bow season

Agi Ambre, fshafly2 and mylsuhat like this.
  12. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    That’s a pretty good day. Whether you shot somthing or not I would take a hunt like that anytime. Good luck tomorrow.

trial153 likes this.
  13. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    No doubt about it.

14. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    As much as I wanted to hunt my hot powerline stand again this morning I am sitting someplace else. The wind is straight west this morning and I need some north for that stand. While I think I would be fine for the bucks I been seeing there I don’t think that old buck I am after would let me get away with it. I have a feeling he would scent check before he crossed out of the swamp into the powerline and wind me without me even knowing I was there.
    Anyway I moved to the north of my property to stand that sits on an east west edge where hemlocks meet open hardwoods, white oak and red oak. With a cross wind I can catch a buck traveling the edge looking for does or trailing one …like this one did in 2020[​IMG]

I am down to sitting a half a day this morning and hunting all day tomorrow. Then the dreaded NY regular season starts. I will have two weeks to kill before-ditching NY and heading to Illinois.

cls74, camo75, mylsuhat and 1 other person like this.
  15. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just remember that we all have our own goals and tag soup doesn't taste too bad

camo75 and trial153 like this.
  16. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Three does bedded 40 yards to my west. Hopefully a buck comes cruising by:

I made this scape the beginning of last season and it been used every since. I have a bunch or pictures with both does and bucks working the vine and the ground. I made two of these along the north side of the east west edge that runs though here . The other one never panned out. Now that I have this one established next mid sept I am going to add a horizontal rub with a white pine limb.
    Something to focus their attention and keep them on the edge within bow range.
    This stand currently is only good the first week of October, while the deer are cleaning up the white oak acorns and then it doest hunt well till about Halloween. I am hoping that the scrape and the horizontal run draw them closer to the edge staring a bit earlier. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wibowhntr, cls74 and camo75 like this.
  17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck on the all day sit tomorrow @trial153. You heading back to the same place in IL?

Sorry for the lack of activity on my part team. Promotion at work has really limited my activity on the site, by the time I get caught up with LFTS thread I have about an hour before hitting the sack.

I don't plan on not getting a deer this year, if 2 for a hundred is all I can muster so be it. Coworker on vacation until after this weekends shotgun opener, I'm sure he'll let me kill a deer or two at his place. Still have 2 months to get out, albeit limited.

wibowhntr likes this.
  18. fshafly2

fshafly2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I messed a chance on an EAB doe on the Navy Base the other day - she picked me off @15yds as I tried to get the scope on her before she got out of the lane. After that, I spotted a yote cruising the woods and tried to use my fawn bleat as a predator call - no dice...
    -fsh

wibowhntr likes this.
  19. Agi Ambre

Dislikes Received:
    I would love to sit through a day like that. I’ve been out at least 10 days so far and haven’t even seen a buck. Bumped some doe in September, nothing since. Every time I’m out, the wind is blowing west into known bedding.
    Got 14mph + winds. No sign of rut activity. No sign of other hunters today either.
    I don’t know what I was expecting with less than a 1% reported success rate. With these numbers the animal activists are going to try and claim deer are an endangered species, again.
    Fingers crossed I get at least a fork to walk by. I’d be ecstatic with just a walk by.

20. Agi Ambre

Dislikes Received:
    I said I’d be happy with a forky just walking by… well that turns out to be a lie. I was still hunting and got pretty near my my car so I picked up the pace a bit. Doe and buck were about 30 yards off. I missed the shot because I couldn’t make a full draw. I adjusted and the doe spotted me and the buck bolted leaving the doe in the dust. I went after them bumped them twice and broke them up. Should I return to the same spot tomorrow?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022