Team 1 - Death from Above

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by Beehunter, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cool! Good luck tracking her down. Hopefully, it's a quick and easy retrieval. Looking forward to pictures.

Points on the board man, way to go!

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Deer recovered. May be the worst shot I have put on a deer since I was a teenager. She took one giant step forward right as I released. I hit her in between the last two ribs. I can't believe she only lived about 15 seconds. Found her 5 yards inside the tree line. She maybe made it 20 yards. I was blessed that she passed quickly as I felt horrible. Posting to the score board momentarily. I got the monkey off my back! Now time to get back after a buck!

I tell myself every year that I am going to take a doe early and I don't! I am going to quit passing early...

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Posted!!!

[​IMG]

4. Beehunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome............congratulations! Sometimes those "what-we-think-is-a-bad-shot" shots turn out fine in the end. It looks like this was the case with this doe. You have no control over that last second movement when the arrow is on the way. All we can do is wait for the best shot window, and send the arrow.

So............now that you have that tag out of the way, it's on to filling that buck tag. Good luck..........I have a feeling that you will be posting another red arrow alert before Christmas! :tu:

5. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    congrats

6. Beehunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted this afternoon. Saw 2 smaller racked bucks cruising together. One small 8 and one decent sized 6. It was a nice brisk afternoon to be in the woods.

I really like late season bowhunting. It doesn't have the action of November, but the deer are less jittery. Most all the leaves are down, so visibility is better. As long as my feet are warm, I'm good to go. Trying to get a few more points for team #1! :)

7. TacticalDestroyer340

TacticalDestroyer340 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Back in the stand tomorrow!!!

8. Beehunter

Dislikes Received:
    Me too! Good luck, and be safe.

9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Going to prep tomorrow am and hit the stand mid afternoon.

10. Beehunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted this morning, and didn't see any deer. Just a fox cruising thru right after daybreak. We didn't have a good wind for our best spots, but I took what the wind gave me.
    For some reason, mornings have cooled off. I think I will put my efforts into afternoon hunts for the next few days and see how that works out. I prefer morning hunts, so maybe I'll get back out early a.m. when we have a right wind for my better stands.

11. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yah, I'm up bright and early this morning. It's not because I'm hunting. Sicker then a dog. Couldn't come at worse time. End of season and going into a holiday week. :(

12. Beehunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh crap man.............that really sucks! I hope you get to feeling better REAL soon. Screw hunting...........you sure don't want to be sick for Christmas. :sad:

13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in!!! Happy to report I believe I have kicked the bug to the curb. Still feeling a bit weak. Going to get out a bit today. Check some trail cameras and stuff. I think it will do me some good to get moving around a bit. How is everyone else doing? Seeing any activity in the field?

14. Beehunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rained all day yesterday here, and more on the way this afternoon and tomorrow. I did venture out this morning and check camera cards. I'm still getting pictures on a consistant basis, but mostly does and smaller bucks. With family activities both Christmas Eve and Christmas day, I won't be in a stand again until Friday.

If the temps would cool down a bit, that would help a lot. I talked to a few hunting friends today, and they are also experiencing limited deer movement. Without cold weather, and a need for the deer to move to feed, it will be more of the same. I'm not discouraged by this, and I'm going to keep hunting.

I wish everyone a very blessed and Merry Christmas, and a safe, happy and healthy 2015!!! :tu:

15. TacticalDestroyer340

TacticalDestroyer340 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys I took a shot on a shooter this afternoon... good 8 point probably 130 ish. He came with 3 doe at a public land spot and I got busted early by the lead doe... It went downhill from there as you can imagine... I had a small window at about 45 yards and rushed the shot... I feel comfortable at that range but I should of held off given how everything played out.. good news is it was a clean miss just over his back. I still have till the end of January to get it done... back at it tomorrow with the mussle stuffer and the bow will be back in hand on Sunday... hunting conditions were awesome today ... hopefully they keep up through the weekend!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Does, Does, and more does.... Had 5 within bow range tonight. Not a buck in sight.....

17. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Was at it again this evening. Had a basket 8 and 2 does within bow range around last light. I was so ready to get it over with! The buck cam in first. Had him on a rope at 40. At 35 yards he stops to eat, hard quartering to me. All the sudden he lifted his head, looking back behind him, did a 180 and away he went.... Grrrrr........

18. Beehunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hang in there man, I KNOW it's gonna happen for you, and soon! :tu:

19. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Well - i'm officially done for the season. I'd like to get out in Minnesota one more time before new years - but I don't think it will happen. Stay after it guys! Once the season is done... ITS DONE - and then we talk about it for 9 straight months!

20. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Today is the day! It's down to the wire. Last evening sit of the season. Going to try to get in early!