Team 1 FIRST BLOOD

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by Holt, Aug 14, 2017.

1. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well my doe shooting may come late in the year. I got permission to hunt an urban zone inside the city where I work. I will be hunting there Dec 1- Jan 30th. The objective there is to shoot at least 5 does so I can qualify for an urban buck tag next year. Si may not be doing any doe killing early season....but I will kill a doe. Ive been in the park scouting...you can't walk 50 yards without jumping a deer

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah last Saturday's 87° in WI saved at least one doe's life 2x (maybe different doe each time) because I did not feel like trying to keep her cool for the next 2 days. Heat wave will keep me out of the woods this weekend but I'll be in MI Oct 1 for the Sunday opener. Probably just a day trip but I'll sit all day.

Probably take the wife and she gets first dibs since it will be her first deer.

Josh/OH, wisbh and boonerville like this.
  3. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    94° here in Columbus today.. thank God the season is still a week away! The long range forecast is calling for mid 60's, with a NNW wind for the opener. Fingers crossed that it works out just like that!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

wisbh, kb1785, dnoodles and 2 others like this.
  4. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hope that forecast is correct. Calling for similar here is WV, really hot now but after next Thursday supposed to cool down and like you season starts Saturday.

Josh/OH, wisbh and Holt like this.
  5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I spent the weekend scouting and not hunting again. I found a couple doe bedding area that had some deer in them. Also a high oak ridge that was raining acorns. Lots of small beds all around in the oaks. This will be the first place I go in and hunt this week. I also picked up a shed! Checked camera and nothing great, a few small bucks and the oldest was a 3 1/2 year old with a small funky rack. So still in search for a good buck. I also found some active licking branches and scrapes, so I will be moving my camera to these.

Looking forward to you guys to start hunting, cant wait til this team gets rolling!

kb1785, dnoodles, Josh/OH and 2 others like this.
  6. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    hanging a couple stands in a MI public land spot this week after the temps drop. Was going to yesterday but forgot it was the early antlerless firearms season; I didn't have any orange on me; and I'm not going to lie w/ the 92* temps the brewpub down the road was more inviting than the woods.

kb1785, wisbh, Josh/OH and 1 other person like this.
  7. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Trying to get out this upcoming weekend with my new arrows [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Josh/OH, kb1785 and dnoodles like this.
  8. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    those will hit like a hammer! I'm pushing almost exactly the same KE so I should know :)

I spent the day canning the last of my 2016 buck. Well, almost the last. I still have the neck roast, and about 8# of ground that I will turn into meat sauce right after my next deer hits the ground. Made 8 total quarts, 4 typical beef stew style and 4 Asian stir fry style. Haven't tried it yet but it's my first attempt at canning and I got all 8 cans to seal so I was happy. I used this guy's video as a go-by

Also got my new Millennium M7 today and I cannot tell you how excited I am to use this stand. I think with 5 of these steps I can literally be up in any tree I want in less than 15 minutes all while carrying less than 40#.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TP86JH6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/rivers-edge-grip-rail-4-pack?a=1937219

Josh/OH, Holt and boonerville like this.
  9. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    I absolutely love canned venison. That's my primary way to preserve my deer anymore. I have a vacuum sealer which is great but canning makes the meat tender, you don't have to be as picky trimming the meat and just cut in chunks, add salt and beef boullion, cook for 90 minutes or so at pressure and you are done. No freezer burn, no electricity, just great tasting venison. I would be interested in your recipe for the Asian stir fry.

boonerville likes this.
  10. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You will love the m7. I have been using it the last couple years as my run and gun setup with muddy pro sticks. I picked it over my xop vantage any day. Just wait til you do a all day sit, you will see why it's so great!

11. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Cool, thanks for the input. I have the Muddy pro sticks and a Muddy Hunter which is nearly identical to the XOP Vantage. I don't think I have used either in 3 seasons. Just too darn heavy for as deep as I go in MI. Given my recent discovery that "my" normal public land area is under threat of invasion, I needed to get light, fast, and keep my tree options open. I almost got the M60 instead but the comfier seat wasn't worth extra $40 and 5#.

Did you mod the seat bolt in any way? I'm thinking of using a spring pin from an old ladder stand. Don't want to drop that sucker in the woods.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  12. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Youth season has been good! My good buddy's 10 year old son shot a stud 13 pointer Saturday evening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kb1785, Josh/OH, Jake/PA and 3 others like this.
  13. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I used about 1/4 teriyaki and soy, 1/2 bottle of ginger sesame marinade, 1/4 cup of Thai chili sweet sauce, little brown sugar, and some dark beer. Minced garlic and red pepper chili flakes to taste. Whisk together in a bowl. Add 50% of that to the venison in a glass bowl to marinate. While that was doing its thing, I drank the rest of said beer and maybe another one while I chopped home grown Anaheim peppers, green bell peppers, and a jalapeño with some store bought red bell peppers, broccoli and cauliflower florets and some rough chopped mushrooms with shredded cabbage and carrots. Put the remainder of the sauce/marinade in the veggies, gave that a toss or two and then I went about prepping/sanitizing the can stuff.

Once that was done I poured off the excess from the meat and then added the meat to the veggies, mixed it up and got down to canning. I did not add any salt b/c the Asian sauces already had a lot. This was all kind of freestyle so I'll let you know how it tastes later this week.

kb1785 and boonerville like this.
  14. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Cool looking deer. Make a nice Euro with all that character. Who says it's too hot to hunt?

While I agree a mid-late October heat wave will make deer lay low, I haven't noticed any slow down in their activity with the current heat wave we've been having. Seems to me they've just continued on with their summer patterns. Last weekend I had deer on their feet as late as 1030 am and back up as early as 345 pm.

Not that I want to be lugging 30# on my back through the woods in 90*+ temps but they don't seem to be bothering the deer much.

kb1785 and boonerville like this.
  15. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't take the seat bolt out, just leave it in with the seat folded out. It hangs past the platform when folded, but doesn't get in the way. I have since wanted a even lighter setup and have only hunted from a saddle, you should give one a try, lots of fun and very light. I got the Aero hunter Kestrel, just came out about a month ago.

dnoodles likes this.
  16. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Washed all my hunting clothes over the weekend and checked some cameras on public. One camera crapped out on me, but the other got a decent buck on it. Feeling good about that spot for at least early season - has some heavy trails and a lot of oaks.

Side note - Let's get a group text going if everyone is down for that.

17. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    I will definitely give that a try. That sounds delicious.

18. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    Did a lot of prep work this weekend also. Checked the bow out good, making sure everything was tightened up and quiver tension adjusted to my liking. Did arrow prep, new nocturnals and broadheads. I am going to try the Rage Trypan for deer this year as I used the Hypodermics the last couple of years and the Trypans seem more durable. Still have to do the preseason clothes wash.

19. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    the beer or the sauce?

I realized after re-reading my post that my measurements were probably clear as mud and I forgot Hoisin sauce. 1 part each teriyaki, Hoisin, and soy; 2 parts the ginger sesame sauce. How much of all that depends obviously on how much meat you are doing. I used a quarter cup of the Thai chili sauce because I was finishing off the bottle. I used about half a beer but more or less wouldn't make much difference except how much liquid you want. I use this mix (or close variations of it) all the time for stir fry at home; it works on pork, chicken, and venison. Just never canned it before. The beauty of the sauce is the flavor profiles all compliment each other and it's hard to overpower one with the other. In lieu of the Hoisin I have used honey.

kb1785 likes this.
  20. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen saddle-style seats before but I had to google the Aero hunter to see it in action. Holy crap. That's extreme mobility to the max!

Holt likes this.