Team 13 Reasons Why

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Swamp Stalker, Aug 13, 2018.

1. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get those two pictures up on the scorecard with some measurements!

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  2. IAwhitetails

IAwhitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job !! We’re on the board! - I’m hoping to go out tomorrow but we’ll see what the rain looks like.

3. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! You'll need 2 pics of you and the bow for the scorecard. And there is no replacing a deer...your first buck is the one that counts.

4. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's an awesome buck Lovehunt!! Congrats big time buddy! :tu:

5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not seeing the numbers of deer I've saw last year. Last Sat was a total bust. Not sure why...only thing I can reckon is there is so much water, despite the heat, from the prior hurricane...and another coming through over the next couple days.

I did scout a ridge on the way out and may try that area. A lot of sign near the military crest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Congrats!

7. beavertronic

Dislikes Received:
    Now I know how you folks in the Southeast feel. So humid this morning and 70+ degrees. I'll take 40 any day!

8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And it's delightful (NOT!) when it's 90 and near 100% humid like the past couple weeks.

Cloud cover has moved in now pre-Michael and is looking superb, for Fri & Sat.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

9. wi p&y

wi p&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was at my iowa lease this weekend. Bunch of young 140 deer. Only 1 I'm kinda interested in but I will be iowa from Oct 26 through Nov 14. So if nothing shows in there I will go in after him. Set up very good on him just holding for something a little bigger still.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

IAwhitetails and Swamp Stalker like this.
  10. beavertronic

Dislikes Received:
    So I took off work this morning to hunt a new spot I had all picked out in my urban area (everyone is given a general area so as not to overcrowd certain places.) Tree was all picked and everything, or so I thought. Get to the tree that I was planning on hooking my climbing stand to and it was just a hair too small! Looked around for a different tree but everything had branches too low or was growing sideways.

Ruined my morning marching back up the side of the drainage ditch and over to the spot/tree that I have been using. Finally got my stand up the tree, covered in sweat, and had only had a lone mosquito that flew into my open mouth for breakfast. Needless to say, was 30 minutes later than I had planned on being up the tree and I was fairly certain I lost 20lbs in sweat. Rough morning...but I hunted, unsuccessfully. Then had to go home to shower again so I could go to work.

Lovehunt11 likes this.
  11. Lovehunt11

Lovehunt11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I resubmit my scores buck, first I submitted net score. Actually his gross score is 154
    I may try get out one morning to shoot couple does before my family vacation October 19.
    There are couple bigger bucks walked by tree stand I shot
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IAwhitetails and wl704 like this.
  12. sgcableguy

sgcableguy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been on thsi thread in a while. Nice buck Lovehunt! I would take that deer anyday!
    Congrats!!!

Lovehunt11 likes this.
  13. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Hello boys!!

I've been battling a nasty cold most of the week, spent the past to days in bed so i can make it out this weekend! PRIORITIES!! I think I'm going to switch it up a bit and just go out in the afternoon so I can get some extra rest. Good luck everyone!

Lovehunt11 likes this.
  14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Get well Joe.

Gonna sit a ridge line tomorrow morning. Lots of sign and looks to be nearby bedding...

15. beavertronic

Dislikes Received:
    Set up on the edge of a decent trail in the northwoods tonight. Hoping to see anything tonight.

16. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing tonight, but a great sit. It was really refreshing NOT having to wake up at 230 to go hunting. Nice change of pace. I think I'll just be doing afternoon sits until the rut!

17. Lovehunt11

Dislikes Received:
    My plan wanted shoot 2 does yesterday but it didn’t work as my plan. I hunted until 9:00pm. All deer smells me and ran other way. First 3 does smell and ran yo left of me, 3 other does on right of me I ranged 50 yards they ran before I drawn my bow. 4 other about 100 yards away. I may try one more morning before I take vacation next on next Friday

18. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So last week, I sat on the ridge line due to all the rain in NC. I didn't see squat (other than squirrels). I do know the bucks run this ridge. On the way to the ridge 2.5 miles, my head lamp died about 1 mile in on the trail. Fortunately the next mile was an overgrown 2 track trail, and I was able to more or less navigate the trail by following the tree line as there was some light clouds that were lighter than the tree shadows. This plan broke down when the trail was flooded (about half the time I caught a glint of reflection from the water...the other half of the time a 'surprise'. The other unpleasant surprise running into blow down from the hurricane (yes, in the dark). The last half mile was navigation to a way point, by cell phone...which sucked because the Ridgeline was in fact "C" shaped....and littered with...more blow down.

I did get the stand hung, reasonably quietly...but to no luck. To avoid the dead headlamp replay, I bailed around 5pm...too be out by dark...and missing any evening traffic on the ridge.

But, after climbing down from and pulling the stand I did find a VERY close by (like 15 yds from where I hung my stand) a VERY fresh scrape. I suspect it was refreshed probably just before I had hung my stand.

I'm flying back from ORD tomorrow and thinking of trying to make a quick sit Fri evening...and possibly leaving the stand overnight for a Sat sit. If I'm lucky Fri, it will be a suck fest 2 mile hike with a deer likely over the shoulders... and leaving the stand. Unlucky and it's a quieter Sat morning entry...

So that's the thinking...

19. Lovehunt11

Dislikes Received:
    No time to get out, I am on Denver airport are waiting for next flight to Tokyo

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  20. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out today! Morning hunt, nap, afternoon hunt