Team 1 FIRST BLOOD

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by Holt, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's rough Josh. I cant believe they got 2 of them. Just keep your head up. It will happen!

2. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had one of the bucks we were chasing get put down on the first day of the season by a hunter so I feel your pain. Just have to keep after it. You never know what may wander through.

3. wisbh

wisbh Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a lot of deer moving today and for the last couple days but nothing big. Does and fawns are running scared. Bucks are cruzing the fence lines and woods and marsh edges. I know I saw more than 20 deer today from the stand. I hope all of you are having better luck than me.

Holt and dnoodles like this.
  4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Heading back up to camp first thing tomorrow AM. Will be in the woods for the evening. Hunt all day everyday until TH.

Holt and wisbh like this.
  5. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Was in the stand 45 minutes before daylight yesterday until about 11:30. Thought it would be a great morning, temps about 25 with a light wind. Very slow morning with a couple of cruising bucks both small and about 6-7 does. As wish said does nervous as a cat and small bucks chasing every one they see.

wisbh and Holt like this.
  6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went yesterday for evening sit, had a button and a spike come by in bow range, no does! I hunted the same area I shot my buck in on Tuesday. Checked camera on the way in and sure enough my number 1 buck came thru at 7:30 in morning! I'm glad he is still alive. Kinda hoping I don't see him, would love to see him make it another year. He lives in this area for last 2 years and is by far the most dominant buck in there.

kb1785 and wisbh like this.
  7. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I knew him very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kb1785 and Holt like this.
  8. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    I livestreamed the recovery on Facebook

9. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Got my buck entered on scorecard.
    [​IMG]

kb1785, wisbh and Holt like this.
  10. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome Jordan! I'm not seeing many does this year and always try to take a couple. I may have to wait til rifle season to get my second buck tag, which I will be hunting with a bow anyway. Maybe I too can shoot a 2nd buck for my bonus deer. Congrats again! You still have a 3rd buck tag don't you?

boonerville likes this.
  11. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I have a late season muzzleloader tag. That season opens December 18th.

12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can you use lesser weapons or must use muzzle loader during that season? Not that it matters at this point, smoke pole hunting is fun also!

boonerville likes this.
  13. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    I can use a bow. I’ll probably take the muzzleloader though.

Holt likes this.
  14. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday when I got to my parking area there was another truck parked there. No biggie, I think; public land and this is a very big swamp that has a lot of room to roam. I notice that the truck is covered w/ "girl power" type hunting and truck stickers, but whatever my wife hunts too. I slink into my stand very quietly and get settled in with about 2 hours of light. It was perfectly still and you could hear anything of size from 100 yards away.

Nothing moved until about 10-15 minutes of light, which is standard for this stand- almost every deer I've seen here has been right at last light. I hear leaves and a few sticks steadily crunching towards me and get squared to the incoming leaf cruncher and flip my camera on...then realize that it almost has to be another hunter, and so it was... this damn woman was wrapped in enough clothes to be hunting in Saskatchewan (it was 30*) and lugging a crossbow and she parks her fat butt on a log not 30 yards from me for the last bit of legal light. This Yeti never even sees me up in my tree. If I hadn't already dropped my apple core to the ground I would have popped her in her fat gourd with it. Effing jerk walking though frosty leaves w/ 15 minutes left of light. All I could think of was she didn't have a flashlight and wanted to get to the edge of the slough at last light so she could find her way to her truck in the dark. (I've been lost in there at night before and it scared the bejeezus out of me.) I let her truffle-shuffle her way to the parking area before I got down and she was gone before I got back to the truck.

Long story short that sit was a total bust. This AM not much better. Had one buck that I could not get a read on cruise around me at first light. No wind so I waited until his walking was out of ear shot before I ripped off a couple of doe bleats. Didn't work. Nothing moved after that so I got down at 1030 and pulled my stand. Taking my climber deep into a different swamp behind camp tonight.

wisbh likes this.
  15. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    ....sigh. Just one lone small doe at about 4pm . The ground in that area looks like a heard of buffalo went thru. I'll give that spot one more sit tomorrow AM. I hunted it a few years ago and remember it was a better morning spot. Got hung up hopping out of the climber and jacked my knee up pretty good. Loud POP, hot flash of pain and then tingling. Hope it's not ACL.

16. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I missed a doe on Saturday afternoon which was the last day of the season. She was at 23 yards and it went clean over her back. I practiced that same set up tonight and I think it might’ve been the face mask I was wearing. I practiced in it before but I’ll be going back to paint or something.

I’ll be back at it in December. PA comes back in day after Christmas and I may take my bow during the rifle season. Haven’t decided yet.

Love seeing all of these great deer going down. Keep it up guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Holt, kb1785 and dnoodles like this.
  17. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I feel you, Jake. Nicked one high, nicked one low, and stuck and lost one so far this season. I'm still grinding but I haven't seen much past few days. Beginning to feel I might have to redeem myself in late season. Tomorrow is last day before opener of rifle here in MI so I got 2 sits with a bow left. I'll be out almost all day tomorrow w/only a quick lunch and change of locations. After tomorrow I'll break out the .35 Remmy and hit the swamp for Opening Day (Wednesday) only. Then I can't hunt again until December due to Wifecation (to make up for Rutcation.)

Jake/PA, Holt and kb1785 like this.
  18. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Knee is not good. This season has not been my best, to say the least. I can't catch a break, and when I do it's a nearly a literal break.

It hurts, but I'll suck it up. Another shot of Bulleitt, please!

19. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dang dnoodles, you are having a rough time. Take it easy, no deer is worth messing up your knee more.

dnoodles likes this.
  20. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Holt. I'll be aight. Iced the knee last night, it was pretty stiff this AM but not much pain. Took the longer easier route on the way in.

Holt likes this.