Team 11 Hab en Arrows

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by fletch920, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Mlavigne78

Mlavigne78 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I reached out and told them about my doe. I think we did get credit for it at one time, but I added up points tonight and it seems we no longer do. Hopefully we will get that 50points back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Mbcoyote

Mbcoyote Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's the thing. I shot him Nov 23. I couldn't recover him then on the 29th I shot another buck (with rifle) and used my tag on him. Dec 3 I was checking snares and noticed the ravens gathering. It was the buck I shot with my bow on the 23rd. We only get one tag in manitoba so I have no 100% legal valid tag for him. I did take the head though, I have it tied to a tree. I am going to try getting a salvage tag.
    I agree with you 100% on shooting him again. I could have probably gotten a shot off eventually if I had pursued him the day after. He went maybe another 125 yards after I first bumped him. I still dont believe I missed him when searching I was within 15 yards of him several times. I suck:( that whole affair still bothers me on things that could have/ should have been....he's not huge but I'll take /post pics here tomorrow. By the time I'm off work it'll be dark.

pastorandrew likes this.
  3. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys I didnt think it would happen this year with my shoulder surgery. But decided this week to try pulling the bow..welp it works! Lol doe down! 26th straight season I have killed a deer with the bow!

Attached Files:

fletch920 and NebBowhunter like this.
  4. Mlavigne78

Mlavigne78 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Our late bow season opened back up today and runs until Jan 10. The weather is great and I will be back at it for a few sits. My cameras actually had a lot of activity this morning. It's a balmy 54 degrees here now and the lows are still very comfortable for the next few days. Plenty nice to enjoy sitting in a tree.

pastorandrew likes this.
  6. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    Merry Christmas everyone! Hope you all had a wonderful day!

fletch920 likes this.
  7. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Merry Christmas!

8. bushnlo

bushnlo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations! We are slowly catching up!!!
    We are now in 3rd place !we are only 1 doe away from second and 5 does away from first(or a couple of bucks)! You guys can do it!!!!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    pastorandrew and fletch920 like this.
  9. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    We just need fletch to kill the Iowa state record NT next week! Lets go Fletch! :deer:

bushnlo and fletch920 like this.
  10. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Boy do I wish! Honestly, the cameras have been pretty slow, but I do have a buck or two that have shown up since gun seasons pushed them around. Nothing really big, but something that would be a nice addition to our score. I hoped to sit today, but it has been raining the entire day. Maybe tomorrow afternoon will work out. I also need to shoot a doe or two for the freezer and for the 50 points. I have about 13 days left to get it done and plan on taking some time off work next week. Good luck to all of you that are hunting the late season! Lets put our rally hats on and do this.

pastorandrew likes this.
  11. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I just put together a purchase agreement for another 30 acres with a new cabin and pole building full of equipment. My father-in-law bought it a few years ago and I am buying it from him as he is too ill to keep it at this point. I have helped him with the property some and I am thrilled to think that we will be keeping it in our family. His buck from my avatar will hang in the cabin as a nice tribute. I hope to get my wife out there yet this year to kill her first deer on the land that her father turned into a nice whitetail property. That is his wish, and I am going to try hard to make it happen while he is still here to share the excitement. Sorry, but that may mean I get to hunt very little for myself. You guys are getting hosed by having me on your team this year. My sincerest apologies. Had I know how things were going to turn out, I never would have joined the contest this year.

12. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    Nah, this contest isn't about winning. It's about brotherhood! Things happen beyond our control all the time! was glad to be on a team with you this year! Enjoy the time with your wife and father in law! congrats on the new ground! Hope she kills a giant!

fletch920 likes this.
  13. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    I filled my last tag last night. Yearling doe. Hit was back, gave her few hours then let sarge do some work. He got his 30th recovery. Fun watching him do his job! 20191229_210402.jpg 20191229_204452.jpg

fletch920 likes this.
  14. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! That is awesome. Iowa legislation is still too stupid to allow us to use dogs to aid in the recovery of deer. Such a shame. I know some guys do it, but you are risking a violation by making every effort to recover a game animal.

15. bushnlo

bushnlo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great job! I have not even brought my dog out yet this year because things have been so crazy. I do have my tacking permits UBT-1 for nj. Hopefully it’s gets cold soon so I can start kill does and putting the dog on them.

pastorandrew likes this.
  16. bushnlo

bushnlo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    F15F7903-36F0-40E2-94E6-E606C9A9D03E.jpeg Got another doe today! I had not seen a deer in 5 sits so I decided to sit in a very thin strip of woods between houses on my buddies property and took this nice doe with the crossbow.I can’t wait to get back into bow shape so I can use my bow again. If I had my bow I may have been able to shoot 2.
    After a hernia and a torn tendon in my forearm it’s been 2 years since I got a deer with the bow . So I have been feeling really good and decided come spring I was going to get a new 60 lbs bow so it will be easier to shoot instead of my 70 lbs bow that’s hard to shoot now. But that may get pushed again because just before the new year I gave my self another hernia ☹️

fletch920 likes this.
  17. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    What type of dog do you track with?

18. bushnlo

bushnlo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lagotto
    Once I got injured I stopped taking him out so he has only been out a few times in the last couple of years.

Attached Files:

pastorandrew likes this.
  19. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Well, Mrs. Fletch got it done! She is thrilled to have taken her first deer and we had lots of laughs and many more tears. Her Dad is so excited for her and to make it even more special, she used his muzzleloader. The stars aligned on a really tough season and year, and all is good! I may have created a new hunting buddy. She is already talking about hunting with me next year. I love it. She has her own business and works about 70 hours a week and needs an excuse to get out more.

So, I finally have a very small window of opportunity to hunt for myself. I have a meeting all day tomorrow in Des Moines, but plan to take Thursday and Friday off to get out with the bow. Those are the last two days of our season, so better late than never. I'm not going down without a fight and hope to scratch out a few points!

20. NebBowhunter

NebBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to your wife. Those memories are better than you killing a monster. I went through same situation as you a couple of years ago. Hunting will always be there. Lasting memories with family won't. Good luck the next couple of days.

fletch920 likes this.