Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Team 12 - Poor Men South Of Portland

Discussion in '2023 Deer Contest' started by NebMo Hunter, Aug 28, 2023.

1. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Plain to see Plainsmen

great song by the way

Wedes likes this.
  2. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Or poor men south of portland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

opossumhunterNC likes this.
  3. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any of you guys have any good ones on camera yet? I'll try getting some posted tomorrow on here.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

4. whitetailjunky3

whitetailjunky3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    Here’s my #1 if he sticks around.

P&YChaser and illinibowhunter like this.
  5. NebMo Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a lot of 2 and 3 year old bucks on camera - I say that but in the last week my cell cameras have stopped transmitting.
    Either on Saturday morning or Monday I'm going to drive down to cabin and check cameras/batteries and swap out some SD cards.

Missouri season opens 9/15 but I won't be in stand until at least middle of October

illinibowhunter likes this.
  6. P&YChaser

P&YChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m heading up to the property this weekend and will be swapping cards and making last minute adjustments before the season starts in a couple weeks. If I have anything good, I’ll post it here.

NebMo Hunter likes this.
  7. C Ethridge

C Ethridge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in now. Sorry, I’m late. Learning the process as we go I guess .

opossumhunterNC and LittleChief like this.
  8. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You're not late at all. I only posted the teams Monday. :tu:

C Ethridge likes this.
  9. C Ethridge

Dislikes Received:
    How about “Love2hunt1” I came up with that a few years back and liked it

10. C Ethridge

Dislikes Received:

11. C Ethridge

Dislikes Received:
    How about “Love2hunt1” I came up with that a few years back and liked it

12. NebMo Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Entire Team is checked in now!

Couple Team Things we need to settle
    1. Try to be active - that can be anything "I'm going to hunt Texas next week on these dates"
    this gives everyone on the team the ability to kind of follow along. We all have different types of jobs that allow for different types of online activity but try to not stop posting until November if possible
    2. If possible give a recap of your hunts
    ie Saw 2 does at 9am, sat until 11:30 then nature called, got back in stand at 3pm - something for us to live vicariously though your hunt when we aren't hunting
    3. We need to agree on a team name, there are a couple suggestions put up in the thread already, pick from those, suggest new ones but if we got nothing we're "Team 12"
    4. We need a "captain" I don't really know what the roles are for that - but yea...

Other reminders, use the live from the stand thread when live in the stand
    TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR DEER KILLS - need at least 2 pictures with the deer, you and your bow
    I'm terrible at measuring deer, so when (knock on wood) I shoot a buck I'll be finding someone to confirm my measurements even if by video call.

Also, you can "follow" the team thread this will keep you notified for any new activity on the team thread. I have it set to notify me WITHOUT email. That way every time I sign on or come back to the page I see the notification that says someone posted on the team page.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
    P&YChaser and C Ethridge like this.
  13. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How about the Wall Hanger Hunters as a group name

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

14. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I posted this in the Smacktalk thread, but I'm going to post it in every team thread so no one misses it:

I want to take a minute and clarify a rule in the contest and emphasize the importance of getting your required two different photos with the buck, the bow and you in the pics for entry on the Official Scorecard. The rules read:

Scoring system will be as follows:

Each participant is allowed to enter ONE antlered deer as their “Buck Score”. This must be the FIRST antlered deer that you harvest during the season.

We had an instance last season where someone in the contest killed a buck but failed to get pictures of the buck. This not only resulted in the buck not being counted towards the team total (of course), but also prevented him from entering another buck killed later. ONLY the first buck you kill can be entered, so make sure you don't make the mistake of not getting TWO good pics that have you, the bow and the buck in them.

15. C Ethridge

Dislikes Received:
    So we are recording buck only kills correct ? I see about the two photos and the bow being in the picture. What else are we required to do? Do we need to weight it, do we need to record the weight on camera, do we need to measure and score the horns ? Just trying to get dialed in. I’m sure there are some official rules I’m over looking so sorry.

16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    You should go and read the Contest Rules post. It's in the top "sticky" section of the 2023 Deer Contest forum.

A quick answer to your question is that you can enter two deer. The first buck you kill has to be your buck score. Then you can enter a bonus deer for 50 additional points. The bonus deer can either be a buck or a doe. If you enter a buck as your bonus deer and it outscores your first buck, it still only counts as 50 points. If you kill a doe first you can enter the doe as your bonus deer for 50 points and still hunt for your buck, but you can't enter a second doe. I think that about sums it up.

C Ethridge likes this.
  17. Mbcoyote

Mbcoyote Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be good with any name we pick, but heres a few suggestions
    A Dozen Dirty Hunters (a feeble play on dirty dozen)
    Dead Bucks Chase No Tails
    (Play on Dead men tell no tales, with tail meaning, well, ahem and also a play on whitetail.)

18. C Ethridge

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks ! I will be caught up shortly.

LittleChief likes this.
  19. C Ethridge

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys my name is Curt Ethridge. I’m 54 and been hunting 44 of those years. I won the big doe contest for the south in 2021 on BHOD. I live in Alabama. We lease land Missouri ( Harrison County) which borders Iowa. We also lease land in Chilton County, Alabama. We have approximately 400 acres leased in Missouri ( 3 tracks of private land ) and about 500 acres of private land in Alabama ( 4 landowners) . I am married and have two sons. One is 12 and the other is 27! Yep! That is a challenge! Lol. I hunt every opportunity I get with a bow, crossbow and gun until the end of the season which fortunately in Alabama is not till February. Lucky I’m not divorced. Missouri is the focus though. We have the land and the opportunity for a giant there being just a hour away from Iowa. I just need the shot. I look forward to putting a big buck in the dirt this year with you guys and hopefully we can pull out a win! Last year we ( 3 of us ) had a great year in Missouri with a total of 5 deer at 57 total points and 1140 pounds of deer on the ground. It was a great year for us that I will never forget.
    My Dad has always been my hunting buddy and I’m blessed to have spent that time with him. I’m hoping he will be there again with us this year.
    I’m on the far left in the pic below and my father is beside me. The guy on the far right is my long time hunting buddy Kevin. He will put a buck in the dirt also. We grew up together and it’s in our blood.
    Every year is a challenge for my father and I know I will miss him if he is not able to make it this year. Always cherish the time you have with your loved ones. That time is gold. Let’s do it guys !! Let’s paint it red and win this ! IMG_0935.jpeg This year the crop is corn which may prove more challenging.Good luck to you all. Feel free to message me anytime !

LittleChief likes this.
  20. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    F**k yea! All signed up by day 4! That’s the sign of an active team. Gonna be a fun season.

I don’t have any on cams but I have laid eyes on a few good ones. I hunt a golf course which makes it real hard to get anything on a trail cam because your memory card gets full within a few days due to all the photos of greenskeepers, golf carts, and the occasional guy pissin in the bushes.

C Ethridge likes this.