Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

TEAM 11 Official Thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by BowFreak, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Waggs

Waggs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ........Wow!! Big Congrats Man!!!

2. Waggs

Waggs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also a big congrats to Page with another good solid buck for the team!! Im stoked guys!!!

3. Page

Page Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ILL Buck...NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!!!
    I was able to put one down last night, put the tape to him tonight and came up with 132 1/8, not bad for my first buck w/ a bow! I will get pics and details up tomorrow.
    If you are in IL the time is now, they are on their feet and movin all hours of the day from what I've seen

4. BowFreak

BowFreak Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again Jason, looking forward to seeing bigger pictures of your buck. You also get two bucks tags where you live correct?

I am still staying after it. It has been windy ALL weekend long and the deer movement has been slow. I am going to hunt tomorrow morning, I have the right wind to go in and try and kill Fish Hook. I havent been in there for over 5 days, looking forward to seeing him possibly.

5. Page

Page Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally got everything put on the score card, will someone please take a look and make sure I added everything correctly?

Thanks!!!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  6. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Page!!

7. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Page!!!!!!!!!!

8. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    The bucks are definitely on the move. I saw six bucks on the 11th. Three were shooters.

I had this one standing broadside at 35 yards. Too far for me... but it was a good experience. I did get a two seconds of video of him as he walked out my life. :)
    [​IMG]

9. BowFreak

Dislikes Received:
    Great looking buck Christine. Stay after it, sounds like the woods are starting to get good in your area.

10. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  11. DEERSLAYER

DEERSLAYER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Page!

Sorry to say it team mates, but it looks like I will be the weak link this year. Up to this point it is by far my worst season ever.

Nice buck Christine. I hope you get him!!!

12. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer Deerslayer, I hope things change soon for you.

To Will, I need to get my shoulder worked on and I'm sort of looking at new bows. My equalizer is a great bow, it's rough on my shoulder but it does a number on the deer too. I just need them to be 25 yards or closer. I really don't mind that. Bowhunting has always been an up close and personal kind of deal for me. :)

To the whole team... well, I hope I don't disappoint ya'll but I shot a buck that won't go much over 100" today. I did have that 11 pointer show up again. Right behind me... downwind. He was only 25 yards away when I first noticed him and I couldn't get my bow out of the darn bowholder fast enough before he walked to 20 yards and caught my scent. He did a couple of quick steps and got out to 30 yards and just non-chalantly walked away. What a turd. Then a decent buck walked by at 50 yards.. he wasn't following the script either. I tend to talk to the critters, the trees, the wind, when I'm out there... partly because I'm punchy from a lack of sleep and partly just because I can... So I said out loud (quietly) "Deer, you're supposed to come down one of these two trails, get with the program!"

So.. here comes a doe. By herself. We're encouraged to kill as many does as we can on this property. The deer population is not 'high' at this place, by any means, but they want to keep it that way. So, she's looking like a target and she's headed right down one of my preferred trails. She stops at 30 yards and starts grooming herself. I have my bow up and even though it's not drawn, just the weight of it kills my shoulder. Since she's facing towards me I stay motionless. Then she perks up and looks past me. Staring. I had already had a pack of coyotes come through so I thought maybe they were back... but I'm not going to turn and look. Then I hear crunching. The unmistakable sound of deer footsteps. Close. I slowly turn and look and see antlers. Good tines..... and then bad. I see it's a buck that has busted off his g2 and g3. I let him pass at 20 yards. Then he works a scrape... also at 20 yards. He had come right down the trail I had just admonished the deer to come down. But I'm thinking... nah, he's too messed up. But then he sees the doe who is still standing there 30 yards away and turns towards her. This means he's coming down the other trail I wanted the deer to come down. I take this as an omen, a gift. So I draw on him as he's right in front of me.... 8 yards from the base of my tree. I sky pull due to my bad shoulder. He looks at me.. and just as quickly dismisses me. So I shot him. He bounds off 40 yards, staggers another 10 and drops.

He ran past the doe and the doe walks closer to me so she can look around a tree to see what his problem was. I range her, she's 25 yards away but quartering towards me. I already have another arrow nocked. I hope she turns but as the buck gives his last death kick, she decides whatever it is that's going on, she wants none of it and bounds off.

I got to tell you guys, I have no regrets about shooting him. Yeah, he's busted up and that's a shame. But his lack of inches is offset by the fact that everything else fell into place so well. He even went 50 yards closer to the foot-trail. It's still almost 1/2 mile uphill to the truck but even then, my boyfriend was hunting the same zone and pulled the deer cart most all the way for me... woot!

[​IMG]
    Note the heavy Red Mist at the impact site. :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  13. Christine

Dislikes Received:
  14. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I swear that buck was a real brawler... hes ears were all cut up.. I have to wonder did your buck and my buck brawl ;)

Way To Go Christine !!!!!!!!!!

15. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your buck !! Sounds like a great hunt to boot !! Sorry to hear about your shoulder.

Tim

16. DEERSLAYER

DEERSLAYER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck Christine! It looks like he had some nice tines that broke off, but as long as your happy with him then I'm happy you shot him! :cool:

17. Page

Page Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Combats Christine, to bad is is all busted up, however still a nice deer either way and more point for the board!!!
    Any word from ILL BUCK on what his scored?

18. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    I think he'll almost make 110". He even broke his brow tine on the left side. He had a bad attitude.

19. BowFreak

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck Cristine, congrats again.

20. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Christine! Points is points! If everyone scores, we win!