Team 11 Hab en Arrows

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by fletch920, Aug 26, 2019.

1. John adams

John adams Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Still looking at upper 80’s to low 90’s here in northeast TN. Looks like a cold front coming thru starting Friday tho with some fall like temps all next week as well. Hopefully things will start picking up!!

2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Our season opened today, but I have only hunted the opener once in about 20 years. I shot a doe the opening evening a couple of years ago because we had a nice cool front that day. Today was hot and now storming. I did manage to shoot my vertical bow today for the first time since breaking my wrists last summer. I am pumped to start shooting daily now that I can do it without much pain. I cant shoot a lot, but its a blessing to have it back in my hands!

Mlavigne78 likes this.
  3. Mlavigne78

Mlavigne78 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After reading more posts about wrong scoring it has taken any fun out of this. If we re-score and it goes up, that’ll be worse. I don’t care if my buck gets 50 points or 0 to be honest. This was supposed to be fun! The internet can even take a for fun contest and turn it ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Keep in mind that the entire premise behind this contest is to see what team can achieve the highest score. It is definitely meant to be fun, but there is a long history of guys stretching the tape or just being completely in the dark on how to properly score deer and putting up all kinds of crazy numbers. If there is one thing that we all need to do to keep it fun, it is follow a very simple set of rules. Accurately scoring your bucks is top priority. We cant end the contest and have a couple of teams within an inch or two and then have everyone come back with new scores because they didn't score accurately when originally entering a deer. The P&Y system is not terribly difficult to follow, but it does take some time to learn how to score correctly. Don't be afraid to ask questions or look up the tutorials on how to score. If we all do this and make sure we put up TWO pictures with our deer, bow and ugly mug, we will have a great time kicking every other teams butt! :evilgrin:

tynimiller and airenlow like this.
  5. Mlavigne78

Dislikes Received:
    Scoring bucks is something I’ve done for a while for fun. Not being a professional measurer, and wanting to stay honest, I rounded down the the next 8th on all my measurements (which I believe is correct anyways) I can’t help it went to 1/4, 1/2, and wholes. I believe I had a 6/8 that I called .75? That’s still the same thing. Maybe my deer isnt the the main one they worry about, but I bet many people will do the same. They should take one of the complainers and we all mail our deer to them for an accurate score.

6. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    The very early bucks in the contest will always get a lot of attention. It's pretty normal to get extra scrutiny. I will tell you though, it is almost impossible to accurately score a deer and not have 8ths and quarters on the sheet. I understand that you may have rounded down, but that is not how the P&Y system works so it raised some questions. No biggie to me other than I am the guy that gets the PM's because I got the captain job. So, in the interest of the competition and the integrity of the P&Y scoring system, I just ask that we all make every effort to follow the rules and score according to rules and accepted methods. We are all on the computer, so I know we have access to fillable score sheets that will do the math for you. If that helps, please utilize it. Again, lets not let this spoil a good time, lets just learn from it and learn how to accurately score and have fun! At the end of the day, we have two beautiful early bucks on the ground that don't need a score to make great memories. Congrats to the both of you and lets start stacking them up. :bow:

tynimiller and dcaldwell like this.
  7. dcaldwell

dcaldwell Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks about the same here... I’m honestly just happy the wind is switching... my stands are mostly set up for a north(ish) wind as I don’t have many other options and up until this coming weekend have been primarily from the south... due to this haven’t hunted much as I only hunted on days I thought I Could get away with a just barely good enough wind. Things are looking up though!!!

This year is weird as this time last year I had already filled my buck tag on a decent velvet buck and had hunted about 15 times... this year seems like the world is stacked against me...

That being said we have a Cold front with a good wind coming!!! Bring it on!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

John adams likes this.
  8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch outlined everything very well, it isn't even close to worthy of stealing your joy or fun of everything.

Even IF you remeasure and find an error big deal, no one thinks (and if they do screw em) you did anything intentional. I havent really noticed many making accusations of score wrong doing, some discussions on how to score but perhaps I missed some stuff.

You rocked the season already, smile and keep smiling!

Kudos to you all, team is out the gate HOT!!!!

airenlow and fletch920 like this.
  9. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I have never been on a team that put down two bucks before a single doe. I like our chances. I think we have a ton of opportunity yet to go!

tynimiller likes this.
  10. Mlavigne78

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve got does galore. That’ll be easy. I’ve ran cameras all year. I killed the biggest buck I knew of. Our archery season runs Sept. 7-Nov 1. I’m waiting on it to cool down before I get a doe. Once Nov 2 gets here, I’ll take a muzzleloader or rifle until Jan 1. There’s always the possibility of a monster buck in the rut, but I won’t have my bow with me. My buck was the biggest bow kill I’ve ever made, and got my family burger for a few months! I’ve got a crossbow I was going to use, but killing that deer with the old Switchback made me fall in love with it again!

fletch920, tynimiller and John adams like this.
  11. John adams

Dislikes Received:
    933CA12D-5C50-4262-9BC7-D5412626E38E.jpeg
    Here is my re-score. I’ve also posted an **EDIT** in the scorecard thread, I wasn’t sure if you needed to reach out to anyone in regards to the matter..

12. John adams

Dislikes Received:
    I cheated myself out of 2 5/8 inches so I guess definitely lesson learned.. sorry for the hiccup fletch.. hopefully not many people blew up your messages over it.

13. dcaldwell

Dislikes Received:
  14. dcaldwell

Dislikes Received:
    fletch920 and John adams like this.
  15. John adams

Dislikes Received:
    Taking my son out in the morning. I feel pretty good about his chances. Hopefully we can get some luck our way and get a shot on one. Good luck to all who hunt this weekend!

fletch920 likes this.
  16. John adams

Dislikes Received:
    1919647C-0637-4ECC-B3FD-BBEE2B29A31B.jpeg A4585D91-8A03-4B72-B260-7048287B1725.jpeg My little hunting buddy got it done this evening. Couldn’t be more proud

17. dcaldwell

Dislikes Received:
    John adams likes this.
  18. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome John! Congrats to your son.

I helped a buddy cut up a buck yesterday that he got with bow. His second sit. 160 10pt. I have not been out yet, but spent the afternoon yesterday putting in new sets and trimming out existing ones. I found one dead in a small pond and saw very little for sign on that property. EHD has hit that area really hard. I will probably just sit there a few times during the rut in hopes of catching deer moving from further away. My other property seems to be picking up a lot of activity as the plots mature. But, I have been letting a great nephew hunt there on a youth tag, so leaving it to him for now.

John adams likes this.
  19. dcaldwell

Dislikes Received:
    Didn’t get out this weekend. Based on my wireless camera wouldn’t have seen much other than a few fawns anyway...

Flash forward to today and my #1 is standing broadside at 18 yards in front of my stand this morning... sometimes I hate this job thing lol IMG_4171.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

John adams and fletch920 like this.
  20. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    My Spartan game cameras are going bonkers tonight. This cool front is making the deer move like crazy. I am going to have to get in the stand this weekend. Its early for me, but the cameras always tell the tale.

dcaldwell likes this.