Team 11 - Hooves Up, Don't Shoot

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by Beagle001, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Joe p checking in gentlemen looks like a great team best of luck to every one this is my first hunt with the forum I'm sure I will do my best to help team I will be hunting my home state of ny as well as Connecticut and my lease in Ohio and Illinois . My hunting partner and I are filming our hunts for pursuit channel next level season 3 . I believe I have a good chance at a season best 636 inches of bone in a season . I look forward to chatting with everybody

2. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys, Craig checking in, some familiar faces here. I do majority of my hunting on some family farms in SE Minnesota. The cameras have been quiet so far, so hopefully that changes. Season opens here September 19

3. Invisible man

Invisible man Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in from SoCal.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like we are only missing Redz, everyone else has checked in. Once he gets here we can work on getting a team name and captain.

To keep the conversation going, how about every post a picture of the favorite buck you have taken. Doesn't have to be the biggest, but the one that means the most to you.

I'll start it out.

[​IMG]

5. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Official Team 11 Thread

[​IMG]

He's my biggest bow buck. Had good chances at bigger just haven't been able to capitalize. He scored just shy of 120" even with a busted up main beam.

I grunted him in and watched him aggressively push away smaller bucks. Also it was the first time I have heard a buck growl. Awesome experience. Shot him 2 seasons ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  6. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Great story, terrible picture :poke:

The buck I posted is also my largest buck with a bow, grosses somewhere around 149". He was the dominate buck on my property in 2013. That was a year where I had over a dozen shooters consistently using my property during the summer, but when the split up for their fall ranges, he stayed and was clearly dominate over any other buck in the area. I heard him grunting from about 100 yards away, and could tell by the sound he was a mature buck. He was checking for does in an Egyptian wheat screen. I grunted at him twice, and came in on a string all bristled up and stiff legged. He followed the edge of the timber, I stopped him and put an arrow through him at about 8 yards. It was a great feeling to finally be able to take a good mature, dominate buck off my property.

7. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I realized that after I posted. I have updated the picture lol

8. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Here's a hero shot. It was a very warm November so I changed into shorts haha. Didn't see him go down so waited a while before going after him.

9. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This guy is my biggest buck ever. But what makes him special is that I had 3 or 4 pics of him from June 28- July 4th. I ended up killing him from the same tree I had the camera mounted on. I killed him Nov. 2nd 2007. He had 14pts and weighed 275 field dressed.

[​IMG]

Blessings..........Pastorjim

10. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Wow awesome buck!!!

11. redz

redz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in! Good luck everyone! Opening day is 09/11 here!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

12. redz

redz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

My first archery buck from three seasons ago on the public land I hunt.

I don't know why it came out sideways, lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

13. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Good to get everyone checked in. I find that it helps to subscribe to this thread to help keep everyone active. You can do that by clicking on "Thread Tools" in the grey bar just above the first post. Then you can click on "subscribe to this Thread".

The key to being competitive in this contest is for everyone to kill their doe. That's what generally separates the better teams. If you think about it, the last few championships have been in the 1100 to 1300 point range. If we all kill a doe, were pretty much half way there, then if half the team can bag a decent buck, you've got a solid change at taking the whole thing. That's the formula we had on my last team for 3 years which included 2 championships and a second place finish last year. I think out of all three years, we only had one buck over 170 and only one other over 150 submitted. Most were between 100 and 140, but we killed a lot of does to run the score up.

14. northern rednek

northern rednek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good strategy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Fre

15. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sky walker sounds good by the way I want to nominate you team captain.

16. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what I can pull off where bucks are concerned. I did manage to post a 124 last year and a 111 the year before. It will depend largely on luck for me, but I know there are a lot of studs in Kentucky where I hunt. I just don't have the ability/resources to scout and pattern the deer there.

I'll guarantee a doe, though, I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that I'm good for a buck also. Probably not of the caliber some of you are used to putting your tags on, but I promise you that any buck I shoot I'll be proud of. I just love deer hunting.

17. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    That's all this is about!!!! I'll be good for a doe for sure as well. Bucks I'm going to be more picky on..... I think.

18. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Little chief just be safe and have a good time I like to say I would rather be lucky then good semper fi

19. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to see everyone checked in!

Definitely believe in the theory of everyone shooting does for score. Makes a big difference.

[​IMG]

This is Zeus, my biggest and most special buck so far. Had pictures and a close call with him in 2010, then one close call early 2011 (though I didn't know it was him at the time), and then pictures and a VERY close encounter with him on Black Friday that year. He followed my tracks into the stand that morning and it was literally minutes away from shooting light.
    In 2012, his core area shrunk, and I ended up getting 70+ pictures of him. I chased him hard that fall, but he was smart, and almost entirely nocturnal. Then, with the help of a nasty cold front, he made the wrong move, once again on Black Friday, less than 100 yards from where I had the encounter with him the year before.

20. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed, don't change how you hunt for this contest. Nobody needs to put any pressure on themselves to kill something just for the sake of the contest.