*****Team 12- Top Pin Terrors*****

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by Tyler Durden, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I was about a yard and 2 steps away from putting some more antler points on the board for us. I knew tonight would be an excellent night to be out. I got in the woods early and did some scouting before choosing to hunt near a bedding area with a nice scrape and rub line leading to and from it. I wasnt in the stand for more than a half hour when I heard a crash to my right. Four deer came charging up the hill about 80 yards to the right of me, it was a buck chasing a doe, followed by a tiny fawn, and a spike. I decided to hit the grunt tube to see if I could get him away from the doe. I ended up calling in the spike to within 5 yards of my tree. The buck was a nice 8 pointer, not wide but tall and heavy. My guess is that he would have scored in the 105 range. I would have been proud to call him my first buck with a bow.

Rewind an hour: I was standing at a stone wall deciding between 3 trees, two of which had some nice cover, and were in the "general area" of the buck trail I wanted to hunt, and the other (the one I chose) had less cover, but was in the perfect spot to hunt this trail. I opted for the one with less cover but had the perfect wind and was only 30 yards from the closest scrape.

It turned out that had I been in either of the two trees I thought about climbing, I would have had an easy 15 yard shot at the buck, but instead, he came within 28 yards of my tree, and was only about a yard and two steps away from getting an arrow sent through his lungs. He never stepped out into a shooting lane, and then ended up chasing the doe further and further from me. Had I decided to shoot any of the other deer, I would have had a clear shot at the doe at 22 yards, a clear shot at the fawn at 10 yards, and that spike at 5, all but the buck.

2. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man. What a story and crazy hunt bro. Shame he didn't take those next 2 steps to a clear shot. I'm pretty bummed about this weather that's hitting us tomorrow.

3. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Close one Mike, you'll get em.
    I think some deer are gonna drop this weekend, maybe this crazy lull that's been hanging around will finally come to an end!

4. Don't Poke the Bear

Dislikes Received:
    Remy, if you can, hunt saturday morning, just after the storm blows through. I think saturday morning may be pretty active as well. Fred, I think you're right. I havent seen a single buck from the stand until tonight, I'm hoping tonight was some sort of indication that the flood gates are opening

5. dsauer22

dsauer22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys...got a call from a friend yesterday. He got access to a farm in the neighboring county, so we're off to check it out in the am. Hopefully this will give my season a kick-start. The farmer told him that 5 decent buck have been spotted recently near the farm....so we'll see.

6. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah Mike I definitely plan on being out Sat morning. I Alison think it will be good morning because all these deer will be bedded down through this, practically hurricane, weather coming through today.

7. Don't Poke the Bear

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I think you're right, 40 mph winds would definitely make me bed down if I were a deer. Then its supposed to calm right down to 4mph winds by 3am

8. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah they'll be hunkered down in the(Forest Gump voice) "sideways rain"...

9. m3shadle

m3shadle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Close call Mike! I myself had a great encounter last night. I had an awesome 8 pt show up out of the blue. Sneaky rascal. tall main beams with good mass. Couldn't pull the trigger though when he stood @ 30 yrds.

You guys are probably wishing you had someone else on your team that wasn't gun shy. :confused:

Oh well. I did get a decent short clip of him that I will share if I ever figure out how to convert my video file to a format that is American. :D

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

10. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    About to hit the road and get up my tree. Gonna have to leave the phone in the truck to charge. Planning an all day sit but hopefully I'm climbing down not long after daybreak. Good luck to those getting out today. Be safe.

11. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Goodluck everyone, I'll be heading out soon here as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Decided that half battery life was good enough to bring my phone with. I'm up and all set just waiting for shooting light and the deer to cooperate.

13. ISiman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I'm all set up waiting for light, my brother saw one of our target bucks crossing the road last night. Hopefully he decided to come past my stand this morning! Hoping not to get hit by the rain to hard either.

14. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Have had almost an hour of light and nothing showing up but squirrels so far.

15. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Still nothing following the script.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Debating on moving to another spot and throwing out some wicks with some estrus on them for this evening.

17. Don't Poke the Bear

Dislikes Received:
    Remy I had the same hunt this morning. Not even a tail flick off in the distance, it was dead

18. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah not even a tail flicker here either Mike. I expected more movement after the weather that hit us yesterday.

19. ISiman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I watched a small bodied buck rub a tree down in front of me this morning before it got light out. Hunting in the rain right now, hopefully the deer gods reward me for getting wet.

20. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be living through you guys this weekend, stayed home. Felt real nice to sleep til noon, and chill all day ;)
    From what I'm seeing, the lull isn't over yet. It's really weird what is going on, and it appears to be pretty much everywhere!
    Good luck all!