Team 11 - Hooves Up, Don't Shoot

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by Beagle001, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Our season starts today. Not sure when I'll be able to get in a tree though. I coach a travel softball team and we have games tonight, then my daughters JR High team plays Thursday, Friday and then a tournament on the weekend. I'm hoping maybe I can sneak in a hunt on Wednesday evening.

2. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Here's hoping you can. I've pretty much decided to go back to Kentucky this weekend. I've seen bucks every weekend, so as long as there's a chance I'll keep going after them.

3. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, I forgot to post this. Saturday evening I hunted a new spot that neither of us (my brother and myself) had hunted before. I found a good tree that my climber barely fit around. There were quite a few small limbs that had to come off, so I started working my way up to hunting height, which for this particular tree and location ended up being 26 feet.

At around 12 feet I encountered what looked like an old squirrel's nest. I took my hand saw and started trying to knock it out of the small support branches. I heard a hissing growl and suddenly there was a 'possum about 20 inches from my face doing it's "hissing smile of death". For that split-second before I realized what I was up against the thought of bailing out of my Summit crossed my mind. I ended up hauling my bow up and pushing it,... well, knocking it out of the tree with the idler wheel.

Those jokers are pretty scary when they're right in your face. :)

4. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Oh great, now you have me scared. I found a tree to hunt the public land spot I posted about earlier, but it has a squirrel's nest(or so I thought) at about 15 feet up..... I thought that seemed pretty low for the squirrels around here.

5. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I HATE possums with a passion lol. I'll be out Saturday evening no weapon in hand trying to help my pastor's son get his first Iowa whitetail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Just a friendly reminder from Fitz concerning entries on the scorecard. There have already been several entries that we not done properly and they cause a lot more work for him and will not count towards the team score until they are correct. Just make sure you get everything they need.

Remember I need:
    Team number
    Time & date of Kill
    2 photos including hunter, bow and animal
    score & scoring breakdown (for bucks only)

Here's an example of a good entry:
    http://forums.bowhunting.com/showth...orecard***-Updated-9-15?p=1137421#post1137421

7. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We had a pretty slow start to the season here. Not much action around, although three of my friends shot some dandy bucks, (130, 150+ and one that will be close to 170) so it was good to see good people have some luck.

I might get out this week yet, but more realistically it will be Friday. Gonna try hard to get a doe on the ground this weekend. Been having trouble getting excited for hunting around here, but I am absolutely jacked for my South Dakota trip coming up. I'll be out there in 10 days!

8. Englishman

Englishman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well went out this AM and didn't see anything. Pulled my cameras and I do have turkeys and does going into the plot most days both AM and PM. I don't usually kill does on my land until after the rut but I do hunt other land but don't start hunting there until the day temps come down to about 65-70. I will be Back out 2moz AM.

9. redz

redz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Could've had my first kill this evening, but I let a lone spotted fawn pass. It was 12 yards broadside for like 10 minutes. What are your guys opinion on that? Just saw 2 other doe out of bow range.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Let it grow. That's my opinion.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

11. redz

redz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It was just skin and bones. Wouldn't have helped fill the freezer.

12. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My goal is to fill the freezer first with an adult as there just isn't much meat on a fawn this time of year, but if the freezer is close to full and a fawn gives me a shot in December, now that is some fine eating.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  13. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^
    No shame in shooting fawns (although I'm against shooting buck fawns, if at all possible)
    Years ago when we had Earn-A-Buck, I shot a few doe fawns in order to get my buck sticker

14. Englishman

Englishman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know you you mean about the fawns. I had these for several min just hanging out.
    image.jpg

15. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Once again, the truck is loaded to head to Kentucky tomorrow. I actually pulled one of my two trail cameras from my spot behind the house to take up there and set on the new spot. I looked at the pics and was fairly surprised to see my first buck pics of the season. They were in my little kill plot at 7:45 Monday morning. Just a fork horn and a small 8 point, but at least it's a start.

The farmer whose land I'm hunting on as been harvesting corn like crazy. Once the corn is picked, the game changes dramatically. It's a target-rich environment when the corn is still in the field, which I'm sure you've guessed by now. Once the corn comes out it's crazy there. Here's hoping something good happens.

16. MNpurple

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck LittleChief....it comes together this weekend for you.
    MN opens Saturday...ready to go!

17. redz

redz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pissed! Had a doe at 10 yards (no pin for that). Used 20 yard pin and shot right over her back. Could see a little tuft of hair where it grazed her. Had two more fawns right in front at last light, but was waiting to see if the two bigger does would come in. They got to about 30 yards then went the other way.

18. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    3rd times the charm!!! Go get 'em Little Chief! I'll be waiting for pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. MNpurple

Dislikes Received:
    Any of you ever use a decoy? I've been wanting to try a full body buck during the rut but I usually work so hard for that one shot at a nice buck each year that I'd really kick myself if he would react negatively to a decoy.

20. redz

redz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    uploadfromtaptalk1442538563474.jpg

This was the view from the tree. That's the second time that's happened from that spot. I don't practice shooting that close.