Team 12 - Drop Tine Dozen

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by vermontwhitetail, Aug 26, 2019.

1. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're right! It took me about one minute to realize I was off course and was in for a rough time. At this point I picked up the pace, which was not helping me at all! I'm not used to being in unfamiliar surroundings, especially in the dark when you have no reference points. I'm good with sticking to my entry/exit trail because it's worn enough that I can follow it without a light. I must have taken my eyes off of it just long enough to get me off course. Using my light, this wouldn't have happened.

The woods I hunt consist of about 2000 acres, and there are a couple of gravel trails that run through it. But, if you don't cross one of them you could easily spend the night looking for a way out. I finally got the brilliant idea to use my Topo Maps app (could have also used Google Maps) to see where I was. I was amazed at how far off course I had gone! I had made a severe right turn and not even realized it, things looking the same like they were.

I found that using my flashlight was making it more difficult, because it only lights up the immediate area, nothing past that. Visibility was actually much better once my eyes were acclimated to the dark. Note to self, "use your light on the way out". :biggrin:

vermontwhitetail and Turro like this.
  2. P&YChaser

P&YChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well today starts a mini rutcation for me. Over the next 10 days I’ll be out hunting for 8 of them! Hoping the big boys start moving and start making mistakes. Good luck guys and I’ll try to post updates when I can.

3. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No luck last two nights. Last night tried near a doe bedding area to see if anything coming through. Five min sitting and a doe woke and walked about 80 yards out. Then right before last light some grunting and what sounded like some nice rubbing, couldn’t see, out of range. Tonight my rabbit friend and squirrels. A neighbor musta went through 200 rounds target shooting in last hour of light. Not a fan. Hopefully again tomorrow night. Rifle starts next Saturday, hope to not have to worry about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vermontwhitetail and early in like this.
  4. early in

Dislikes Received:
    What are the frigging odds? My exact hunting area was hit with that F2 Halloween tornado!! My woods are basically leveled, except for some smaller trees. Many very large 100+ year old oaks, tulips, and ashes were either busted up, or just uprooted. My hunting woods of 16 years are unrecognizable. I can't even locate my trail cams. I've only ever seen this stuff on TV!

Frankly, despite having all of next week off to hunt the rut, my hopes aren't high. Tomorrow I'll try to find a new spot to hunt the rut, but it won't be like hunting my familiar woods, where I had specific trees for stand sites with shooting lanes, ect. For me, deer hunting will never be the same.

5. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that early. That’s got to be a change. We had winds come through years back that were suspected to be tornado that we were on the edge of and that changed the landscape for a few miles. Buildings torn apart. A neighbors whole pine forest was destroyed. Not that old of trees but up to maybe 16” diameter. Hope not all is lost. I built a small log cabin from the trees down so wasn’t a completely bad thing. Something that destructive in an area like that is never an easy thing

6. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

7. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awful, sorry.

early in likes this.
  8. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow... Hate to hear this man - not good. I can’t imagine the disappointment and frustration.

On the positive - a story like that from someone dedicated to his craft will likely resonate with a caring landowner. Who knows - you might find yourself with access to a property you never thought possible?! Trying to find the positive in this will probably be tough.

At least you & your family are safe man!! Sorry for your bad luck on the land.

9. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks twitch. Honestly, disappointment and frustration is exactly what I'm feeling. Hopefully, I can find a spot/tree not too far from where I WAS hunting and still be in the game to kill one of the bucks I got on my trail cams. We'll see. I'll update later today.

10. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Turro, vermontwhitetail and early in like this.
  11. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, I'm back in the game! I found a new spot not very far (maybe 75yrds) from my original hunting spot. Right on the edge of the tornado damage. So, the bucks I have on my trail cams are a possibility! At 10:30AM I saw a smallish 8pt 25' from me while trimming my way in. I got a short video of him. This stand site is all ready for this coming week, and I can't be more excited!! What a difference a day can make.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  12. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear. Might even work out for a good thing. If it’s messed up and twisted up where it hit it might force them around through the new spot or funnel around the edge. Keep the positive perspective and get us a trophy pic in front of some blow down :)

13. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Turro, if I do kill a buck, I'll make it a point to get pics by a blow down. :tu:

I was thinking earlier, that with the thousands of broken and blown over trees, these deer are going to have access to the tender tops, with tasty buds, that they normally wouldn't. Maybe some good will come from the destruction.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  14. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looking forward to it :)
    That’s very true too. That edge of the mess should be a pretty hot spot. Definitely makes the best of a crappy situation.

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  15. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Super intellectual perspective here ^^ - they’re drawn to downed timber! I live in the woods and I will have deer come up and feed of limbs I put on a fire pit... I’m like ladies we got all this vegetation out here and you wanna come feed on my.... Nevermind. You get the point.

vermontwhitetail and Turro like this.
  16. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

This will resonate with you all I think.

So when I was younger I was pretty wraped up in sports - my dad never introduced me to deer hunting as he and mom were busy running me and my sister around to different sporting events - quite literally as my sister and I both ran Track D1. At any rate I missed out on the opportunity as a kid to hunt and as I grew older it ate at me.

Pictured above is me as a young kid, my uncle, my dad, my now deceased grandpa and his friend Bacon. You can’t believe none of them got me into deer hunting right?!?!

Somewhat full circle for me this week as my uncle is coming into town just got his first xbow a month or so ago as he got back into the saddle for the first time in 20 years. I’m going to put him on deer this coming weekend. It’s an incredibly cool opportunity for me - it should have played out the other way but God had a different glorious plan! Now I get to teach my uncle a little bit... He’s gonna be in the sauce it’s as simple as that.

Kfili, early in, Logman and 2 others like this.
  17. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That’s awesome. Good luck to him. Hope to hear a good story and see some pics from it. Pretty cool opportunity

18. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very cool story. Good luck to you and your uncle. Everything happens for a reason.

sycamoretwitch likes this.
  19. P&YChaser

P&YChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I came pretty close on a good buck last night. He was about 45 yards out but just wouldn’t leave the doe he was following and she didn’t come any closer. Nothing this morning, but I’m back out for tonight, hopefully they come a little bit closer this time!

20. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Real quick... Let us know what you got going on - it's the most wonderful time of the year... Other than Christmas!

1. Who's on vacation hunting this week?

2. Who is going to kill something this week?

3. What % chance do you give yourself?

4. How aggressive do you plan to be?