Team 14 - DoeThraki

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by sycamoretwitch, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be hunting HARD this weekend boys. Only coming out to eat/**** then reposition

In Venatione Veritas

2. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No hunt this evening too much work. Hunting in the morning and afternoon tomorrow. Anything Happy?

Sent from my Lone Wolf treestand using Bowhunting.com Forums

Brian Walters likes this.
  3. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry guys it was a no go last night. I’m up and ready to head out of town but what I really want to do is head back out to search some more. I know this stuff happens but why does it have to happen on a deer like this. I practice shooting and feel good about my skills but at the moment of truth it just hasn’t been panning out. I have always had a 40 yard max range but I’m going to rethink that and try to keep them under 30 seems like bad things happen outside of that even though I know I should be able to hit my mark.
    I appreciate all the encouragement. It’s nice knowing someone is rooting for me. I will look again on Sunday evening when I get back.
    Good news is I checked camera I put by scrapes during track and I’m gonna set stand there Sunday also. Bucks hammering it. All day every day this past week. Still 3 weeks left so still hope to fill tag but I feel I blew the one opportunity I had at a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Heckler likes this.
  4. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at it Happy. While I haven't sent an arrow down range yet this year, I feel like I've spent all the bad breaks and made all the bad decisions already this year, so good things almost have to be on the horizon.
    Tomorrow morning I'll be back out to the area where I was one week ago and I assume that the deer will still be on the same pattern. I'll adjust my setup and entry point so I'll be comfortable shooting a doe and still have projectiles for the buck that is on the prowl behind.
    I hope you get the closure you need tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Happy and Heckler like this.
  5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Trlblzr3 likes this.
  6. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m going out again this evening - will be on a doe mission! Doe have been hard to come by this season but if I can get one into bow range it’s getting an arrow.

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In the stand for an evening sit. Wind is not the best unless they come from the SE.
    Good Luck, everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heckler likes this.
  8. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    How did the hunts fare fellas? It's T-minus 6hrs and 40 mins till alarm bell for me. A slight adjustment in location from last Sunday and provided that the orange army didn't completely bugger the shot this morning and I'll be shooting a doe tomorrow between 7:30-8:00 a.m. Here's hoping everything goes to plan this week.

foodplot19, Happy and Heckler like this.
  9. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Zilch last night. I’m on the bench today. Rain and a chance of severe weather. No need to play with lightning.
    Good Luck, Tinker and everyone else that’s hunting today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Saw 6 deer. Nothing ever gave me a shot. Wind got a little swirly on me a couple times and it put a couple doe on notice something wasn’t right.

Rain here all day - also on the bench.

Likely try and hunt Mon-Wed evening. I head out of town Thursday-Sunday before hitting it hard.

11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had the best morning I have had this year. Passed on 6 doe total. Also a scrub 5 PT and a 110 with no brows. He was gorgeous for a 2.5 and I look forward to seeing what he becomes.

In Venatione Veritas

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rained here this morning and now the wind is blowing 25+ mph. Been out doing some battery maintenance on the cams, slung a little corn to get a new head count etc.... Going to do some work around the house today. Could sit down in the creek out of the wind if it would just change directions....

13. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    We slowed down a lot boys!!! It's about time to throw down in the Whitetail woods - how we looking over the next 2 weeks?!

It's going to be pretty windy here this evening... I think I am probably going to not hunt this evening. Hunt tomorrow morning, tomorrow evening and Wednesday evening. Then that will probably it for me this week. I am going to fit as many hunts in as I can.

14. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    It’s worth noting that of the 18 teams we are one of only 3 teams with 4 or more doe on the ground.

Obviously it’s going to take us putting down a couple slammers - but I’m really optimistic I can get a buck on the ground. My confidence in that is growing by the day! Let’s get it fellas

15. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    Man what a disappointment yesterday morning was while sitting in the tree. It was just quiet and more quiet. When I got out of the stand, however, I did a like slow hunting and sitting on my way out and discovered a new heavily used trail and a scrape that wasn't there two weeks ago, and it must have been freshened up within the last few hours of when I walked through as it was completely leaf-less, and the leaves are really raining down currently. I'm fairly excited for Thursday morning. There are several good tree options within ready short range of it as well. I'm going to shoot virtually anything that walks by!

foodplot19 likes this.
  16. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    The only down side is that I have no camera data of this spot, so I have no idea what kind of buck started it or hitting it.

17. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be out wed Thurs and Friday night.

In Venatione Veritas

Heckler likes this.
  18. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m going to be out again Wednesday and Thursday. Tomorrow is supposed to be a complete washout , rain starting in about an hour from now and supposed to last through tomorrow evening. I’m hoping that will wash some of my scent away from searching for the one that got away. Still bugs me!!! He should be in the freezer!!!
    Should be able to get out Saturday morning as well. I think I may sit the new stand I put up yesterday over the hot scrapes. I have to be somewhere at 5 on Saturday evening so I plan on parking my behind there until I have to leave. I’m feeling good about getting another crack here boys!! I need some redemption !!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

foodplot19 likes this.
  19. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's almost Halloween boys. Let's get some deer down by then!

In Venatione Veritas

foodplot19 likes this.
  20. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with ya twitch. I can get one down if I can find time to get away from hockey long enough to hunt. I have several days of vacation btw now and Thanksgiving. I'm going to try and hang a stand at a new place Thursday depending on how hard it's raining.

sycamoretwitch likes this.