Team 13 **Tall Tines & Naughty Pines**

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by Swamp Stalker, Aug 18, 2014.

1. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If that happens I'm moving to Texas ha

2. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Schuls that's awesome! And you were looks like that move is really paying off.

3. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Advise?
    My best buck on camera busted me at 16 yards last sunday. I didn't ave my bow in my hand and had a stare down, he won. This was the morning hunt. He is still in his routine, he follows the same path morning and night the past week, including today. I haven't hunted since last sunday. Tonight was my first time back in that stand and was expecting him right before dark. Sure enough, with half hour of light left, I hear him coming. I had the opportunity to get all set before even seeing him. He followed the same path I walked in on along with dragging my Tinks drag, with his nose to the ground. I purposely walked a small loop in front of my stand in case he came in silent so I would see movement and have time to get ready. He followed it to a T. He stopped 4 steps from walking into my clear shooting lane. He hung up there bobbing his head for 3-4 minutes. During this time he looked at me 3 times. I know for fact I was still as could be, as I had at least 7-8 minutes warning. He was behind a large brush tree. After looking at me and posturing, he walked off the other way. This was the same tree he busted me in last sunday. Do you think they remember the spot and equate it to danger? The wind was in my face and he followed my walk in trail so my scent on the ground didn't bother him until 14 yards from my stand. It was the perfect stand for the wind and I was still as could be. My question is, do they remember when they've busted people? I have another stand about 75 yards up the trail closer to the bedding area I can try. I walk past it on the way to this stand.
    Last edited by kennyg; Today at 08:20 PM.

4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ya he's got you pegged!! he knows you are some type of danger that he should stay away from. I would definately give the other stand a try if he's never seen you in it before (that you know of). I would also go to the extreme of your normal walk in to your other stand so he thinks he's got you, then backtrack to your other stand.

5. BowhuntMN

BowhuntMN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Atta boy

6. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Kenny, Joe's idea may work of double back on one entrance trail and into the stand to try and trick him. Good luck!

7. kennyg

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, now all I need is TIME! All bets are off after this coming weekend, bang bang!

8. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Or take a mobile setup (climber-easy to setup hang on) and setup 20-30 yards away from the tree he expects you to be in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. kennyg

Dislikes Received:
    There is a lack of good trees. It was once an old corn field, now overgrown with buckthorn. The larger trees are either huge or not good for a climber. I just started hunting this property this year and found this trail right before the rut. Next year I will have a couple extra stands set up for different winds. After xmas, I will pick up a few cheap hang ons, and a lonewolf with sticks.

10. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'm gonna make it out for a noon to dark hunt tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Schuls

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck tomorrow Joe! Thankfully my furniture finally gets delivered tomorrow, I've been on an air mattress with a sleeping bag since Oct 29th lol

12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you will have th choices of 2 beds in the near future ;)

13. Schuls

Dislikes Received:
    Nah Tony, not trying to get in her pants, and she has a 3 year old. I guess for once in my life I don't want to be that guy, and actually get to know her!

14. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome! Last time I.felt that way about a women I ended up making her my wife :)

She still makes me day dream about her after all these years :cool:

15. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Having been hunting much past two days even with not working. It's cold ha, I did decide to take down my stand I was seeing alot of action in and move it because buddy put cows in corn field it was on. I finally found a place go put it but it's not exactly the best spot but I'm hopeful. There a nice rub and a scrap pretty close to where I placed it bit with the base of the tree being in a hole compared to the field edge it's on I'm not very high off the ground so it may be hard not to draw attention if they come in close. Still gotta do some trimming and finish setting it up but the stand is hung and ready to go.

Here's the rub that's close by

[​IMG]

Don't know if I'll get out much before the weekend or not, gun season opens Friday and may just let everything settle down before the craziness starts.

16. Schuls

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a pretty decent size worked that tree over jrk!

17. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea think it might of been the one I had at 25 yards earlier and couldn't get a shot at. He's been hanging around but haven't seen him last lately. Also been sitting in different area though so it's not surprising.

18. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well looks like bow season is over for me. Saturday was rifle season for me so I put down the bow and took out the rifle. If i get a buck this weekend, then ill probably start bow hunting again. I witnessed a lot of does acting nervous Sunday and even a half racked 8 point chasing a deer. Hopefully the chase will be on this weekend. Too bad I cant hunt during the week because I know its going to be happening. Hopefully you guys have better luck then I have been having but at the same time this is the best day rifle hunting I have had in 2 years.

19. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Well tomorrow is opening day for gun season. So won't be hitting the woods with a bow bit I'll be out with my 12 gauge. Haven't actually been out alot lately with the cold so not sure how the deer are still moving bit this weekend will tell me a lot.

I'm beginning to think I may have missed my chance this year for a buck earlier when had a nice one at 25 yards. Will just haveta wait and see though, there's gonna be alot of food around on the farm this year so maybe late season will produce something. Either way it's been a good season so far.

20. kennyg

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, same here. The trail cams went all nocturnal after the guns started last year. I just checked my cam today from the past week and went from 150 pics a week down to 40, only 3 different deer. And all at night to top it off. Looks like the cold is here to stay too. At least were I go up north to gun hunt my dad has had a nice 10 on his cam the past few days. Something to look forward to.