Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

TEAM 11 Official Thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by BowFreak, Aug 29, 2011.

1. BowFreak

BowFreak Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    He has 2 real nice looking buddies around here also that just showed up on camera this week.

2. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Dave!

3. DEERSLAYER

DEERSLAYER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet!

4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck. Hope you tag him!

5. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I will going out tonight/tommorow night hoping to put 50 points on the board. Got a few good food source stands and the weather is getting colder.

6. BowFreak

BowFreak Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck this weekend Caleb, hoping to see some pics of a deer down. I will be hitting the woods tomorrow morning. I have pretty high hopes for tomorrow, wind is supposed to be perfect for me.

Good luck to everybody heading out to the woods this weekend. Send me some updates!!!

7. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Remember boys and Christine,

If we want to win this contest, the secret is does. Does does does. 50 points apiece.

8. DEERSLAYER

Dislikes Received:
    OK, you start. :tu:

9. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    I have a good feeling that Team Red Mist will be adding more points to our total this weekend!

I'll be expecting texts!!! :)

10. DEERSLAYER

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have texting. :) I guess you will have to wait for the pictures. Good luck!

11. Page

Page Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We made it!!! We can finally climb in a tree tomorrow and let the arrows fly! Good luck to all who is headed out. Looks like the weather is going to be perfect for a new stand I put up in a little oak patch, hope all turns out well.
    I just realized how much of my stuff I still need to gather up...lol, so far the only thing I can't find is my knife :cry: however if I don't find it I'm sure to kill one.
    Sorry I haven't gotten on the phn. list, I will try to dig up the post and who I was supposed to send it to and get that done tonight. My only concern at this point is if I shoot a buck, how to score it as I've never tried it on my own.
    Good Luck to all and most importantly be careful out there.

12. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Page, I've gutted deer with a single blade from my muzzy broadhead when I've forgotten my knife. :)

I'm still not totally ready to go but I have my bow, stand and arrows in the truck... so I'm most of the way there. I'm on earn-a-buck property so wish me luck on getting a doe this weekend.

Good luck ya'll!!

13. kmod

kmod Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stands are up (10 up 4 more if we need them) Backpack is packed, camo is washed and in a scent free bag, Bow is tuned (hitting a baseball sized group at 50yrds), Broadheads on arrows, coffee pot set to go at 5am... I think I'm ready!!!!

Remember a doe is 50pts and take 2 pics with your bow. I'll be texting some of you from the stand..

Good luck to everyone going out tomorrow morning!!! Be safe and may your arrows fly straight!!!

14. Waggs

Waggs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to everyone! This ol boy cant sleep so hes pullin an all nighter. Ill send everyone a text and let ya know how the hunt went! Im STOKED!!!!!!!!:rock:

15. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Well boys, shoulda had 50 points last night, but mother nature wouldnt let it.

I saw 17 antlerless deer from stand, and one 6 point.

Took a perfect 30 yards broadside shot at a mature doe, double lunged her. Found my arrow right away. Only problem was, it was POURING rain.

Looked for an hour last night, and 3 hours this morning with no luck. Grid searched the entire property. Pretty bummed out right now.

16. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer Caleb. :(

I shot a doe at 5:30pm. I tried texting everyone on the text list but I was in a river bottom and I dont think they all went through. I'll post pics tomorrow. Right now I'm beat and am going to sleep. :)

17. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the Doe Christine, saw the pics on Facebook. If i would have found mine, we would be in 1st place. Sorry guys :(

18. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    It happens Caleb, it sucks, but all you can do is, learn if you can from the experience, try to shake it off and go after another one. :(

19. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    My opening day hunt went something like this.
    I got up at 3:05am (a bit late), so that's about 4 hours sleep for me, Kendall who works second shift got about 3 hours. We got to the park at 4:35am. Five minutes after the drawing for zones. Weirdly, there were only five other hunters there so there were still lots of spots open. Kendall made me pick the zone so I picked one that nobody had signed up for but was a bit difficult to hunt with a north wind.

Kendall went to the top of a ridge and I went all the way down to the river. It's probably only a half mile from the parking lot but it feels like a lot farther. Still I had my climber up a tree, the camera arm set and was ready to go with lots of time left to stand around in the dark waiting for shooting light to come. It was suspiciously easy.
    Right at first light a raccoon in the tippy top of the tree that I was in pooped on me. :mad:
    I wasn't sure what the heck came raining down all over, sounded like heavy rain drops but I could see that it was bits of stuff. I had my suspicions and shortly thereafter a raccoon came climbing down. I shared my thoughts with him and he scampered off. (I didn't find any poop on me but there were bits of it on my camera and camera arm... ick)

So then the deer started showing up. First a doe with twins. They did a half circle around me never coming closer than 40 yards. Then a mystery deer goes bounding by. I think it was doe and there was a little fork buck pushing her. They never came closer than 50 yards. Then five does and fawns show up at 10 am. They also do the half circle, eating acorns, again never getting closer than 40 yards. At 11am I climb down. That walk back to the truck seems twice as long. (and it really is all uphill) :)

My friends Deb and Louie are hunting this place too. Deb had scored on her antlerless deer. Louie didn't see any deer on the morning hunt and my boyfriend Kendall had shot a big doe but hit her too far back. So we gather for lunch and an evening game plan. Louie and I would go out hunting again, Deb and Kendall would look for his deer.

I went back down to the bottoms, this time I wanted to move over closer to the oaks that the deer were favoring in the morning. When I got to area I wanted, I stood there scanning for a climbable tree. While I stood there, two does and three fawns showed up. Drat. Only one fawn spotted me, but when she ran off the others followed. I figured I blew it and so instead of looking for a climbable tree, I started wandering around and looking for a good tree. Well, long story, longer, I wandered around for 20 minutes before settled for a climbable tree. It was a skinny, slightly crooked silver maple but it was in a good spot.
    I had no sooner settled into the tree and a lone doe showed up. She started eating acorns and I drew on twice before she gave me a good angled shot. I misjudge the yardage a bit. I put her at just over 20 and she was probably only about 17 yards away (it makes a difference with my bow). So the hit was on the high side but I was able to see her crash about 60 yards away. I didn't continue to hunt because I wanted to help Kendall look for his deer. I'm not hunting today because I have my deer to process and Deb gave me her deer too.

But now I can shoot a buck on this property. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  20. Long Beard Gobbler

Long Beard Gobbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sounds like everyone is having a decent opening weekend keep up the work i still got a 2 week wait oh boy does it go by slow