Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Team 12 - Poor Men South Of Portland

Discussion in '2023 Deer Contest' started by NebMo Hunter, Aug 28, 2023.

1. Mbcoyote

Mbcoyote Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Slow for me this week. My target buck showed up only once, in the morning 2 days ago. Been pretty warm the last 3 days as well.

2. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will be in Columbia, sc working with F-16s from Shaw dropping bombs and doing CAS training this week. In two weeks I will be going to Missouri for the weekend and should get to hunt 1 or 2 sits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C Ethridge likes this.
  3. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

This is always something I think about when I decide to let an arrow fly because I do all of my own processing. If I shoot a deer on a Sunday night, it will set me back hours from getting home and I have to process it during the week when I have work and after school activities for the kids.

C Ethridge likes this.
  4. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Who’s out today?

5. whitetailjunky3

whitetailjunky3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I was trail cams are going crazy this morning. I still have a week to go before season opens.

Wedes likes this.
  6. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That’s good to hear. Hopefully weather cooperates for you next weekend. I’m hoping to be out in two weekends in Missouri for one or two sits. I only expect does at that spot but ya never know. I have seen a good buck this summer there and I killed an old brawler of a buck there a few years ago

7. Mbcoyote

Mbcoyote Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was out today. Cell cam showed a lot of activity this morning as well. My target buck came by this morning, yesterday evening and morning. I sat today he was a no show. I did see 3 deer. No bucks. 1 doe in bow range 15 yards. Figures. I had high hopes tonight

Wedes likes this.
  8. Mbcoyote

Mbcoyote Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm back at it. Screwed it up this morning. Set alarm got everything ready. Alarm went off I switched it off out of habit. Overslept and he was here at 8:48 am. Been kicking myself in the nuts all day...:bigcry:

Wedes likes this.
  9. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had Friday off and played in a golf scramble.
    I played pretty good, was a lot of fun.

We've got highs around 90 this weekend and I'm just done with this weather, but by the 9th there is a high of 68.
    Going to go over the calendar with the Mrs. this week and try to play some time in October to head down to Cabin to hunt.
    Historically I've done a lot of things like.... Take a Friday off, put the kids to bed Thursday night and then leave get to cabin late wake up and hunt.
    I don't know that I'll be able to do a full week of "deer camp" but will probably be able to do multiple 2 day camps

P&YChaser and Wedes like this.
  10. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well our work trip ended early because air fell out for maintenance. I’m heading back to New Mexico tonight. Hopefully a week and a half and I will be in a stand with my bow.

11. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I went out to hunt this evening and found that 4 different treestands have been stolen. 2 summit climbers and 2 lone wolf hang-ons along with their tree ladders. Add that to the summit climber I had stolen last December and that’s over 2k worth of tree stands I’ve had stolen of this property. I’m so goddam furious. I am hunting private land and prior to last year I’ve never had a tree stand stolen. I even had the 2 climbers that just got stolen locked to the tree with steel cables and a lock since I didn’t lock up the one that got stolen last year. I honestly might have to call it a season. There aren’t that many good spots to hang a stand and whoever stole them already knows about 5 of my spots and they’ve proven themselves capable of taking down a hang-on and they’ve got the tools to cut locks off so if I put another stand in those areas I might as well be giving it away. Who the **** does that ****.

12. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dude that sucks

13. Mbcoyote

Mbcoyote Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's crazy. In a bad way. They also seem to know the property and what's going on on it. Time to chat with the landowner...anyone else have permission there? Is it family land?

Also I'm looking over a water hole tonight. Hopefully I can pull off a Dean Kruger.

P&YChaser and Wedes like this.
  14. C Ethridge

C Ethridge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    People with no morals do that. Just a plain thief. You need to throw up another stand quickly in plain sight and put a camera on it and hide it well. Make sure the camera is a cell camera so you can see them at the time it happens and have the camera taking video. You may have a shot at catching them. Always make sure to put your name on the stand somewhere that is not noticeable. DONT LET THEM WIN.

JeffC likes this.
  15. NebMo Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    thats rough, I've never experienced anything like that.
    Any chance you could hide was trail cameras and try to get some pictures of them?
    If you had a couple climbing sticks you could put the camera up like 15ft and try to hide it where it could get pictures of them without them seeing.

I have some PTO in the books to go hunt the 26th 27th 28th
    calendar is so dang full, but I'll have opportunities if needed in Nov, Dec, and Jan

16. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    That is awful, hope you can catch them on camera. Maybe you can do some ground hunting like the Hunting Public boys. Maybe pick up a cheap ghillie suit to keep your season going.

17. whitetailjunky3

whitetailjunky3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are season kicks off Saturday. With the highs in the 80s I will probably hold off till the following weekend. First big front of October will move in 80s to 50s in two days. Should be good hunting.

Wedes and Blarney22 like this.
  18. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Same here in WI, 80's thru Thursday then drops down to the low 60's for the weekend.

19. NebMo Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had talked about a job change a bit ago.
    Well I was just (this morning) offered a different role within the same company - specifically being made for me, role isn't posted, and I didn't apply.
    I turned it down. It wasn't defined enough, I didn't see a clear vision, and it all felt very haphazard. I was also told I made too much for them to give me a pay bump with a move. Trust me, I don't make too much.....

With the reorg we are going through my new role (pretty much exactly my current role) starts in October.
    I don't think I'll have any work travel until Dec or after new year.

Change for change sake is not something I was looking for. I didn't ask them to do this role and I wasn't going to give up a good role with growth for an undefined, hastily thrown together, fix all the crap they have job.

Wedes likes this.
  20. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Let’s get on the board this weekend!!

It actually sounds like next weekend may be ours based on most guys will be out. I have an outside chance of getting out as well.