Team 12 - Beard Bandits

Discussion in '2014 Turkey Contest' started by IAMIKE, Mar 16, 2014.

1. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My season starts Wednesday. I'll be out in the morning and then some evenings after that during the week. I have all weekend to chase those critters as well but it looks like the weather on Wednesday will be the best all week.

2. WiRutJunkie

Dislikes Received:
    Roosted 4 toms 75 yards behind my blind tonight. got footage of them at 15 yards spitting, drumming and gobbling too as they walked by me. Should be a great hunt in the morning!

3. Grube

Grube Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hey good luck man!!

4. WiRutJunkie

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys...it was a rough opening day for me yesterday. I am still trying to figure out what went wrong. I had a strutting bird at 20 yards and made what felt and looked like a great Texas heart shot on him. He flipped over and then ran with his right wing dragging and then pitched off over the ravine behind me. Looked for two hours but no luck. My confidence is shot. That is the only thing I hate about bow hunting for turkey, the margin for error is so damn small. I had to go out today in the rain but this time I took my gun, I couldn't bring myself to take the bow with that shot still in my head. Things turned out ok I guess and I am pumped with the outcome but I need to get my head right before I take the bow back out in 2 weeks.[​IMG]

5. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! Looks like a nice bird. Sucks about the first one.

6. WiRutJunkie

Dislikes Received:
    I have two more tags or later seasons so I still plan on getting on the board with a bow! Plus there are still some bigger birds out there than that one! If you want to see the footage of this hunt the link is Rainy Day Gobblers! ? theJourney

7. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After this morning, I'm pretty sure that I have pissed God off in another life. . . . Story to come later, been up and at it since 3. Nap time.

8. Whitetailfreak52

Whitetailfreak52 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    anyone been out??? The weather here in nebraska is not very good for turkeys... feels more like deer hunting weather..

9. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I went out Saturday morning, got set up at like 4:45, this is land that we have never hunted before, but it was good land. We were allegedly the only ones out there. We sat in the blind until 5:30 when 2-3 toms started gobbling their heads off. They are about 200 yards away across an old logging road on a hill. We start working them around 6, they sound like they are getting closer, but we never see them. Long story short, after we work them for about an hour we have 5 hens in front of our blind, were thinking that surely a tom has to come over.

So its about 7:30 now, the hens have worked their way up the hill and we never had a tom come over at all. Were still working them they are gobbling, and we see a jake run up the hill towards where the toms went. Next thing we know 2 shotgun shots fire off, and then silence.

The previous tuesday I went out for a late morning hunt, worked a tom that was across the road, thinking i might have a chance to work him over my way. Same results, neighboring land owner hammers that tom too.

Been a son of a biscuit kind of season for me. But will continue to presss on i guess lol. its all i got till deer season.

10. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ill be back out this weekend. Last chance to get it done. Season ends here a week from today...

11. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    Had some hens come in to the decoys at daylight & mill around. Toms gobbling all around but they didn't come in. Gonna be 90 today in western OK. I guess I'll head out and see if I can find them loafing in the shade in the wind rows and sit the blind again tonight.

12. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    94 ain't turkey hunting temps... Ugh

13. WiRutJunkie

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Okie!

14. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    They are hunkered down somewhere but not near me... Hottest day of the year so far[​IMG]

15. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    Setup for the evening. The blast furnace is howling at 25mph+ & 95 degrees. I don't anticipate much action, but they might surprise me[​IMG]

16. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    Well I didn't get it done. No birds in the evening sit. I suspect the heat and wind had them off their routine. Season ends Wednesday but I won't have another opportunity to get out.

Good luck to the rest of you!