Team 11 - The Elite Eleven

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by soccerdan90, Aug 28, 2022.

1. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ***soccerdan90***
    ***SkylarPreston***
    ***DH Outdoorsman***
    ***ILbowhntr***
    ***Joe Soil***
    ***WakeCow***
    ***P&YChaser***
    ***Joe Bear***
    ***BuckHunterUnlimited***
    ***rbhunting1***
    ***sycamoretwitch***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2022
    MUDSHARK likes this.
  2. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I’m Daniel. Live in south central Iowa. I drove a semi for a lumber company and I am a sergeant in the Iowa National Guard. Excited to get this season started as last year was cut short due to my deployment. Didn’t start hunting till thanksgiving. Year before I tagged out on a gorgeous buck in Halloween so I can’t wait to get in the stand in November lol.

I’ve got some solid properties to hunt and my buddy and I planted a 6 acre soybean field that is currently still fenced off. Should make for some excellent late season hunting. Once my daughter tags out or youth season finishes up I will be hitting it hard. Gun seasons will be for my kids.

Few bucks I have on camera so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys - name is James most call me Twitch - abbreviated version of my last name.

I hunt 3 different parcels of land in Indiana. The first is an 80 acre lease with my buddy about 5 mins from my house. It’s seen better days and will likely never be the property it once was. A huge 600 acre mountain bike park borders my property and it’s really cut down on the amount of big buck traffic we use to see on this property. I’ve hung onto the least for the last 9 years or so but this might be the last year if we don’t see some big improvements.

Then I have another 80 acre private land spot in Parke County, IN. Hunted a 170” buck really hard last year but never saw him on stand unfortunately. I think he made it through the season bug haven’t seen him yet. This property is really solid - big woods and rolling hills. Kind of difficult to hunt and it’s a good 35 mins from my house.

I just got drawn on a brand new public land limited draw hunt (only 15 hunters) on some 500 acres… Only catch is you can only bow hunt, only hunt Friday or Saturday and no permanent stands. So pressure (from hunting) shouldn’t be an issue. It’s not open all other days because this is the first year it’s been open and it also has public trails throughout for hiking. The property hasn’t been legally hunted in over 50 years and has some giants.

I also have a 5 month old… My wife is pretty understanding and supportive of my hobbies (fishing, golfing and hunting) so we will see how much time on stand I get. I will probably hunt less in October than I ever have - I’m going to focus most of my time and efforts to Oct. 28-Nov. 12 to get it done.

4. Joe Soil

Joe Soil Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good to meet ya team! I am checking in from Western Kentucky. This is my first fall being here after moving from Lexington the past two years. I am a public land wildlife manager here and am fortunate enough to spend my days creating food plots, improving hunter access and just be out in nature everyday.
    I have a couple trail cams out, which I have gotten a few really nice bucks on but nothing to get overly excited about

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys! John here, checking in from NW Arkansas. I hunt in NE Oklahoma as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6. SkylarPreston

SkylarPreston Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys checking in here. I’m a 20 year old college student. I live and hunt in East Tennessee. I’m an avid bow hunter. Working on trying to become a Gamewarden in the state of Tennessee. Glad to meet y’all. Looking forward to getting to know u guys better

7. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Nice to meet you guys! Seems like we have some solid states represented! Big key to this contest is shooting does!

8. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    And so it begins. Good luck folks!

9. SkylarPreston

Dislikes Received:
    I’m big into shooting does. So no worries on my end. Now a big buck? You might have to worry. I’m in a dry spell, but maybe that’ll change

Joe Bear likes this.
  10. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Doe are obviously a big player - so is member involvement. If people are coming on here and updating on trail camera activity, hunting reports and just generally encouraging the squad it usually makes for a competitive group effort…

I’m more of a “trophy hunter” than I care to admit or discuss… My wife isn’t a fan of venison and so it’s just me. Yes I could donate the meat and I have friends who would gladly take a deer off my hands. So I’m not going to say that I absolutely will not take a doe - but it’s very situational for me.

I also have been known to be pretty selective in taking bucks. I am perfectly content on hunting really hard and still eating a tag. I haven’t killed a buck the last two seasons… Quite frankly - I haven’t had many opportunities to kill decent bucks the last two seasons. I’d chalk it up to bad luck more than anything else. I probably hunt October a little harder than I should perhaps - get in on my good stuff to early/often. Just my own personal goal is that I’m probably not taking a shot at a buck that’s less than 140”

Joe Bear and SkylarPreston like this.
  11. SkylarPreston

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I’m bad abt over hunting my stands in October too. I hate to admit it but I hunt so much in early season. I start to get a little burnt out by November. The buck to doe ratio in my area is absurd so that’s why I shoot a lot of does. My whole family is crazy for venison so no waste :)

Joe Bear and sycamoretwitch like this.
  12. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting a doe shouldn't be a problem. I got tons of does on camera but haven't seen very many bucks. I'm sure that will change towards the end of October. Currently only have one buck showing up that I am thinking of shooting if given an opportunity. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

13. Joe Soil

Joe Soil Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting does shouldn’t be an issue here for me as well. We do have a pretty diverse team here spread out in the big buck states, I think this team could make a run at it!

SkylarPreston likes this.
  14. ILbowhntr

ILbowhntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Figured I’d better get checked in. Been on a boat with no internet.
    Jim from SE illinois. Our season starts 10/1, mine will start 10/18.
    Laying down a doe or two won’t be a big deal. We’ve got way too many on the farm.
    I’ll get home tomorrow and pull some cards to see what’s running around.
    Anything great, I’ll let y’all know.

15. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just checking in. My name is Joey. I moved to Alabama from Kansas so my opportunities for a big buck have shrunk some at least this year because I unsuccessfully did not get drawn for a KS tag this year. My family has some ground in Ohio which I will be hunting around Thanksgiving. With that said I have been extremely blessed over the last six years and 11 is my favorite number. Here are the last few deer I have gotten if you guys get a chance to check them out.

16. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t want or expect anyone to change the way they hunt. This is just for fun. As of now I’m holding out for a 160+. That could change but I’ve got the property to do so.

And I hope everyone stays active on here. And please make sure to take pictures of your deer! Last year my team had 2 bucks that didn’t count because the right stuff wasn’t posted. We would have won. They completely ghosted our team. I love getting updates on what everyone is seeing or shooting.

I’ll be taking the first full week of November off to hunt. Im so pumped

SkylarPreston and sycamoretwitch like this.
  17. P&YChaser

P&YChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, my name is Chris, I’ll be hunting in central Wisconsin split between public and private land. I’ve got twin 11 year old boys that I try to take hunting with me every chance I get, which sometimes makes it a little more difficult to get things done haha.
    I’ve had some cameras out for a few weeks now, nothing huge showing up yet, but a couple I might have a hard time passing in. Season here starts 9/17 and I’ll be hoping to shoot a doe early and then let things rest until late October before going at it hard for a buck.

18. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    This can’t be reiterated enough… If you are going to participate in this contest - follow the rules and make sure to post and get credit for your harvest! Killing a buck and then coming on here to let us know but never enter into the scorecard is beyond maddening behavior…

19. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lmfao I told my team the exact thing.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

20. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    You wouldn’t think that you have to say such things… Like to enter a contest and not kill anything - okay that happens! But to enter a contest and kill something and not record it because you are too lazy. Well uhhh why enter in the first place. I have no words.

SkylarPreston, soccerdan90 and Fix like this.