Team 1

Discussion in '2014 Turkey Contest' started by coheley665, Mar 3, 2014.

1. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    what blind did you end up getting?

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I got a good price on the Ameristep Brickhouse blind. I like the large size of it. The material isn't the best but for the price I am happy with it. I am planning on adding a new blind and stand to my set every year and this is my first blind since leaving my last one out over the winter last year and it got destroyed by the snow. I would like to get 3-4 of them for my properties and locations. Setup was fast and easy and it will easily fit two people and a tripod.

3. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    yeah I have a feeling mine is going to be a mess after leaving it out this winter to. Will not do that again for sure. I was looking into a double bull just cause you dont have to worry about window blocking shooting and filming areas. they do come with a lifetime warranty but idk if i wanna drop all the money on it. heading down to cabelas this weekend so hopefully they will have a few on display to check them all out.

4. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I got mine on sale at BPS for $129. Actually after setting it up and looking it over at this price I am very happy with it. I know it isn't as nice as others but I am really thinking of ordering one more now so I have two locations for late turkey season.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  5. hornhunter

hornhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got some prep work done in Kentucky for opening day next Saturday. Seen a bunch of birds and should be in for a great start to the season. Also got a Great surprise at the house a few days ago. Had just pulled into the lane and there were 2 long beards 2 jake's and 6 hens in the field. First time I have ever seen Turkeys on my farm !!! MaMa thought I had lost my mind when I came running in and grabbed the video camera and went running back out.

6. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    There starting to get active hear finally. Seen a few strutting over the weekend and a buddy had a couple gobbling there heads off behind his house the other day. Are you hunting public or private land in kentucky? Guy I met down there last year has been trying to get me to go back down and sending me all kinds of pictures of strutting. From the sounds of it things should be rocking down there for the opener

7. badgerboi21

badgerboi21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went down to the property this past weekend to scout a little. Didn't see a lot of sign, but put a few cameras out and got my blind set up. The weather up here is finally starting to turn. I just hope the winter wasn't too harsh on the birds.

8. hornhunter

hornhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nick I will be hunting private ground in Kentucky.

9. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Probably better since its on a saturday everyone is going to be out down there. Cant wait to actually be after them instead of watching them from the truck. Just over a week and I will be on my way to Texas.

10. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    My season starts monday but not really looking forward to it. Like I already mentioned I really don't have birds on this property that I drew tags for. Going to go out early and setup but most likely will bail early as well and head deeper into the woods to work on two small food plots that I need to get going on!

11. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    you have any cameras out there to see if there showing up at all?
    Dad drives by my lease everyday to work and yesterday morning he counted 10 toms strutting in the field with a bunch of hens :tu:

12. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    No I wasn't able to get them out. I am gonna go check the field edge Friday and see if I can find any tracks from them jumping the highway. I will probably put out a few cameras too but too late at this point to be useful for the turkeys!

13. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Called and booked a hunt at Brushy Hill for when I am in texas next weekend. Someone sent me a message on here so figured I would check them out and turned out they are only a hour half from where I will be and there rates where not bad at all. Normally I wouldnt do a outfitter hunt for turkey but since mom has only been seeing deer around her place and no turkeys I just needed the land to hunt. Hunt includes 1 turkey and as many hogs and predators as I want. Pretty excited since I have never had a chance to shoot a hog so hopefully I can cross that off the list aloing with a turkey. Also really curious to see how it goes since I have never hunted with a outfitter even though it is a non guided hunt.

14. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    That is just awesome Nick! Good luck and keep us posted on how it is going! Season starts monday for me. Going to head to the farm Sunday and check the field edge to see if any of the birds are hopping the highway. Hoping with this warm weather we finally got that they might be coming over to feed on some of the bean remains but not to optimistic.

15. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Went out to the lease todoay to clear the leaves off the clover plot and spread some more seed. checked the cam we put out 2 weeks ago and put another one out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    This is from behind my house today. Had 3 toms worked up just couldnt get a real good picture since its so thick.
    [​IMG]

17. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That looks like a lot of fun right there! Great pic! I've never had that many toms grouped up like that.

18. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that would be a fun morning to be in a blind. I was pretty shocked to see that many grouped up, the first pic there was one off in the distance and one close then as I kept scrolling through there was just more and more each pic

19. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Well my first season opened this morning but I didn't go out. This is the property that really doesn't have any birds. I did stop by later this morning and walked the field edge where they have always cross the highway onto our farm but nothing. Not a single track. Not really sure if I want to go sit at all this week for nothing. I only have till Friday then I have to wait till May 1st to get on my lease which I know has a ton of birds. We are getting dumped on with snow right now so I am thinking that I might head back out Wednesday and sit for awhile. Hopefully if I don't see any birds I might be able to call in one particular coyote that I keep getting on a trailcam that I would love to shoot!

20. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    How much snow did you guys end up getting? we got about 2in. Take a little walk maybe easier to see the track in the fresh snow vs mud??