Team #1 Thread

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by sycamoretwitch, Aug 19, 2013.

1. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Team 1:

2xlung5h0t - Checked In
    Arkansas countryboy - Checked In
    Bowhunter42 - Checked In
    Cledus - Checked In
    Daniel P. - Checked In
    dbl lung - Checked In
    jknierim - Checked In
    Mbrauer - Checked In
    P. SMASH - Checked In
    Rut Runkie - Checked In
    Smctitan - Checked In
    sycamoretwitch - Checked In

States Represented on Team 1

Arkansas - 1
    Georgia - 1
    Indiana - 1
    Illinois - 3
    Kansas - 1
    Maryland 1
    Missouri - 1
    Oklahoma - 2
    Wisconsin - 1

Ready set go!! Feel free to give a short introduction of who you are, how many years you have been hunting, what states you will be hunting and post any pictures of bucks on your hit list!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    I will go first since I happen to be winding down here at the office on this Monday afternoon.

My name is James Twitchell, you can call me Twitch, I am 27 years old and this is my third year in the contest, my third year bow hunting and my 5th year hunting whitetail - that said, come October 1 I will be hunting Indiana pretty hard - I have private hunting access in Vigo, Parke, Clay and Greene Counties. I have hunted the property in Clay sparingly and will probably only use it to harvest a doe or two and I have only turkey hunted the property in Greene in which me and my hunting buddy doubled last spring.

I haven't had any real impressive bucks on camera to this point - I've got a couple pretty nice food plots planted and they are coming along nicely. The last 3 years my cameras have shown 4 deer that were in access of 140" but none of those deer were harvested by me or ever seen in person... Now your excited to have me on your team!

Vigo is my primary hunting spot as the deer seem to be a little more dense. Over the last 3 years I have had some pretty big deer on camera, just never been able to get on them while in the stand. Here is a look at 3 deer that were on camera last week.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  3. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Consider this my "official" check-in as well . My name is Sean and I hunt/live in Maryland. I have two larger leases (one in Frederick that is 50 acres and another on the Eastern Shore that is 200 acres) and a small acre lease in the same county that I live in for quick trips. I have been bowhunting for 4 years and have killed at least 2 deer each year. Hoping to get my first big buck this season, and I have a few targets already. This is my first year on the Eastern Shore lease, but I am real excited about checking my trail cam on Sept. 1st. This area is known for producing some of the largest bucks in the state year after year. I have been a member here for as long as I've been bowhunting (I think) and recognize some of the names on the team. I look forward to getting to know some of you and having a good season :woot:

4. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot to add that I am 33 years old, been married for 2 years and when I'm not hunting or thinking about hunting, I am thinking about fishing or fishing.

5. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in. I live In fulton county Illinois. I'm on the bowhunting.com prostaff. Farm fulltime with my brother and dad in big buck heaven. Just got back from shooting antelope in Wyoming which should air in a couple weeks on bowhunt or die. Most of you might remember I was hunting cactus jack last year. I think he got poached but I got 6 other booners on trail cam that might be in trouble. Lets win this thing!!!!!!

Tyler Rector BHOD prostaff

6. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Tyler! Best of luck.

7. Rut Junkie

Rut Junkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    HI Boys, Check in. My name is Stace I have been bow hunting for 38 years, live in Illinois and have a lease in central western Illinois. I have hunted all over the great USA. Just pulled trail cam pics yesterday and have 2 bucks over 150. We have bigger one in the area. I am ready for my first blood trail of the 2013! We need to kill some big bucks but the team that wins this is the one that everybody shoots a doe. So, let kill some deer boys.

8. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Stace. I agree with the does adding big points to the totals. This is my 3rd contest and I've seen it first hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.skyangler.com

9. Daniel p.

Daniel p. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Daniel P. official check in. 24 years old, hunting since I was old enough to walk, fourth year bowhunting 2007, 2011, 2012 and now 2013. Last year I killed 1 doe and 1 buck scored 155 1/8. He was running with another buck that I never seen but the main 80 acres of 800 that I hunt I go in to plant my food plot, fill feeder, check camera and sit otherwise I stay out of it and I killed on Oct 15th last year.

Here it the buck I killed
    [​IMG]
    Don't mind the angle of the first shot, I shot him quartering away, Liver both lungs and the heart, ran through knocking over my feeder pushing the arrow into the spine, shot him again. He was shot at 13 yards and went 11 feet.
    I
    had a thread last year after I killed and caught some flak for hunting legally with a feeder, left the sight and came back when the bowhunting itch came back a month ago. The moderators and most members were very supportive and the guy talking smack was banned but it left a bad taste. It will not affect the way I hunt, the hunting pressure we have and acres of surrounding farm ground I have to do what I can to lure them in.

Anyway this is the buck I had on camera last year that I will be hunting this year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I may never see him but I have no doubts that once the farmers start harvesting the milo around my property I will start getting bucks on my food plot.

I haven't decided if I will take a doe or not this year. Kansas allows 4 does to be taken however we don't allow our hunters to take does on our property and we rarely take does. If you have does, you will have bucks.

10. Daniel p.

Daniel p. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also guys it looks like we have a great team started here, good guys in great locations and a prostaffer to cheer for every week on Bowhunt or Die. Hopefully I will be able to post some more trail cam teasers after tomorrows check.

11. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys! This is my official checking in post! My name is Chad, and I am 24 years of age. Been bow hunting for 8 years or so now, as much as possible when schooling allows. So far I haven't gotten any trail cam pictures of monster bucks, but I have a few decent sized does traveling threw, so hopefully that brings in a good sized buck come rut season. I primarily hunt in MO, but will also try to visit both KS, and IL pending access with friends. Looking forward to this competition, and watching as our team progresses threw season. Good luck, fellas!

12. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Here are a few I had on camera last year:

Same deer as above

10 Pointer 2012.jpg

Passed on this guy on opening day in my food plot - video from 30 feet up in one of my favorite trees!

This property I hunt is home to some pretty nice bucks, just a matter of me playing my cards right and being at the right place at the right time. I have October 2 through October 6 off and also have November 4 through November 10 off strictly for hunting! I also often bring my gear to work and if I get out of the office in time I change on the way and get in some week night evening hunts.

And you can view as many photos of my food plot as you want on this thread:

Click here: http://forums.bowhunting.com/food-plots-habitat-improvement/50127-2013-2014-food-plot-plan.html

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  13. jknierim

jknierim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    JKnierim official check in. My name is Jason Knierim. I am 33 years old, and live in Effingham Il. I have been bow hunting since I was 13, minus a few years due to being in the Army. I mostly hunt central Illinois (Effingham Co, Jasper Co, and Shelby Co). I will be going on a bear hunt in Sept with my brother(RKnierim team 2). I hope to be able to post some pics of that. I am looking forward to wonderful season, hopefully more, of interacting with all of you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

14. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome and good luck on your bear hunt, that sounds like a great time - where will you be going?

Looks like we've got some pretty good representation so far some great whitetail states! I will keep a list of what states are represented in the first thread of this forum!

15. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody have any issues with sycamore being captain? He's got my vote if he wants it. Also, once a couple more people check in, we should start thinking of some names.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.skyangler.com

16. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds good to me.

Tyler Rector BHOD prostaff

17. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I second that

18. 2xlung5h0t

2xlung5h0t Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2xlung5h0t checking in. I'm just a South Georgia boy who enjoys being outdoors. Deer season is my favorite time of year and I plan on spending every available minute in the trees. I'll have my camera's rolling in attempts to get my first video kill. This will be my 3rd year in the contest.

It doesn't matter to me who is captain.

19. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mind being captain, did it last year not much to it really - we will make sure the rest of the squad is good with that first. Anyway, looks like we have 4 more still to check in. Anyone want to start throwing some name ideas out. Here are a few that I came up with.

Since we are team number 1 - Wire to Wire
    Whitetail or Buck Dynasty (obviously playing off duck dynasty)

20. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys. Just checking in for another great team. Fun to see the different experience levels but anyway my name is Greg and I live in Wisconsin. Owning land in Vernon Co, WI and hunting other areas in the metro unit around La Crosse (county) I have a great chance at harvesting one of the great bucks in those areas. Last year was a challenging year dealing with two monsters in the 160 class, which both survived. I have no pictures of either yet but one of them has been in the area for 4 years now and he does not show himself until late October. I have harvested several bucks in the 125" to 149" range. I have told everyone the next buck I harvest will be at least 150". Our season opens September 14th and I will be sitting in a double ladder stand that evening with one of my daughters. Should be an interesting season and can not wait to read your stories. Good luck and be safe out there.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013